Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with Mr Bennett 100 percent. Bush talks about pork - but vetoed the bill because his pork was not in it (AIDS and the Palestinians-both overseas pork). So to say pork was the reason he was cutting the funding is pretty damn hypocritical of him.
    As for boycotting the memorial - who's to say how many more names will be on it next year due to cutting this funding. It's a political visit for Bush to be at the memorial - why shouldn't the IAFF make their own statement. It's D.C. for crying out loud - everything is political and not of meaning.
    Sorry to say I voted and supported him. Hopefully we can find a stronger President next time around that is more focused on America's needs.

Was doing some research on the bill and found this press statememnt by OMB director Mitch Daniels that gives a little insight to the 5B cut..It does mention that they may go after firefighting money due to the heavy wildfire season, whether that means grants or not who knows..

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0020813-6.html

but the skinny of it all is he killed our money
    who's to say how many more names will be on it next year due to cutting this funding
    It's funny how people keep remarking about taking away money. The money was never there, it was ADDITIONAL funding for the lucky few that manage to win GRANTS. This does not cut anyone's budgets, it does not reduce anyone's staffing, it does not remove equipment. This was EXTRA money! It amazes me how much people are complaining about money that was not there to begin with. You may never have seen any of this money anyhow as it was for GRANT winners. If you don't win a grant, no money.

Most of the funding was for them and to protect the rest of us if this type of event should ever take place again.
    Wrong - most of the money was for Election Campaign reform, road repairs, other non fire/emergency related items. That is why it was and should have been vetoed.

Forum Member

Post Bad image for the fire ervice

To protest at a memorial service for our own brothers and sisters of emergency services, would make us look bad! Protest, yes, throw all the ammo we can to put the heat on the politicians, but please can you honestly say you could stand beside a family still mourning for the loss of their loved one and shout down or raz the pres over money! The fire service is trying to build a better image not look like insensitive whiners. We need to consistently remind and show our needs, be firm, and UNITED!!! The NRA flooded DC with mail trucks around the block full of cards and letters to elected officials to make a point and it worked for them why not us?? Lets get to work!

Webteam,

No need to create an interactive web page to e-mail our goverment representatives like one poster has ask. Here it is.

http://www.congress.org

Maybe you could display it on the fornt page for everyone to see.

Just a thought.
    Non Volunteering Volunteer (Retired)

Just emailed, the Pres, 2 Senators, a House Rep

Angry Bush kills extra 150 million

Lets not point a finger at one individual. The truth is, like so many other well intended bills, congress wants to add on so many admendments and add ons that the original purpose of the bill becomes very distorted.

Once again we see a lack of bi-partisonhip creating a problem and not responding to the true issue at hand. S*%t-can the politics, do what needs to be done and get the money to the fire service for training the front line home troops!

VOTE: These positions should not be a lifetime job. If they can't get in there and keep their country and it's people and service's a priority then they need to go, and don't think that it is just one individual.

Upon reading more about Bush killing the money, I would have probably done the same thing. When congress told him that the money all or nothing had to be spent, when it included alot of extra BS in the bill, I can't say I blame him for killing the bill.

At first, I was just like we all were..MAD AS HELL. I am now seeing the picture a little clearer that I have read more about this. The only person(s) to blame for this not being passed, is all of the congress members that keep adding and adding to the bill. I know that is who I am blaming for this not passing.

Thanks and BE SAFE
    Assistant Chief
    Tim Whitham
    Wood Heights Fire Protection District

What im hearing here is a lot of people that think the money is coming out of their pockets and the big bad pres did it. Remember that 150 mil is only 3% of that total 5 billion that congress wants to spend or flush? before you point your finger make sure you point it in the right direction.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Exclamation Stop the whining

Geez everyone.... where was all this complianing 3 years ago when we had NOTHING! Be gratefull that someone had the forsight to fund some of the issues we have been searching for.
    So the Prez kills a bill stuffed with pork. I would have done the same with all the crapola riding on it. Dont even try to blame the Prez for future FF fatalities either, can anyone accurately document how many lives were spared because of the FireAct? Use that info, put it out there for all to see. That may be more effective in finding more $, than crying and boycotting a hallowed event like the NFFF memorial. Bones, you hit this one sqaurely on the head!

Thread Information