Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Looking for information

What can everybody tell me about KME? Good/Bad, Design, Truck, Service, Company... Give me instances, not one word statements. Examples would be great!

Oh Boy. Here we go again!
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

What does "Here we go again" mean. I heard that these forums were a great way to get advice from comrades. I am new here, and my department is very interested in KME. Thought I could get some advice from those who have been in my position.
    The Boys with the TOYS

It means we get these posts often and everyone starts bashing every other truck manufacturer out there.

Yes, these boards are a fantastic source of information for one to obtain information.

There was a very similar posting about KMEs in this forum a few months ago. Of you can look back into the history of this forum you will find a lot of help with specs and common problems.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I'll put my 2 cents in on this. Can we say service sucks, we had to wait almost a year to get 2 flip up doors for the fire body when they inadvertinatly got ripped off. When it happened the third time, think it was b/c of the latches not holding with the body flexing, we put roll-up doors on, had them in a few weeks.

My department has 1997 commmercial cab pumper. IT has given us great service and it is well built. The salesman that sold it to us has been with us all the way. His service is outstanding. We broke a rear door spring and the factory had a new one sent to us and received in 3 working days.

MembersZone Subscriber

hi,
    weve had our kme renegade custom for 9 yrs. its been a good working truck for us to date. when highside doors got ripped off, because they were left up when it responded out of station, it went to branch factory 2 months later and came back to us within 4 weeks completed. new doors and all. we also had some other work done when it was there aux.steps, new fenderettes (cable chains did them in), new exhaust. stay safe!

Every single Manufacturer builds a lemon now and then. I don't care if they build Apple Peelers or Zippos - design & manufacture is a human involved process and humans make mistakes.

The key issue is how willing the manufacturer (and/or the sales rep) are to correct the mistake. The vast majority of Apparatus "Lemons" are the result of bad spec's (So do your homework & check it twice before you submit a RFP).

My Dept has 2 KME Commercial Chassis Trucks.
    Engine 3 is a '94 Navistar 4900 1000 Gal / 1000 GPM w/ top mount pump pannel.
    Tanker 3 is a '00 Navistar 4900 1500 Gal / 1250 GPM Side Mount w/ Rear facing 10" Square dump.

(Pictures at http://n2dfire.tripod.com/stationbio.html )

We have had a few problems with them - the most major of which was w/ the dump chute on the '00 Tanker.

We asked for a single 10" manually operated dump on the rear of the truck w/ a removable 90 Deg. elbow & chute extension. We also asked that instead of the "standard" flat rear, that they build the truck with "Beaver Tails" to match the Engine. KME did in-fact build & deliver exactly what we asked for. Unfortunately the elbow would not clear the beaver tails on either side of the truck.

After a couple of quick phone calls between our Dept. the sales Rep, and KME - it was decided that since KME didn't catch this in design review that they would (via the sales rep's company) replace the manual dump valve with an electrically operated one (which stuck out farther than the manually operated one) which would then allow the elbow to clear the beaver tail - all at no cost to us. All work was done in our station and the truck was only out of service for the day.

All in all - we're happy with the performance our trucks have given us.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

N2DFire,

How has the top mount worked for you? Do you draft much or are you all hydrants? Just wondering, since we are looking into a new truck and top versus side has been a topic of discussion.

fred54,

We draft about 99.5% of the time. We only have "wet" hydrants in a small area around the college campus of if we run M/A into the near-by town.

As far as the command style panel goes, I haven't really heard anyone complain about it. I know several folks from our outpost Dept. like it (but they have no "hands on" experience w/ it).

Although I do not get a chance to run the pump very often, I personally don't like it. The Operator has to lean way over or even step down to be able to talk to anyone on the ground, or the person on the ground has to step up. All of these present their own slip/fall hazards.

Being "up above it all" is nice, but is it worth the hassle ? - That's up to each department to decide. If I had my choice of how to do things for the next truck, I'd really like to try an pannel-less set-up similar to what the Rattlesnake FPD or Fallon, NV trucks have.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Default KME

We run a '99 KME heavy rescue (it's sometimes used on the top of the forum pages for ads). Anyway, the unit has been pretty reliable. We did have some minor issues (small leaks at crew cab vista windows, bad crimps on door cables, and a few vendor supplied problems). All in all, it has performed well after 3 years, 10,000 miles, and approximately 350 responses. As far as service, we're 19 miles from the main plant so things are usually handled in a timely manner. We even take our '75 CF Mack there for routine service. We're currently planning a new pumper in the future and while we're going to get bids from Seagrave, Pierce, etc., it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being a KME. Hope this helps.

Thread Information