Question Powerhawk Rescue Tool

My Fire department just purchased the Powerhawk rescue tool. I was wondering if anyone has used them. I was also wondering if you might have any tips or suggestions for things you can do with them . More of outside the standard uses. This is a great tool and I am sure there are many other uses outside the ones you get your original training on. Come on guys cough up some tricks.
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Default Power hawk tool

The tool is a good tool, however you need to other tools to use along with the power hawk. The saw-all tool, etc. are good tools and may be needed on newer vehicles as the the doors will tend to seperate.

Default just to eloborate a little

I am in the same dept with SFDLT5, the set of powerhawks we just took delivery of monday night included the following, the spreader tips, cutting tips, and there cutter/spreader tips, we also got extra cable, the sawzall and attachment to run it with the powerhawk power supply, in addition to a 40 inch ram, and extra battery. Now bring on the tips boys im sure there are some out there.

We tried the Powerhawk and weren't happy with the performance at all. The biggest problem I saw with this tool is the swivel head. When you put the tool under a strain, it would swivel and you would lose your bite. This happened more than once while we were using it.

The good thing about it is the quick deployment vs. the hurst tool. We are still using the 2 cycle engine on a portable pump.
    Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

My dept has been using the power hawk for about 5 years now. the advantages we have found it has over hydraulic tools are its fast deployment, portability, and the fact that the blades will pass each other ( to aide in cutting). disadvantages: not very strong, and they blades dont have alot of surface area so they tend to tear metal rather than spread it. as long as you know what the tool WONT do you should be very happy with it. the tool works great for forcible entry because you dont have to worry about choking down a gas motor on smoke. look into options for the power hawk such as a ram (looks like a screwjack that the hawk spreads), and a power supply on the truck that carrys it (hooks into the trucks battery)
    Proud member IACOJ

Smile

First of all Reyalsnomed , It sounds to me that you were not tightening the srew on the head properly cause we were told that we would lose our bight if we did not tighten it properly.

Second is for eng23ine , It sounds like you might have the old spreaders. Posibly the yellow ones. They have made the tips a little larger on the newer modles. Also we did get he 40 inch ram and the attachments for the truck.
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Forum Member

I've spent some time with this tool and I'll offer the following:Look twice,push once.The battery system on this tool does not lend itself to repeat failures of cutting or spreading.Practice with it a lot to minimize the amount of cycles you use the tool(true of any spreader/cutter)Think each cycle out before you energize the tool.In practice I cut/spread 1.5 complete cars before I ran out of powerpak.Part of this was due to unfamiliarity with the tool.I think once a crew had some time in with the tool you could easily do two cars before"plugging it in".I don't see you getting much more than that unless they have upgraded the battery pack.I prefer hyds.,but it is a handy tool.T.C.

Lightbulb

Youre right sfdlt5, we are still using the yellow tips. we've got a set of yellow spreader tips, a set of "o" cutters, and a set of combi tips. I didnt know they upgraded any of them. looks like time to give power hawk a call for another demo.
    Proud member IACOJ

Just thaught I would through this back to the top of the list. Still looking for tips, come on somebody has to have some tips.

Thread Information