Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Further Updates To Cap Rouge Ii Capsize

This is a further update to the LODD that I posted earlier.

Boat sinking'tragic mystery

Times Colonist (Victoria) Friday, August 16, 2002

Ward Perrin, Southam Newspapers / CAP ROUGE II HAULED UPRIGHT: Workers attach cables to the Cap Rouge II off Delta after righting the capsized fishing vessel Thursday.

Amanda Mabberley and her brother Wyatt, shown in a family photo, died on fishing boat.

VANCOUVER -- The Cap Rouge II was righted and towed to a Fraser River boatyard Thursday so Transportation Safety Board investigators can find out why the fishing boat capsized, killing two children and three adults.

After the day-long process of getting the boat upright, safety board Capt. Brian Lewis said a first look at the seiner shows no signs of why it capsized.

"It still remains a tragic mystery," he said.

Vancouver coroner Jeannine Robinson released autopsy results. The cause of death for Rod Wilson, Tony Head, and Kathy Mabberley and her children Amanda, 11, and Wyatt, 9, is consistent with drowning, she said.

As the seiner was flipped over by a crane, the hull showed no damage, and when the vessel was righted there were no signs of damage to the wheelhouse.

None of the windows was broken and the mast and rigging were still in place.

"There doesn't seem to be any holes in the hull -- it is in relatively good condition," said Lewis.

Lewis also said there were no open hatches. He said the rudder was not at an angle to indicate there were problems when it turned turtle. "The rudder is canted to port," he said. "It's not hard to port -- about 17 to 18 degrees."

Lewis said he did notice that the fishing net, which was wound around a large drum at the stern of the boat at the time of the accident, was longer than those used in the Fraser River area.

"This net is used specifically for fishing on the west coast and it has a maximum length of 300 fathoms, rather than the 200 fathoms you would normally see in the inner waters of the straits," he said. "That's a consideration."

While the load the boat was carrying will be a factor in the investigation, the number of fish still on board won't likely be a good indicator of how much the Cap Rouge II was carrying when it capsized.

It's likely that fish fell out of the boat while it was being towed from the open water to port in Delta. Also, seals could have been eating fish from the boat as it remained overturned, said Lewis.

Transportation Safety Board spokeswoman Julie Hebert said reports from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans indicate the boat was not overloaded with fish.

The effort to right the Cap Rouge II began Thursday morning as air was pumped into the 14.7 metre seiner to help raise it from an almost submerged position.

The tall, red crane turned the seiner onto its side, where it bobbed for a couple of minutes before finally righting itself. Water slipped through the slats by the boat's deck and an orange life preserver drifted out from the vessel.

Within minutes, a handful of people involved in the salvage operation walked on board.

They passed down pieces of clothing and personal items to officers in an RCMP boat alongside as water sucked by pumps gushed out of the hold.

The RCMP's role in all incidents is to assess whether or not there was criminal negligence involving death, said RCMP Sgt. Peter Attrell, head of operations at the West Coast Marine Detachment.

He had just finished interviewing a man who saw the Cap Rouge II capsize off Sand Heads and put out the mayday at 9:03 a.m. Tuesday.

Attrell said the survivors Ben Mabberley and Charlie Head were interviewed by RCMP officers when they were rescued.

"It was done right there. Our members took statements and took photographs."

After the accident, the RCMP dive team took underwater photographs of the capsized vessel, said Attrell.

Coast guard divers arrived at the accident scene 22 minutes after the mayday call. But because of a safety policy that forbids these divers from entering a submerged boat, the crews -- which still train to enter overturned boats -- were forced to wait 90 minutes until a team from 442 Squadron at CFB Comox arrived to do the job.

Coast guard regional director Mike Henderson said the policy is necessary under Canada Labour Code regulations.

The accident has MPs calling for changes to the policy.

"It's like saying to a fire department you can't enter a burning building," said Delta-South Richmond MP John Cummins.

Burnaby MP Svend Robinson demanded the House of Commons fishery committee begin "a full, urgent inquiry" into the regulations.

"It's absolutely appalling that these people should not be able to respond," said Robinson.

© Copyright 2002 Times Colonist (Victoria)

The LODD was Tony Head, a member of the Galiano Island Volunteer Fire Dept. Although technically not a Line of Duty incident, but still a tragic loss of a Brother.

For interest sake, the Times Columnist website is: Victoria Times Columnist
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thanks for the update 27, I was curious about where this was going to go. It's good that they are looking to change the regulations regarding the dive teams, no one will ever know for sure, but maybe if the original dive team had been able to go in the little girl would still be with us.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Some further info on this one regarding the dive teams. Canadian Labour Law states that divers may not enter into a dangerous situation (such as a capzised ship or boat) without having a full back up team ready and waiting... sounds like a nautical version of a RIT.

The comment from the Fire Dept was taken out of context and not reported correctly. The local radio station has a recording of that conversation and the Fire Officer makes the point that we do not enter a burning building without the proper protection which includes a full back up team. Nothing but common sense there.

In this instance, the CG and police dive teams were not sufficient to do the job because of the labour regulations. Once the Military SAR dive team showed up, the job got done. Unfortunately they were located in Victoria, and the Aircraft had to fly in from Comox, approx 25 min flight to Vic and another 25 to get on scene. As with most military functions the Labour Codes do not normally apply. Sometimes good sometimes not so good.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

One things sure in this business... when it's all said and done, you'll walk away with your own share of nightmares.
    Be Safe, Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

FSRIZZIO, you are absolutely correct on that one for the crews who attended. For better or for worse, I work in the Victoria Rescue Coordination office. I don't get the direct hands on stuff for SAR but reading the case files, and sometimes sitting with the Controllers while they are working a case is bad enough.

Without trying to down play the tragedy of the event, from the time of the original call until just after lunch it was accepted as an almost "routine" SAR... meaning adults had run into a bad situation, and some had survived, some had not. When we found out that there were children onboard, the entire tempo and atmosphere in the room changed for us all.

I can only imagine what went through the minds of the attending crews when they got that news. Mostly though, I would rather not let my imagination go that far... I know how it felt from long distance and that was bad enough.

Thread Information