View Poll Results: Do you belong to the National Volunteer Fire Council(NFVC)?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

7 36.84%
  • NO

12 63.16%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Does your fire department belong to the NVFC?

Often times I sit in my solitude and wonder "who speaks for the small, volunteer fire departments at the the national level"? I have attended many conferences and symposiums where I believe that I have represented the organizations that I lead.
    In another thread, I stated that our department had never been contacted by the NVFC until the FIRE Act was passed. That isn't completely true; they had solicited us for a paid membership; money that I am sure pays for all of the trips to Washington on our behalf! They will tell me that we have reaped untold benefits from their efforts even though we are not members. There may be truth to that, although I would think that most of what will impact us will come from NIOSH, CDC, the NFA/USFA/FEMA and our state fire service programs.
    So, I am curious; how many of you belong to the National Volunteer Fire Council and why?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Funny you should ask, I've been wondering about that too. We (Glenn Dale Md VFD) do, and have for years, but I also am inclined to question some of the supposed benefits. What I'd like to see is an organization that would lobby hard to make volunteering easier (as in exempting us from OSHA rules, reining in the NFPA on some of their silliness, and other useful things. Just what does the NVFC do anyway??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

My volunteer dept does. We have been a member for 2 years. I like some of the information that I get from them. The dues for the dept are I think $50.00 or maybe $100.00. Not much really if you compare the cost of joining NFPA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by h woods
    Funny you should ask, I've been wondering about that too. We (Glenn Dale Md VFD) do, and have for years, but I also am inclined to question some of the supposed benefits. What I'd like to see is an organization that would lobby hard to make volunteering easier (as in exempting us from OSHA rules, reining in the NFPA on some of their silliness, and other useful things. Just what does the NVFC do anyway??
    Here we go again.

Please explain to me why a volunteer FD, who fights fires that are just as hot and just as bad as city fires, should be exempt from ANY rules? If the volunteer fire service wants to be taken seriously, your suggestion is the last thing that should happen. A double standard only serves to further seperate the volunteer fire service from the career fire service.

If you want help, lobby hard for the proper tools and training to do your job, not exemptions that will take you back to the 1950's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladies and gentlemen, please....

Folks:
    I am trying to conduct a scientific study. It is important that you participate in the poll. If you take the time to read this, then please vote.
    More later.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OK, I voted

I belong to the NVFC, and since I am the Chief of our department I will count that as the department belonging. I pay the dues out of my pocket because I would rather use our departmental funds for equipment, repairs, or fire prevention. Yes, to us the $30 for dues can make a difference. The only organization that the department belongs to is the Fire Fighters Association of Missouri. I joined to stay up on legislative issues and try to be more pro-active about what is going on. We are trying to move out of the 60's and with luck get to the 80's or 90's before the decade is over. We struggle with all of the same issues as other small volunteer departments. We do the best we can with the resources we have. We are not looking for any handouts, but if we can get a hand up, we appreciate it. We are not looking for any special dispensations, but we are steadfastly opposed to any more unfunded regulatory mandates.
    Lets be careful out there !
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Fire Chief - Hardin FPD
    Hardin, MO

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default A Clarification of my position

OK - Here is what I'm talking about - NFPA - Most of the people who sit on NFPA committees DO NOT ride fire apparatus, however, they know exactly how we should fight fires. Can anyone tell me why a NFPA committee can dictate, (yes I said dictate,) how the warning light system will be set up on the next unit that I buy?? The Maryland Fire Service worked together to get legislation passed prohibiting the use of the NFPA Lighting standard in our state, and I'm proud to have been part of that action. Now an individual fire organization can work with the apparatus builder to get what works for their particular situation, not some one-size-fits-all foolishness. Next on the list - OSHA - A friend of mine is a career firefighter in a large municipal department, the chief of a volunteer department where he lives, and a member of another VFD where he helps some old friends when he can. Problem ?. He has to do THREE annual scba fit tests, one for each department where he MIGHT have to put a mask on. In my opinion (and yes, it's only MY opinion, not necessarily that of my VFD Etc) this is STUPID. The OSHA respiratory protection program was designed for industry, Not the Fire service. Do we need to have a mask training program? Of course we do, but this is not it. I am not advocating seperate standards for career and volunteer, but I am advocating a return to common sense when it comes to government and/or private regulatory interference with the people who get hot, dirty, tired, hurt, and yes, dead, fighting fires. Anyone who is unable to keep up with the guy/gal on the nozzle should be prohibited from making rules that affect said nozzlepersons. Period! Chief R., If I got carried away, my apologies.
    Last edited by hwoods; 08-22-2002 at 01:44 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I read with interest your previous post. The NFPA committees are compose of both maufactors, Technical experts, and firefighters. For the most part they do a great job. Please remember they are trying to keep some of our people (firefighters) from getting hurt. Plus when you spec out a truck do not put the lights on it if you don't want them. The manufactors I believe will leave them off.
    The friend of yours that was FIT tested three different times in a year, does all three depts. use different brands of SCBA's? If so that is the reason for all the tests! If it was the same brand he could have been FIT tested once and made copies for the other dept.

The OHSA standard may have been developed for industry but it certainly doesn't hurt the Fire Depts from trying to comply with it. After all it could save someones life.

These are my opinions and no one else's!

Flochief makes some very good points. My comment is towards OSHA being focused on Industry. Yes OSHA's biggest job is to monitor industry but it stands for Occupational Safety and Health Adminatstration and as all of us like to point out whether we are volly or career FF's what we do is an Occupation.

Plus alot of equipment we use in the fire service orginated through industry needs. You'll probaly find that Survive Air, Miosh, etc spend more time and money developing SCBA's and other equipment for industry needs as this is where the money is. So let's not be so quick to reflect industry as being so different from the Fire service. We share a lot of common problems and needs with industry needs driving a lot on the development with thier deep pockets.
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

Forum Member

Irregardless of the other issues mentioned above, I feel that everyone should join the NVFC. It is an orginazation that can have a tremendous positive impact on legislation. We need to organize just like the paid guys. It is the only way to see real results with the politicians.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA - Most of the people who sit on NFPA committees DO NOT ride fire apparatus, however, they know exactly how we should fight fires. Can anyone tell me why a NFPA committee can dictate, (yes I said dictate,) how the warning light system will be set up on the next unit that I buy??
    Wrong.

1. What in the world does lighting have to do with making it easier to be a volunteer?

2. The current committee that is set up by the NFPA to cover apparatus has 10 reps of the fire service, 9 reps of various manufacturers (some are parts or equipment manufacturers), 5 Special experts and 3 reps of insurance industry groups. Looks like a pretty good cross section.

A friend of mine is a career firefighter in a large municipal department, the chief of a volunteer department where he lives, and a member of another VFD where he helps some old friends when he can. Problem ?. He has to do THREE annual scba fit tests, one for each department where he MIGHT have to put a mask on. In my opinion (and yes, it's only MY opinion, not necessarily that of my VFD Etc) this is STUPID. The OSHA respiratory protection program was designed for industry, Not the Fire service. Do we need to have a mask training program? Of course we do, but this is not it. I am not advocating seperate standards for career and volunteer, but I am advocating a return to common sense when it comes to government and/or private regulatory interference with the people who get hot, dirty, tired, hurt, and yes, dead, fighting fires.
    The OSHA Respiratory Protection Plan is a very valuable tool for FD's who deal with governing bodies who don't want to buy SCBA. It is also a plan that can certainly be easily adapted to the fire service. Which specific sections of a RPP do you object to?

How long does a fit test take? 5 minutes? It surely doesn't seem to be too much of an investment in time. Why should one department take on the liability that another department did the test right? I think that department specific fit testing makes sense.

Anyone who is unable to keep up with the guy/gal on the nozzle should be prohibited from making rules that affect said nozzlepersons. Period!
    So some of our foremost authorities on fire service related topics, who no longer are on the line (or building fire apparatus) but have years and years of experience should no longer be able to use that hard-earned knowledge to make our job safer and more efficient? That doesn't seem like a sensible approach to me.

How about asking thr NVFC to provide training and resources (no, not money) to help a VFD negotiate with their local governing body, market their department, retain members and win the fight? That is the type of service the NVFC should be providing.

Which specific sections of a RPP do you object to?
    I object to the one stating that I have to re-take the test every year. Why the repetition? Is not enough that the County requires me to recertify in EVOC, HAZMAT, AED and Infection Control EVERY year?Another needless recert is CPR. Who in the world forgets how to do CPR? I am glad the pencil pushers at the AHA have the time to recert CPR every 2 years. Technically the name "Fit Test" should not even be given to this ridiculous program. From what I hear you cannot "Fail" a Fit "Test." Chief 18, Maybe the association can do something about this? These Recertifications are very redundant and time consuming. Next thing that is coming is the yearly physicals for the Volunteers. Now that is sure to be a joke as far as accountability goes. And I am sorry Mr Wendt, until you have dealt with PG Express Care ( the ones who do FD/PD physicals) you cannot say that it only takes a few minutes. These yahoos will leave to go to lunch in the middle of a physical! I hate to say it Chief, but I really advocate a Separate Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department in the County. This combination system is failing fast. I do not forsee the Volunteers in the Future of the PGFD unless we can get together and Fight to stop all of this nonsense with Training Requirements. I advocate the Fire/EMS training requirements through CB-82, but these ridiculous Recerts for things such as CPR and AED are making it harder to Volunteer. And as busy as PG county is, none of you can say "Well, you might not use these skills much, so a Recert helps you Brush up." I sometimes drive Emergency Vehicles 20 times a day using Audible and visual warning devices. I recert my EVOC everytime I leave the station for a call. I recert my AED at least once or twice a week when I use it on cardiac arrest victims and I usually end up Recerting my CPR after using the AED because of the limitations of the machine. I can see recerting a class like EMT every few years because of updated protocols or new filed techniques, but CPR and AED's and EVOC are pretty cut and dry. You do it once, you keep it for a lifetime!~ See ya next month at Baden Chief!
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

Forum Member

Oh boy. I hope this doesn't turn into the PG fight again here.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

presently my dept belongs to the Texas Department of Health and the Texas State Firefighters and Fire Marshall's Association. I can not recall ever being contacted by NVFC to join them or anything.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information