Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: clueless newbie

Default clueless newbie

No, really. Totally clueless. The reason I am interested in being in the forums is due to:
    1) my son is an Explorer with the local fire department,
    2) several of my cousins are firefighters/some are retired firefighters.

I just want to be able to talk with them about their lives and understand more of what it means to be a firefighter. I am 200% behind my son choosing this career. It is honorable, it is a service necessary for our well-being, and it takes tremendous skill to do it correctly. And I admire the way firefighters look out for each other and each other's families. The outpouring of support by local firefighters when my firefighting cousin lost his son was stunning.

I have read "Report from Ground Zero," "One Nation", "Firehouse" and book by the Fire Chief whose name I can't remember (he was trapped in the stairwell with Ladder 6 and Josephine), in an effort to understand.

And now I'm here.

Cathy

Forum Member

Smile Welcome

First of all welcome, I am glad you stand behind your son's career moves, supoort from the family is the biggest thing we need as Firefighters, EMT's, First Responders, Paramedics...

Feel free to ask any question you have on your mind..

You may want to read the thread in meeting and greeting entitled "Greetings from a non-fighter". This thread was started by a non-fighter wanting to learn.. Now we have 3 non-firefighters asking questions and approximately 5 to 6 professors answering their questions...

Need anything answered don't hestitate to email me either...

Thanks, Louisiana Medic for your welcome!

I'll read that other thread before I post more here and repeat what someone else has already covered.

Cathy

Hello.... Just here to say hello.

I just started looking around today!

The firefighting things is still new to me. I just started getting involved when I started dating my now husband 2 years ago. I'm an EMT and a full-time student, but I love everything I do.

I would love to find someone to talk about things with... I'll start out by telling you our story.

Here it goes:

{Aug 15, 2000} We came home on Tuesday from an EMS convention. That day we rode 4-wheelers and just have another amazing day! That night we seporated and I went to work (a night time summer babysitting job).

While I was sleeping the phone rang.. I answered it and it was my mom. She said "Shannon, what are you doing," I said "Mom it is 4 AM {Aug 16} I was sleeping. Is there something I can do for you." She kind of had a weird pause. Then she told me! "Dave went to fight a fire tonight...", she said! (that was nothing new. Dave is a volenteer fireman and that is what Dave does!) She said "Listen to me, and listen to everything I have to say before you say or do anything. Dave was pulling a window tonight at this fire and stepped back and feel from the roof. He feel about 15-18 feet. The took him to the hospial and he broke his back! They are transferring him out (to a larger hospital) in about 30 minutes!".

I WAS SICK!!! I told her I was going to be there before he left! I called the childs mother at work and told her I was taking him to his grandmothers, I had to go. I remember calling her and dropping him off, but I don't remeber the 10 minute drive to the hospital after that! I pulled in and there was Dave's mom crying! She took me right into his room and there he was... He looked up and me.. Clapped his hands and said.."Well, don't a get a kiss babe!" Dave had so much Moriphne in him, he had no idea what he was doing. I kisses him and spent 5 minutes with him before he had to go.

I drove stright home, packed enough stuff to stay with him for just about EVER! I met his parents at their house and rode down with Daves twin and his fience!

Dave adventually got better! It was such a slow process! It was a terrible thing, but it was a blessing to us! Dave and I knew at that time, we were going to get married!
    Shannon EMT-B
    Central PA

Shannon, how incredibly scary! So glad Dave recovered.

Have you noticed how seldom 4 a.m. phone calls relay good news?

My son, the firefighter explorer, had his appendix out this summer. Both of the male nurses who worked with them expressed interest in becoming firefighters/medics. What are the odds?

Do you find acceptance among the other EMTs and firefighters to have women in their ranks?

Congrats on your career choice!

Cathy

Wink Clueless

This is wonerful!!!!!!!! I am a police officer in a very small town with not much for the kids to do but get into trouble. I am also the Vol. Fire Chief, Fire Marshal and have been very active in FD Explorer plus our local cub scout pack.I feel the biggest problem we have is getting the parents involved in the scouting program and it is great to here your words and dedication toward you sons path.
    Sadly some of the parents look at these programs as just another thing we have to drive our kids to and have nothing to do with it. Please keep up the interest in your sons activities and God Bless You..
    JUST MY THOUGHTS ONLY, PLEASE FORGIVE ANY SPELLING GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, HSFD!

BTW, I LOVE Texas! I've visited my best friend there 3 times and never have I met so many friendly, polite people (or seen so many Suburbans).

Unfortunately the department is not overly enthusiastic about the explorer unit (though one of their newest firefighters is a former explorer). Therefore my son doesn't get to spend as much time at the firehouse as he would like. The only other explorer is currently in training at the fire academy so there have been few meetings lately. But every time my son comes home from a meeting, his eyes are big and he talks a mile a minute about what he did and what he learned and how much he wants to do this as a career.

Sounds like you do it all down there - best of luck.

BTW, I hear you Texans have discovered a little thing we in Ohio invented, called "FOOTBALL"

Stay safe,
    Cathy

Forum Member

Cathy,

Go ahead and ask any question, because you may want to know more than what is given in the other thread... Feel free to ask in either thread...

Welcome Shannon, What part of Central Pa... I am originally from Northeast PA...

I like happy endings...

I'm from Centre Co. We are on the boarder between Centre and Clearfield. I now live in Osceola Mills. Near Philipsburg PA
    Shannon EMT-B
    Central PA

Great to see a parent get right behind their children!

My parents reckon I've got too much death in my life! They reckon I need to give up the rescue calls! They reckon it's time I stop giving so much of my time to help others!

I know they mean well, and they're concerned, but I really don't think they fully understand what we do, why we do it and how...

Welcome aboard, anyway. Enjoy, and ask lots of questions....

Luke

Thread Information