Default I.S.O. Audit Tips.....HELP !!

I am preparing to go through my first ISO audit and welcome any hints to prepare myself for this. Anything concerning training reports, testing procedures, anything that can give me a heads-up would be appreciated. Thanks....Bill

Forum Member

As much as I hate to do this ...

Go to http://www.isoslayer.com/ - near the bottom of the page, click on "Your Next Rating Book." There's a Word document you can download that may help.

Stay Safe

We went through an inspection last year. We just took the pre-inspection questionaire and gathered the information it requested. We put together a 4" thick three ring binder that had everything in it. When the ISO guy asked a question, it was just a matter of flipping to correct page and the answer was right there. Our inspection took less than 2 days.

On thing that the ISO inspector really liked was our maps. We had 3 laminated maps (3' x 3') made of our district. One showed the boundries of each of our 14 water districts. The other two were detailed road maps where we put the locations of fire stations, water sources, 3 story buildings, ect.

If you have any other questions just email me at jloops@att.net

MembersZone Subscriber

We did the same as Looper said. We had 2 - 6" binders full of everything they (ISO) could possibly want. This included training records, hose test records, pump test records, communications info, apparatus tool and equipment info, hydrant flow tests, personnel records, etc. We also had three (3) large wall maps showing every plug in our area and that was broken down by individual station territory. A map showing nearest automatic-aid stations and their apparatus info. was also included. Alot of leg work went into our survey and we should hopefully (Fingers crossed) see a huge jump for the good in our grade.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

One thing you don't want to do is to wait until the last minute. I tried a few years ago to get our department set up for a possible ISO audit, and the eschelon didn't want to prioritize it. Then when we got word that we were getting an audit they scurried around to accomplish things, and ended up forgetting some. So if you got time, do it efficiently.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Just use the FREE book at www.isoslayer.com We went from a Class 6 to a Class 1 with our little combination department. I have friends whose FD just this year also dropped from a Class 6 to a Class 2. I know three towns this year who got 1's using it, and two other ones in our county and 2 others in the last couple years, there are only 38 FD's with 1's. A few others in the area went Class 9/10 to Class 3 with hose lays and shuttles. So the advice works very well. ISO supports the advice and has changed grades in our state.

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

PA Volunteer, why do you hate to give out the address for the ISO guide? Just curious, because I thought we would all want to help someone out when going through something as stressfull as an ISO audit.

Forum Member

We did it in 1999. Used Steven's and his book "Your Next Rating."

Built the binder and everything, maps, pictures, contracts, agreements, you name it. For our binder, we typed the entire grading schedule and then put each item on its own page with our response like this:

**PAGE BREAK**

106. Minimum Facilities for applying this Schedule:

A. Organization

The fire department shall be organized on a permanent basis under applicable state or local laws. The Organization shall include one person responsible for operation of the department, usually with the title of chief.

The Fire Department must serve an area with definite boundaries. If a city is not served by a fire department operated solely by or for the governing body of that city, the fire department providing such service shall do so under legal contract or resolution. When a fire department's service area involves one or more cities a contract should be executed with each city served.

Response to 106.A.

The Granbury Volunteer Fire Department is organized as required, and headed by a fire chief responsible for the operation of the department. It also serves the City of Granbury and Hood County Texas. Both entities have defined boundaries.

**PAGE BREAK**

106. Minimum Facilities for Applying this Schedule:

B. Membership

The department shall have sufficient membership to assure the response of at least 4 members to fires in structures. The chief may be one of the 4 responding members.

Response to 106.B.

The Granbury Fire Department has a roster of 60 persons maximum, the current roster has 50 active firefighters. Statistics from run reports for the last several months show a response average of 22 firefighters to structure fire calls.

**PAGE BREAK**

And for the ones that need other documentation:

412. Review of Telephone Directory (TD)

A. Fire emergency number printed on the inside front cover or front page of the white pages directory.....10 points

B. Both the number to report a fire and the fire department business number are listed under "Fire Department" in the white pages directory.....5 points

C. Both the number to report a fire and the fire department business number are listed under the name of the city in the white pages.....5 points

D. If the number of the individual fire stations are listed, DEDUCT.....10 points

Response to 412

Reference the following four pages for copies of the phone directory.

**PAGE BREAK**

I've been through a few hard drive swaps since then, but I'd be happy to send you what I have if you want to try this.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

at least ya'll knew they were coming. our former chief set up for ISO to come out. he left and didn't tell anyone of the inspection so last week we get a call from ISO saying they will be in town this week. we'll find out in a few months how we did. the inspecter thinks we might move up one point but wasn't for certain.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SWFD94
    PA Volunteer, why do you hate to give out the address for the ISO guide? Just curious, because I thought we would all want to help someone out when going through something as stressfull as an ISO audit.
    Check your email ...

Stay Safe

<<

You can call Jessie Williams at the state fire marshalls office and have them hold your rating until you are ready.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

thanks
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Try this site it may help,www.isomitigation.com

Thread Information