Question Circular saw suggestions

We are in need of a new gas powered circular saw. It will be used for venting wood / roof and metal when needed.
    What brand and CC do you recommend? Also blade suggestions .

Forum Member

If you are getting a circular saw, go for the Partner K-12.

For blades, go with the Warthog.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, you can't beat the Partner K-12. Very powerful, very durable, IMO.

Forum Member

ditto ...

Do you use chain saws also?

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

There is one choice in this category: Partner K-12. Only problem is torque pull at full RPM which is a small issue when you learn to handle the saw. As for blades: Warthog, no doubt about it. We have tried all the different saw types in my career department. Makita, Stihl, etc. The Makita bogs down and won't build up sufficient RPM's in smoke (Small problem in the fire service huh?) and the Stihl just doesn't seem to have the power to get through multiple layers of roofing material. However the Stihl was excellent as a forcible entry only saw on overhead doors, window bars, door bars and car hoods. It is lite enough and small enough to handle easily and doesn't have the torque issues that the K-12 does at max RPM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

JeepFireNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have the K-12 & K-650 Saws and they have worked well. Although we are going to be purchasing a Cutters Edge Chain Saw, which can be used for things other than ventilation.

But if your looking for just circular saws, than the K-12 is the saw to go with.

Default Circular Saws

If your department is on a tight budget you could purchase a saw from a local store that rents construction equipment. A couple of departments in my area did this because these saws were cheaper and would still do the same job. But the other reason they bought them was that they would not be using them alot since they don't run many calls requiring ventilation and the cheaper saw was the best deal for their money. They purchased Stihl saws and they have had no problems. I guess it all depends on how much money you have to spend and how many times you plan on using the saw. Also the company I work for uses Stihl saws. We use them to cut concrete pipe and also to cut asphalt. We have never had any problems with our saws.
    Last edited by DeepRun22; 08-13-2002 at 07:35 PM.

District Chief

My suggestion is that you consider going to Chain saws. They are a bit less expensive, do a good job and weight is less...easier to control
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I think that circular saws are much more dangerous then chain saws

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that a good chain saw is important. A chain saw & circular saw are both excellant pieces of equipment and have their place on the fireground. On the roof of a SFD, a good chain saw is better than a cut off saw. But, this was about circular saws. No matter if you think they are more dangerous than chain saws or not, a chain saw is not the tool of choice for every cutting task. Burgular bars, burgular doors, multi layer commercial roofs, roll up doors, car hoods, etc. are not meant for chain saws. Just my thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

As if there has been any other opinion, I'd go with the Partner K-12. Its really a great unit, and unlike many others it wont konk out in smoke conditions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Captain Gonzo
    If you are getting a circular saw, go for the Partner K-12.

For blades, go with the Warthog.
    This definetly the way to go. Our company has been using the Partner K-12 saw for years, and we picked up a Warthog blade a couple years ago to test and fell in love with it. Now all of our K-12's have the Warthog blade (except the ones set up for metal cutting of course).
    Last edited by Halligan; 08-21-2002 at 02:41 AM.
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Yes we have a chain saw but it is not a proper vent saw and is only good for cutting wood for the smooke house. The circular saw we have now is so old it runs on steam
    We feel, buy 1 good circular saw and change blades if necessary.
    No , not a big budget.
    The next question is how much do the K-12 go for? , Ball park?

Default QQQQ

I posted a similiar inquiry several weeks ago. I've done a lot of research since. My company has an old K12 and I was looking for input before I just went out and bought another. I agree with those above, we have a new cutters edge and it chews through ordinary pitched roofs. It's expensive, but the tool of choice for that mission.

However, as to flat roofs and Qdecking you neeed the circular saw. Thus the conclusion reached was we needed still needed both. The consesus on the circular saw was the partner K12FD saw. Be careful when you order the K12. There is an ACTIVE model that is slightly less expensive than the K12FD. The FD Model as per the literature has Fire Department modifications to the air filtration system that enables it to run better in smoky conditions. You might also see the FD saw marketed as the FIRE RESCUE varient. Spend the extra money and buy the right saw. The consensus on blades was the warthog.

Good luck, and remember ... everything we do is potentially dangerous, how we do it determines if it truly is.

Forum Member

DONT buy the Partner 650. Light but it has lots of carborator problems, and runs very hot.

My department has a couple Husquavarna Rotary saws with Wart Hog blades. They work great and are very aggressive. I was a little scared of them when I first tested one. The only tool I'd want to cut up a roof. Of coarse I'll take whats given and make do.

Dufrane 11

Default Wart Hog?

Do Partner make these blades or do you have to get them from a seperate company? I found the K-12 on the net and have contacted my usual suppliers...still waiting to hear back. I may have to go out of Province to find a dealer.

Thread Information