Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Ventelantion K-12-14 or chain saw

When venting a typical house fire why do you prefer to use and why?

A k12--14 or a chain saw.

My department's sop says k14, most of the rescue crews what chain saws.

thanks for your imput!
    DixieFire53, Lt. E-12 FF/EMT-P, Local 272

41Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Vent Saws

We use the K-650 Partner Saw. It is smaller and lighter than the K-12 and is great for making roof cuts and for forcible entry. We don't use chainsaws for ventilation, only cutting trees!

The Partner Saw is great but don't forget the reliable pick-headed axe!

We use the K-12 and the Cutters edge chain saws for roof venting, it depensda on the type of roof and the roof jakes preference.

Always bring an axe with you...remember Murphy's Laws of Firefighting, Truckie section...

"K-12's and chain saws always start on the ground."
    "K-12's and chain saws never start on the roof!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

haven't had a chance to use a k-12 or 14 saw yet but the chainsaw works great as long as the blade is the proper type. either one is better then an axe but like gonzo stated carry a back up.

either way just remember not to cut the stud.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

I have to agree with Gonzo, it all depends on what kind of roof your have. Personally a regular house fire I like the chainsaw and/or axe. If you are just going up to vent why talk too much bulky equipment. Now if you are at a working fire in a industrial warehouse and trenching, you should take the bigger equipment. But again, its all preference.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

MembersZone Subscriber

Single family dwelling use the Echo Quick Vent chain saw. For a flat roof apartment bulding use the K-12. For a pitched roof apartment building use the chain saw. Commercial structure of any type use the K-12.

And as said before, bring an axe. It always starts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Has anyone out there used the bullet type chains?

Also, 41 Truck, have you ever experienced the carburator problems with the K-650, or at least the first generation of them?

Wink

We use The CuttersEdge.We use it for venting only.Easy to start and easy to control.

FTM-PTB-EGH-KTF-RFB
    LEATHER FOREVER

Default ROOF SAW

WE USE THE CUTTERS EDGE SAW ON SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL ROOFS. THE K-12 IS USED FOR FLAT ROOF, COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL ROOFS. I LIKE WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN THE NEW SUPER-VAC SAW. CHECK THIS ONE OUT FIRST BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANYTHING. WE ARE ARRANGING A COMPARISON BETWEEN THE CUTTERS EDGE, SUPER=VAC AND QUICK VENT SAWS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Depends on the job

We have both. Echo Quick-Vent and a K-950 saw. For a typical shingled roof it's hard to beat the Quick-Vent with a carbide chain. Cuts wood and shingles like butter. You will trash the chain in a heartbeat on a sheet metal roof.

That's were we use the K-Saw with an abrasive or multi purpose carbide. We have the "Wart-Hog" blade for the K-Saw too. It works great on wood and shingled roofs but the K-Saws gyro effect can be tricky on steep surfaces.

See if you can borrow or test run a few. Each has it's strong points.

41Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default K-650 Carburator

Halligan Hook,
    No, I haven't had any problems with the carb on the K-650 Partner Saw. Have you experienced any problems?

Let me add also to this post that the Partner Saw whether is it a K-650 or the 12 is a very versatile saw for cutting metal concrete and wood. The blades can be changed easily in the field but we carry 3 saws, one with each type of blade. Chain saws can only cut wood.

Forum Member

DixieFire53, I prefere the K-12 over the chain saw. Both cut well but the K-saw does not need bar oil and it is far easier to clean up after use. Our chain saw draws oil on a vaccum and if my people forget to open the reservoir cap and break the vaccum after using it oil runs all over the compartment floor and makes a heck of a mess.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Chain saws only cut wood?? We run with a Huskq.....(whatever) with a 21" bar and a carbide tip chain and it eats most anything. Also, a K12 with a composite blade and a "Cutters Edge" chainsaw with a depth guage. For tight spots we use DeWalt battery sawzalls with demolition blades, a skil saw with assorted blades, and, last but not least, we still carry an old fashoned axe. The same amount of equipment is carried on the Tower ladder and the Heavy Rescue, while the engines have a chain saw and a sawzall. Hope this helps...Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Talking thanks

I just wanted to thank all of you for your imput!

thanks
    DixieFire53, Lt. E-12 FF/EMT-P, Local 272

41Tk - We had the first generation of the 650's and were having alot of problem dialing the carb setting in. They ran very rough, and alot of tinkering had to be done. Even then, the more thay ran, the more the setting would be thrown off, and then they would have to be reset. Apparently the newest generation of these are much better.

Thread Information