Default Bush's Stand On Funding

I THINK THAT IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF US TO LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE WHEN IT COMES TO PRESIDENT BUSH'S STAND ON ADDITIONAL FUNDING. I AM WHOLE HEARTEDLY IN FAVOR OF ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR FIRE DEPARTMENTS. I THINK THAT WE NEED TO GEAR OUR FRUSTRATION TO THOSE THAT HAVE PROSED THE BILL AND ATTACHED ADDITIONAL EXPENDITURES TO THIS BILL, THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FIRE SERVICE. HAD THIS NOT HAPPENED, I BELIEVE THAT THE PRESIDENT WOULD SUPPORT IT.

IN REFERENCE TO THE GRANTS IN GENERAL, THE GRANT WRITING ITSELF IS RIDICULOUS FOR A DEPARTMENT THAT DOES NOT HAVE WHAT MOST WOULD REFER TO AS A PORFESSIONAL GRANT WRITER, OR THE BENFIT OF FULL-TIME STAFF TO PREPARE THE GRANTS. THE WHOLE PROCESS, IS OVERWHELMING FOR THE SMALLER DEPARTMENTS THAT REALLY NEED THE GRANTS TO IMPROVE THEIR LEVEL OF SERVICE. THOSE THAT ALREADY HAVE, CONTINUE TO RECEIVE. IT KIND OF GOES BACK TO THE OLD PRINCIPLE THAT IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

Forum Member

Default Re: Bush's Stand On Funding

Originally posted by DAVID FRYE
    I THINK THAT IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF US TO LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE WHEN IT COMES TO PRESIDENT BUSH'S STAND ON ADDITIONAL FUNDING. I AM WHOLE HEARTEDLY IN FAVOR OF ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR FIRE DEPARTMENTS. I THINK THAT WE NEED TO GEAR OUR FRUSTRATION TO THOSE THAT HAVE PROSED THE BILL AND ATTACHED ADDITIONAL EXPENDITURES TO THIS BILL, THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FIRE SERVICE. HAD THIS NOT HAPPENED, I BELIEVE THAT THE PRESIDENT WOULD SUPPORT IT.

IN REFERENCE TO THE GRANTS IN GENERAL, THE GRANT WRITING ITSELF IS RIDICULOUS FOR A DEPARTMENT THAT DOES NOT HAVE WHAT MOST WOULD REFER TO AS A PORFESSIONAL GRANT WRITER, OR THE BENFIT OF FULL-TIME STAFF TO PREPARE THE GRANTS. THE WHOLE PROCESS, IS OVERWHELMING FOR THE SMALLER DEPARTMENTS THAT REALLY NEED THE GRANTS TO IMPROVE THEIR LEVEL OF SERVICE. THOSE THAT ALREADY HAVE, CONTINUE TO RECEIVE. IT KIND OF GOES BACK TO THE OLD PRINCIPLE THAT IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.
    Not true....
    90% of the department who recieved grants wrote the grant applications and narratives by themselves...I know I wrote the grant narrative for my FD's application. Part of the problem is that a lot of the smaller FD's did just what Congress did to the homeland security bill...loaded their grant request with "pork". At a Fire Act grant writing seminar, the gentleman from FEMA told the story of a small rural department (15 members) that requested funding for a custom chassis pumper/tanker with all the bells and whistles. What they requested in addition to the equipment to go with this unit were 15 complete SCBA units with spare cylinders, 15 thermal imagers and 15 sets of "one size fits all" turnouts. Their request alone was over $1 million..and they wonder why they didn't get funded. Some grants applications were handwritten on yellow legal pads, as if they were an afterthought. Some grant applications just asked for money.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-16-2002 at 07:47 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Dave Frye-

I do believe that you are right with regards to the bill itself, those senater's and member's of congress who "lined the bill with extra expendatures" should have thought twice. The president probobly would have passed a bill with no problem, if it was just for "Fire Act" and other related programs.

Also I would have to agrre with the captian on this one, most departments actually wrote there own grants. It's to bad that not every department can recieve a grant but, it's more like a lottery, just hope that your # get's picked!!

On another related issue, the IAFF should be ashamed that they are even considering a boycot of memorial service!! If they would look at the big picture, they would see what the rest of us do. The president should not be condemmed for acting as a responsable leader!!!!!
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Unhappy

The IAFF should be very ashamed of themselves. For even considering a boycott. Makes me wonder what are their motivations Political? I would bet that if they polled their members they would not back such actions. The Pres. is the most PRO. emergency service one we have seen in along while. and should be praised for what he has done so far.
    I am a police officer also and I saw what the previous adminstration did with their so called 100,000 new officers program at first it was backed until it was relized to be a scam which did not even happen
    JUST MY THOUGHTS ONLY, PLEASE FORGIVE ANY SPELLING GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The "pork" subject reminds me of a fire chief I know of who made an impassioned plea to the town council to authorize a bond to replace and/or upgrade the SCBA's that were being used in the dept. However, when the council looked at the proposed bond ordinance, the largest single cost item was a brand new vehicle for himself...to replace the almost brand new vehicle he was currently using. The council threw out the whole thing due to his dishonesty. He retired less than a year later.

Shame on the IAFC for their answer to the funding cut. Congratulations President Bush for standing up to Congress for trying to tie in money that has nothing to do with Homeland Security or the emergency services. It's about itme somebody stood their ground. This is not a slap in the face of the fire service, it is a slap in the face of Congress. They should be ashamed for trying to ride the wave of sympathy for the fire service, by adding rediculous monetary requests and mandating an all or nothing requirement to passing the bill. I am sure that the funding will comethrough eventually, but with a little different look to it.

Way to go President Bush.

IAFC, wake up. Don't be too big for your britches.

Chief Bixler

SOUTH WEST FL ON GASPARILLA ISLAND IN CHAROLETTE HARBOR

Hi all just my thought i do not feel that that the fed. is responsable to give our departments money if you need a new fire truck then your community should buy it.

about the iaff i'm a paid and vollie firefighter and i feel that the iaff is a money grabing, back stabing organisation that dose care about the fire service but only how much money it can get

thanks mike dangelo

Thread Information