Post Hybrid Vehicles and airbag technology

I'm looking to put together a drill on how to handle Hybrid Vehicles and vehicles equipped with multiple airbags during a rescue or fire situation. Does anyone out there know if the manufacturers of these vehicles offer any training or information seminars for emergency services?

I've been following the firehouse magazine vehicle rescue section and have gathered some good information, but was wondering what other departments are doing to stay familiar with the latest and greatest in automobile technology for fire/rescue purposes.

Any information would be great.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Honda offers some handouts on procedures for emergency responders for their hybrids. Contact your local Honda dealer.

A company near me had Holmatro reps come to their building a do a full day class on New Vehicle Technologies. It was very informative and scared the crap out of me. It's almost scary what they are putting in cars these days...

Good luck.

Forum Member

I attended a rescue class by SOLO recently,they have a lot of info as do Holmatro.

MembersZone Subscriber

Both Honda and Toyota will give you info on the hybrid cars that they offer. One of our instructors got a video and everything given to us. Call your local dealers, for us they even came with a few cars to see.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mack,

The dealerships around here vary with helping out. Our local Honda service manager didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for the responders guide for their HEV's. Fortunately I knew what I needed and I explained it to him. It's kinda funny when I contacted one automaker for more info on HEV's he emailed back to me with the firehouse.com link . There is so much to learn about these cars that you can't get enough info in one spot. Sponge all the info you can. Make yourself the local guy who knows. There are a bunch of websites that can give you tons of technical info (pertinent and Not so pertinent) But the point is it helps you grasp the HEV concept more fully and the hazards associated with them and it also helps you weed out fact from rumor (fiction). Here are some links that helped me somewhat. You are gonna have to surf a bit though top find the answers you alone are looking for. (also look at the HONDA, TOYOTA, and FORD web-sites)

Here ya go:

http://www.hybridcars.com/
    http://www.cartech.doe.gov/resources/links.html
    http://www.engineering.sdsu.edu/~hev/text.html

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Forum Member

Default ERG also available online

The Emergency Response Guides for the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight are also available online and free for download.

Toyota Prius:
    Toyota Prius Emergency Response Guide (ERG) Part I
    Toyota Prius Emergency Response Guide Part II

Honda Insight
    This guidline is available in the "registered user" area on the Holmatro USA Website
    Jorg Heck
    Airbag&Co, Germany/Austria
    http://airbag.feuerwehr.org

Forum Member

I attended a seminar on Hybrid Car Technology by two Toyota safety engineers last week at the Sunnyvale Extrication Symposium.

They focused on the Prius and RAV vehicles.

While their was an enormous amount of information discussed, the emergency response "thumbrules" I got from them were:

1) Put it in "Park" and pull the key. This should kill the systems.

2) Always disconnect the 12 volt battery. This opens all relays. There are capacitors in the main battery as well as the airbags. Drain time recommended was 5 minutes.

3) NEVER mess with the orange wires! (possible 300V at up to 300A!)They are all over the place, including under the driver's rocker panel (no Halligan spike punching for a ram base).

4) You MUST wear "lineman's gloves" to safely pull a "main disconnect".

The scariest piece of information was the defrost system on the RAV. It is a clear sheet which is laminated into the entire windshield and is energized at 288 volts! Try using your Glasmaster on that!!!

Tim
    www.rescue42.com

MembersZone Subscriber

A Posting from Forum Moderator Ron Moore

Good points regarding emergency procedures when confronted with a gasoline-electric hybrid vehicle have already been presented. I want to emphasize a few safety statements:

The "Key" is the key!
    Fortunately, shutting off the ignition makes a significant improvement in our dealing with these vehicles. Pull the key and place it on top of the dash. There, it can be seen by fellow responders from all sides of the vehicle.

Orange is "Hands Off"!
    Fortunately, all gasoline-electric vehicles identify their high-voltage components by using 'traffic cone orange' colors. If it's orange, don't touch.

Hybrid Vehicle "Sleep Mode"
    Make sure you are aware of how a gasoling-electric hybrid can be totally silent yet totally alive. The gas motor can and will shut off completely under certain conditions but can come to life just about the time you realize the vehicle is running over you.

There's always "12 volts" around somewhere.
    All hybrids have two completely separate electrical systems and two batteries; one high voltage and one 12-volt. The key shuts down one. You have to do the other.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Default class on hybrids

i am working on putting together a class on hybrids in the chicago area for towers, fd, and pd. i will keep u posted
    James R Maurer
    Wreckmaster 6/7B

Be safe out there

MembersZone Subscriber

An Offer from Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

I have a PowerPoint program that specifically addresses "Emergency Procedures for Gasoline-Electric Hybrid Vehicles". Included is the Insight, Prius and the Civic Hybrid. It is designed as a self-study program that can be used in a direct delivery by an instructor or can be given to an individual and used as a computer-based program.

The Plano (TX) Fire Rescue allows me to duplicate this program and mail a CD to anyone requesting such.

I need an email request to me asking for a copy of the Hybrid program along with a good mailing address for delivery by the US Post Office. There is NO cost for this; Plano picks up the tab.

If interested, you have to send the email request to my Fire Department email address <ronm@plano.gov>
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information