Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post HAZMAT Response supplies

I am a firefighter at a military installation and I have recently earned my hazmat technician cert. The question I have pertaines to our HazMat trailer. Where can i find a list of required or recommended equipment? I have looked in all kinds of books, NFPA, and other resorces and thats the one thing i cant find. We are currently purchasing newer equipment for our unit and our new WMD unit, however a guidlone would be a great asset. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    A1c John Miele

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Slayer.. cant really say that I have seen a requirement list of sort for equipment needed. Guess it kind of depends on budgets and needs of the community as to how in depth ones equipment goes. When you start getting into the offensive mode of things then of course there have to be certain steps taken and the equipment or resources capability in order to even start this mode of operation (ex. PPE's, decon, SCBA's etc..). I will be more than happy to list some of the equipment that we carry on our rigs and maybe this may help ya or give ya something to think about. I will e-mail them to you. Also if anyone else is interested in seeing what we carry then please feel free to email me at hazmatroz@go.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stocking your truck depends on what calls you expect to run. My team carries a couple chlorine and modified chlorine kits. Since many treatment plants in the area hand that product. A kits for small patches, ranging from plugs to tension straps, and also B kits. Our decon setup is cheep, 4 garden hoses connect to a manifold for connecting to a 1 3/4". Shower rods, broom sticks, 20 cones, 4 children swimming pools about 5' in diameter, plenty of absorbents, soda ash, lime, sand, ph paper, 55 gallon drum, pump, grading(or milk crate bottoms, tarps and bench. That shouldnít cost over 1,000 at Wal-Mart. It is best to check out other teams to see how they are equipped. That setup will work of most calls. However, mass casualties and injured victims you need a conveyor or something to support a backboard in the decon line. If a product shouldn't get airborne you will need an inflatable shelter or a frame made of PCV pipes and tarps. One tactic I saw was using a 100+ ladder truck with the ladder fully extended forward with several tarps draped on each side. An instant decon corridor. I did set that up once to see how well it would work. My team needs more and bigger tarps for that setup.

Thread Information