Lightbulb Rechargable reciprocating saws

Looking to maybe purchase rechargeable reciprocating saw. Want opinion as to which make to purchase, voltage 18 0r 24 volt, number of extra batteries to have, etc.

Thanks

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

the dewalt 24 volt system seems to be the best out there. within seconds you can change over from a battery to ac power. check out ron moore's series on recip saws. also in the fire\rescue section of the dewalt web site you can order for free a 23 minute video on dewalt saws. it also goes into some detail about the 24 volt saw. ron moore is your host also on this video. there are several other type saws out there but dewalt seems to be the most popular.

my dept currently uses a 14.4 volt black and decker which we bought for $40. it does the job well and was cheap for us. next recip saw we purchase will be the dewalt 24 volt saw. also since dewalt is owned by black and decker, they are names which are trusted by many consumers.

good luck, hope you find the info you are looking for.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

I kind of like the 18v Dewalt. The batteries are a little cheaper, and the saw is a little lighter. The word that I heard is that Dewalt is getting away from 24V saws. If you look in Home Depot, they don't even carry them any more. It makes you wonder how hard will it be to get batteries in the future. What ever cordless system you choose, check out the Robo Pack, there should be a thread still listed. It is the neatest thing I have ever seen.

Good Luck!!

Talking

I just spent some time with the Milwaukee reps at Texas A&M Fire School. We compared the 18 volt to the Dewalt 24volt they where pretty much the same. If it is true that Dewalt is going to do away with the 24volt I would go with Milwaukee but either will do. Make sure that the blades you pick are top notch because its all about the blade. Try the starrett blades they have many to chose from. www.starrett.com

Forum Member

We have been carrying a Dewalt 24v saw for over a year now and it is a very handy bit of gear. Excellent for cutting windscreens and the like and is very light and easy to use. The kit we got contains two batteries/charger/saw/blades. The batteries can be left on the chargers indefinetley, so you always have a fully charged battery. We do this and just grab a battery off the rack before we leave the station. The blades are'nt to bad but I would watch out if you try to bend them round angles etc. The long blades snap very easily.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

DeWalt 24V with two spare batteries and the AC adapter. Don't leave the House without one!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Maybe it's all in my head, but ...

I haven't found a cordless saw that works as well as an AC powered one. The AC powered one just always seems to go a little faster and not get bogged down on a C post.

Has anyone had a cordless work just as well, or better, than an AC?

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

The Makita BJR240SH - 24V MAKSTAR is a very nice saw. I know it is a jap company but they realy have done a nice job.
    The battery and charger has a computer chip in it to prevent memory. The release for the saw blade is protected so it doesn't come undone while in a confined space or collapse situation. On a full charge it will do about 27 2X6's.
    It is also well balanced and comfortable to use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Found a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

dazed and confused

Originally posted by PA Volunteer
    Maybe it's all in my head, but ...

I haven't found a cordless saw that works as well as an AC powered one.
    Agreed!

What you gain in being free from an AC power cord is quickly lost due to the inherent problems of battery operated tools. Are they nice? Yup. Would I like one on our truck just to have for those times when a cordless sawzall might be nice? Yup, and we have one coming just for that purpose.

But after using quite a few different models, I'm content with just knowing my AC one will work--especially on the scene of a vehicle collision.

Not that I run to sawzalls for extrications... that's a whole 'nother thread entirely But when I want one, I want one that will work long and hard with minimal fuss.

Thread Information