Thread: auto rescue kit

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default auto rescue kit

question? i've seen auto rescue kits that include a seat belt cutter, a window punch and something that looks like a tent stake. they had them for sell at the firehouse expo and i've seen them on other websites. such as http://www.firefightingusa.com/html/AFT_main.htm

i was just wondering what the tent stake piece of metal is used for. i didn't get a chance to ask the dealer at the booth.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but I saw the RESCUE 7 tool at the firehouse expo, it had a glass saw, seat belt cutter, valve-stem remover, straight screwdriver, dead-bolt operator, and on the top was a black pencil size stream light, that you could keep on, or have it come on when you squeeze the tool. Is that it?
    It is always easier to get forgiveness than permission !!

That L-shaped tool is actually a key tool used for forcible entry, which you're probably familiar with. After pulling the cylinder on a commercial door, you can activate the locking mechanism inside with the key tool and open dead bolts, etc.
    As far as for vehicle accidents, the key tool works well in opening the trunk on some vehicles. You first use the point on the haligan bar(and a striking tool) to remove the lock on the trunk, and then you look through the hole you just made and try to see a slot(unsure what the proper name is)that was connected to the lock. If you put the long end of the key tool in the slot and turn it like a key the trunk will open. A long flat head screwdriver works just as well.
    I've opened some trunks this way after car fires and had no problems. This would probably be my last choice though on an accident, quicker to use the owner's key, the trunk release switch inside the vehicle, or a spreader to open the trunk.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

thanks for the replies, that does make some sense kbud.

wlynch, it's just a six inch piece of metal with a 90 degree bend at one end and the other is slightly pointed. it came in a bag with the seat belt cutter and the window punch. it's probably inch wide.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Lightbulb Here is a rescue kit!!!!

All,

We built our own "rescue box". We took a toolbox and built up a kit based on the things we use frequently on extrications. This box is a work in progress and the contents change as we see a need to change it.

We have the following items in the box.

2-3 pair trauma shears.
    2-3 window punches
    2 glas-master tools
    1 12'x 12' tarp for covering pt.
    2-3 utility knives
    2 small pry bars
    1 4lb. hammer
    1 18" bolt cutter
    1-2 linesmans pliers
    1 10" crescent wrench
    1 large channellock pliers.
    2-3 rolls duct tape
    2-3 rolls electrical tape
    1 pr vise grips
    Spare sawzall blades
    2-3 pr safety goggles
    1 pry-axe
    various screwdrivers

As I said, the contents change frequently but this is typical for the kit. This box will usually be found on the hood of the car we are working on at the time. It has proved itself over the years and saves many trips to the rescue truck. It is usually one of the first things off the truck at an entrapment, along with the step chocks and the 24V Dewalt Sawzall. Work is started while the hydraulic hoses are stretched for the spreaders and cutters. It works for us.

Stay Safe,

Jim

Thread Information