Thread: Halligon Tools

FIGJAM

Lightbulb Halligon Tools

So what's some of the neat tricks and things that can be done with a Halligon Tool in auto extrication? (And how are they done?!)
    Luke

Forum Member

LEAVE IT ON THE TRUCK!! haha. I honestly don't ever use it. I can make my purchase points and everything with the spreader by crushing the front or rear fender. I haven't seen the tool used for too much else, other than on a car fire for gaining access to the trunk by smashing out the tail lights.

Forum Member

Halligan bar to create purchase points in doors. Also used (with some care) along with flat head axe for breaking windows. Also used for opening trunk - pop the lock through with point, screwdriver to open inside latch. Our First Aid squad handles extrication, no the FD. However, in some of our coverage area, FD will be on scene prior to extrication truck, so they will make purchase points and such for us. We will also use it to pry open corner of hood for battery access. We also have a small halligan (about 8-10 inches long) that works great for interior trim removal.

Default HALLIGAN

My halligan has a can opener on the fork end. Car on it's side and you want to flap the roof? Punch a hole in the roof with the pick, put the can opener in the hole and pull handle down. This is a relatively quiet operation. Cut 3 sides and fold down. For a door removal, I cut the fender in front of the door, flap back, remove bolts. Use the fork end of the halligan driven with a maul or flat head axe to pry open the door enought to cut the door stop. I love mine, it's a mutiversal hand tool.

Forum Member

Not as slick for extrication, but for a fire in the engine compartment, striking the spike end into a front corner of the hood, and then pulling it back makes a nice opening to get a hose line in.

You can hammer the spike into a rocker panel to serve as a base point to position a ram against to do a dash roll when you do not have a ram-jig to push against.

The can opener is pretty efficient on the larger halligans.

You can hammer the long end into the ground to act as a buttress to stabalize cribbing or to tie off a stabalizing strap when no other solid option is readily available.

Use your imagination. The Halligan is one of those tools I like to have available when you need to improvise SOMETHING to overcome a problem.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

How about to pop a door?

Unlock the door. Take a door chock out of your pocket. Lift up on the door handle. Insert your door chock - you have now disengaged all the mechanisms of the door designed to keep it closed. You are now just dealing w/ the friction of metal on metal - most of which can be overcome w/ a halligan.

Obviously, there are many cases where this won't work. However, there are many cases where it will, and it will be faster than the spreaders.

Stay Safe

Need to put a "jimmy jack" on the clean side of a vehicle on it's side? No place to get the tip supporting the vehicle? Use the point on the bar to pierce the hood, pull down to currogate(?) the metal (gives the sheet metal more strength), insert the pointed tip of jack and you have support!
    THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Forum Member

Who the heck is this "Jimmy Jack?" Poor guy must be a probie if you're using him for stabilization

Anyway I think some decent examples of the Halligan's use have been listed, my only .5 cent of wisdom to offer is don't ever get so wrapped up in all of today's hydraulics, etc that you forget the uses of your most basic fire service hand tools. The day you take them for granted and forget about them is the day that Firefighter Murphy rode the Rescue and we all know what happens when Murphy is on the job enforcing his laws!?!?

Ok not extrication but for cars fires I shove the forked end through the grill, capture the hood cable in between the claws and rotate the bar. This tensions the cable and the hood pops open. Ofcourse this is only pracatical when the latch inside the drivers compartment has burned/melted.
    All comments are the opinion of the author, and not of any service they are a member of.

A couple of "tricks":

Break tempered side glass. If you can roll down all but 1/2" to 1" of window use the fork end to break it by placing glass between the 2 prongs-now twist the tool(the point/chisel is a good handle). The glass will also break if you just lay the tool down but the glass likes to fly a bit more.

For car fires in engine compartments. I like to cool the car down then place a flat head in the seam between the hood and front fender with the handle running parallel to the seam above the tire(the open side of the cross bracing of the hood is the key)Tap the blade of the ax into the seam with the haligan the use the ax handle as a lever and push down on the handle. This leaves a opening big enough to get a good stream into the engine.

Thread Information