Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default how can there be 27,000 applicants??????????

If there are only appox. 12000 fire depts in the USA and you can only place 1 grant application and only 65 % of the fire depts applied for grants thru the fire act how do they get even the 19,000 that qualified yet alone the 20 something thousand that apllied??

seems like fema can't add and they are in charge of all the marbles.
    find them hot leave them wet

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Default Math & Facts

FEMA received 19,584 applications.

Looking at the 1999 edition for the National Director of Fire Chiefs they list 28,992 fire departments nationwide.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

In a phone conversation with a FEMA employee recently I was advised that they believe that there are just over 40,000 organizations that meet the guidelines to be considered "Firefighting Departments" for the purpose of submitting a grant application.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default fire dept vs. fire co.

JUST A POINT OF ORDER THAT FIRE DEPTS MAY CONSIST OF MORE THAN ONE FIRE CO. AND SINCE EACH AND EVERY FIRE CO. WAS ENTITLED TO SUBMIT ON THEIR OWN THAT WOULD BE THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLIC., FOR INSTANCE MY CITY FIRE DEPT. HAS EIGHT COMPANIES IN IT. ALSO, THE COUNTY TOTAL FIRE COMPANIES IS 122, AND PS WE DID RECEIVE OUR DEAR JOHN LAST THURSDAY WHICH I DID POST (DEAR JOHN)

VOLUNTEERING THE OTHER FULL TIME JOB.

Administrator

If there are only appox. 12000 fire depts in the USA and you can only place 1 grant application and only 65 % of the fire depts applied for grants thru the fire act how do they get even the 19,000 that qualified yet alone the 20 something thousand that apllied??
    As everyone is stating, most of the above information is inaccurate.

- There are well more than 12,000 fire departments in the United States. Different groups provide different numbers, but its at least 26,000-36,000. Of those, about 14,000 participate in National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS). (All winning applicants are required to, if not already participating). 42 states and Washington, D.C. participate in the program. NFPA recently reported there are 26,354 fire departments.

- There were approximately 19,600 applications submitted.

- Of those 19,600, some 9,200 were in the 'competetive range' and made the peer review.

- Of those 9,200, some 5,500 are expected to be funded.

WebTeam

19,600 applications submitted.
    5,500 awarded.

28% Whooppee.

5,500 awarded grants or 0 we have to make the choice. If I were a senator and seen the remarks on these forums I would vote not to fund the Fire act anymore. We need to pull together and be positive on this or it might just get yanked out from underneath of us.
    Be Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope there was over 19,500 applications....when we submitted our confirmation number was 20,6??.

I think FEMA said they had 19500 completed aps. The rest were incomplete, duplicate, etc.

Exclamation i stand corrected????????

I iam off on my apllications they are
    * Volunteer/Combination fire departments: 17, 786 applications requesting more than $1.9 billion.
    * Career fire departments: 1,733 applications requesting more than $287 million.

But according to the IRS there are 12287 incorporated fire depts in the USA.
    yes there could be more than one station under each incorporation but NOT more than one fire department. That would be fraud.
    every fire department must be incorporated to 1st be tax free ( non profit) 2nd to be insured. There are some professional departments that would not be accounted for this way but they are taxable becuase they are in it for the money (for profit). They can not apply for the grant.
    If a department is not incorparated the are in violation of several laws.
    find them hot leave them wet

I have to agree with Ebson. Thank God that the legislators don't have time to look through all of the complaining that's going on here and other forums. But who knows, maybe they have their interns surf the web for them.

If you're not happy with a 28% return through FEMA just think what it would be like if Congress administered the program. Administrative costs would choke the program and we might end up with only 28% of the money allocated.

If your not happy with the program don't waste your time writing your complaints here. If you've got time for that you've got time to write your Senators and Representative to THANK them for the program and ask for their further support in years to come.

That way you'll be able to complain when you don't get those grants either! (TIC)
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

jkb:

Do we need to add all the incorporated cities, towns and counties which also have fire depts under their incorporation? They wouldn't be listed if they exist as part of that gov.

Terry
    Be Safe Out there.

Administrator

engel702 is correct, you also need to factor in departments that are municipality based (i.e. FDNY is probably not counted by IRS). Also fire departments could be listed as rescue squads, fire companies, and a variety of other methods. The IRS number, if in fact thats accurately what they state, is way off.

WebTeam

Thread Information