Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Unhappy Wichita West, TX FF killed

This is the link to this story: Wichita West, TX, FF killed

This is a section of this story:
    The firefighter was riding in a cage on the front bumper of the truck to fight the flames with a hose, officials said. That's a standard practice. The truck was heading east, and then the driver made a U-turn to better position it to battle the flames.
    Is it just me or is this kind of disturbing. I do not fight many wildland fires, but if we are barred from riding the tailboard for safety reasons...

I am not even sure what this "cage" looks like. Anyone have any insight on this. This is not a bash post, just trying to figure out how this is a "standard" practice.

God Bless the young man who lost his life. God Speed Brother...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

it sounds like maybe they have a platform of some kind on their front bumper? i really dont know havent seen anything like it

We used the same system I think. The front bumber is extened 18" or so and then a cage is built on top of it where two guys can stand. On ours the bars where extened up about 4 1/2 feet and there were bars on the side that you could lift up to climb in then closed behind you. This system makes it where you can ride on the front of the truck and put out the grassfires. We never exceeded 20mph with someone on the front. It is a lot faster and safer than pulling hose and walking beside the truck(and less stressfull). We found this position to be the best for getting at the fire and the easiest on the truck(i.e. less heat). Our units also had large attic mask systems on them so you did not have to breath the smoke, they lasted about 3 hours with two people using them. Well that is about as good as I can discribe it with out pictures.

My codoleces to the people involved in this tragedy
    D308

I live in the Texas Panhandle, and there are a number of departments that use these type platforms on their grass rigs. We do not. I personally do not like them. They block the driver's line of sight, but they also allow the firefighters up front to direct the driver. Our trucks have beds on the back with the tank in the center. There are bars built up around the bed to prevent us from falling off. I am sorry that it happened.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend." John 15:13

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we use to have a few brush (grass) fire trucks that had seats on the front bumper. they did include a seat belt along with a redline and nozzle. no one was supposed to drive over 20 mph. they weren't bad except for when driving through mesquite trees.

our current brush truck has the platform on the back now. no one rides on the back when responding to the call, only after units are on scene and someone is driving slowly like 5-10 mph. these type units are the norm in texas.

condolences to the family and friends of the fallen.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

http://www.publicsafetyphotos.com/lphotos2/BoosterI.jpg Here is a picture of a truck with a similar system. Thought It Might Help.

D308

Thread Information