Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: leaving school

Forum Member

Default leaving school

how do u guys recommend asking a new principle about leaving school for fires. any advice would be greatly appreciated by tuesday the 20th of august. thanx
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

I think you will find the general concenses here will be that you shouldn't be leaving school for fire calls. This is probably 90% of the cases. There are a few programs I have read about on here that are very well setup. They have formal agreements between the school and the department that says what they are allowed to leave for and when. Example, if you are in a testing session, you do not leave. Maybe a normal class and a significant incident, they can report to the office and sign out for the incident with the approval of the principle.

You are probably going to get a lot of crap on here just for asking about the subject, don't worry about it. Some people don't realize there are other ways of doing things besides thier way and flip out. Whatever you choose to do, research it, plan-it, write it all down nice and neat. Be specific and professional. It may not happen, or it just might work out.

Good Luck

Default Leaving School

Havent posted in awhile and figured it would be great to start posting again. I am not that much older than the Jrs in here, just graduated HS, but I dont think you should evan touch the subject of leaving school. For one main reason, you need a HS Diploma to become a Firefighter and if your leaving on calls tban your not getting your education. By educational Guidelines, here in mass, if you are to leave school at anytime of the day you are to be marked absent. After so many absentces you cant pass that grade. Getting back to the first concern. I know alot of people say that JRS are not needed because they dont do interiior attacks, but I do infact disagreew. Jrs to minimize the time it takes for a firefighter to go get something from the truck, by getting it for them. SO yes Jrs. are important, but NO I dont BELIVE they should leave school.

I am not sure about the jrs leaving school for fires. I left school on several occassions my senior year for fire and ems calls. The thing was I was not a junior I was 18 and on active status. I carried a pager all of the time and sometimes my two-way radio Which in classes like math or a complicated subject was off but in PE lunch and easy classes where the teacher did not mind It was on. It worked out good because on major calls if my pager was off the fire chief or captain would call the school and the principal would run tell me what was going on so I could leave. I did not leave on minor calls but when they needed a ambulance driver or on fires and MVA's I was only a block from the station and often the first one to the station. I would say be sure to keep you grades up if you do you may need to depend on other things than firefighting at times in the future.

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Default Ah ha....

Originally posted by captstanm1
    dfdex1 and Co11firegal...perhaps people dont post because they have realized that this is an information exchange not a joke room.
    Im begining to see what you mean captstanm about this becomeing a JOKE room. Has anybody here ever heard of the "Portal to Portal" law? If you havent then you shouldnt be leaveing school.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A few guys including my self, approached our priciple about the subject last year. We came to the conclusion that we could leave, but we had to go to the office and sign out. My parents would only let me do this if i kept my grades up. I would only leave about once or twice a year. For example, i left this past year twice, 1. for a major fire in an apartment complex, and the remainder of my day was PE, ART, and Lunch, 2. We had a gas crew working on a house, and something ignited and the house blew up, and there was multiple people injured. I think you should only be able to leave during extreme circumstances.

*Just my two cents worth

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Exclamation

Plain and simple... Junior fire & ems members should not be able to leave school, skip school, or be late for school b/c of a call... Your education is more important. In fact, juniors should only be able to attend training; and not respond to fire, rescue, ems; or any calls for that matter! They only get in the way, and whine when told "NO". They do not belong on the scene. PERIOD.

Case & Point. See what I mean by people going off like their opinion and ways are the only way it could be, should be and will be. This is obviously a person that has had a bad experience with Explorers and has become disgruntled over it. Perhaps his group of explorers were like that. That doesn't mean that Explorers everywhere else in the country are like that. The Explorers in my Dept that I am advisor for do not seem to have that problem. They know their role, they know what they can and can not do. They are very helpful on scene and many people love having them there for that reason. In fact, many of our members and OFFICERS were at one point Juniors/Explorers. The neighboring depts seem to be doing just fine too. Heck, there is an Ambulance in this state that is RUN by explorers,with the guidance and supervision of adults. They even keep an ambulance AT THE SCHOOL!

So, before you flip out like that, do not assume that because it is like that there, it is like that everywhere else. You know what happens when you ***-u-ME. He didn't ask "should we be allowed to leave". He asked how he could approach his princicple about it so he could sound professional and organized.

I also find it interesting that, based on your Birthday of 1980, and that you have been an EMT for 7 years, that you have been an EMT since you were about 15. You seem to have such a dislike for explorers yet you yourself became an EMT when you were 15?
    Last edited by nomad1085; 08-16-2002 at 11:44 PM.

Before you lash out like that you should investigate more. Explorers/Jrs. may not be helpful in your area, but the are helpful here, hell i already have 2 saves under my belt. One of them was solo, and there was no way she could be around today, if i was not there. I was the first one there by a good 5 minutes, and she was choking on dinner. Before you say all explorers/jrs are bad, you should think about it. Our last 5 chiefs of the dept have come from the explorer post, and a lot of good members. If I could not go to calls, i would have quit, and so would have numerous others. You have to keep people intrested, and also if they are getting in the way, you have failed in teaching them. They have probably never been taught on what exacltly to do at a scene, so please do not lash out at them.

Ignore this, I pushed the wrong button.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

No... I already made up my mind....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Administrator

We will not tolerate the discimination against or bashing of another individual or group within the Firehouse.com forums.

This thread will now be closed.

Thank you
    WebTeam

Thread Information