Temporarily/No Longer Active

Question Future firefighters, Pumpers

Question for Future Firefighters.
    How does your department store its preconnects (ie. crosslay,rolled,off the back,from the front)on the trucks?
    What size are they?
    Where is your (ie top,side,rear,front) pump panel located?
    What is the GPM for your pump?

Default preconnects

our first due piece has two 150' 1-3/4" crosslays. thereis also a third crosslay that is not preconnected and just stores extra hose. the pump panel is side mounted with a 1250 pump and a 1000 gallon tank. our second due piece has the same setup except it has a 2250 gallon tank.

Lightbulb hose ponies

well, not that i make it a point to ride one (i'm just a smart ***** truckie ) put we have two engines and a rescue pumper (1st out) which are all set up pretty much the same. the rescue has a 500 gal. tank with a 2000 gpm pump and a cafs sytem. hose wise, its got a 150' of 1 3/4" bumper line, two 200' 1 3/4" speedlays, 2 300' 2" crosslays, 200' of 2 1/2" w/ a smooth bore tip off the back, 200' of 3" with a blitzfire off the back and 1500' of 5" supply. our other new engine is basically the same thing only smaller and less fire power. our quantum has 1800' of 5", two 2 1/2" lines off the back, 300' of 3" with a portable deck gun, 2 2" 200' speedlays, 2 300' 2" crosslays, 2 2" 150' and 200' bumper lines and front suction. it has a 750 gal. tank and 2000 gpm pump. thats our war wagon!! and they ALL have pre-piped deck guns.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Lets see...

150' and 200' 1 3/4 crosslays that are either on top of the pump panel (most trucks), and in the case of the Saulsbury stealths and the Low-profile engine at the airport, on the bumper. Some Squrts/Aerial trucks have a 50' 1 3/4 preconnect on the bumper in addition to the crosslays. There is at least 1 200' jumpline reel on the truck. Most have 2, one on each side, but the new Quantum's we're getting in just have one on the Drivers' side. In the back off of the hose bed we have 200 or 300' of 3" or 2 1/2" preconnect on some of the trucks. Next to that there's about 1000 ft (I think) of 5" supply hose. Most trucks are side mounts.. only the tankers (except for the new Quantum)and maybe handful of engines are top-mounted.

The Squrt/Aerials each have a monitor on the end of the stick, and some trucks have a top mounted deck gun. There is 10 or 15' length of hard suction metal pipe. Some trucks have a front mounted section, most of the newer ones do, but the old Pierce spares don't.

Ah I'm not gonna try to BS the lengths on this anymore.. there are too many types of trucks in my department to say 'we have this and this on each and every truck', and the fact I'm not on an engine doesnt help either. Whats above can give you a general view of how our trucks are.
    Justin
    VP/Webmaster/EMT-B
    MDFR Post #1403

HNFC FF/President

6912, which is a 1995 Pierce Saber, has 2 pre-connects in the hosebed. They are both 1 1/2 inch line. I guess since the Deck Gun has piping to it, can that be considered a pre-connect?

6911, which is a 1999 KME Excel, has no preconnects.

6915, which is a 1986 GMC StepVan, doesn't have any hose or a pump. It's our Rescue unit.

Both engines have the pump panel on the drivers side.

Both engines have 1500 GPM pumps.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I guess since the Deck Gun has piping to it, can that be considered a pre-connect?
    I guess, you make a good point.

Forum Member

Well our first due has a 1000 gal. tank and a 1500 gpm pump. it is a top mount pump with 2 perconnect sspeedlays beneath it. One is 150' of 1"3/4 and the other is 200' of 1"3/4 hose. then we have two preconnects on the back on each side of the 5 inch supply line. one is a 100' of 1"3/4 trash line with a smooth bore nozzle. The other is about 100' of 3" attack line. Also on this pumper we have a 1" hose reel for small fires. Our other 2 pumpers are set up the same except one is a side mount pumper, 1000 gal. tank with the crosslays above the pump panel, and a hose reel. And the other is only a 500. gal tank top mpunt pump with minute man cross lats between the pump panel and hose bed.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

my dept. first due has a 1000 gal of water and a it has 5 1 3/4" preconnects one off the side, one off the front and three off the rear and one off the rear is a foam line it also has one duece and a half matidale. its a side mount pump with a 1500gmp pump.

One our truck, they are the same on the 2 engine and the ladder.

On the Engines, the front has a the Front Suction, and a 1' 3/4 jumpline. The pump is located in the middle and it is a side mounted.
    We have 2 preconnects in the middle that are in the crosslay, They are 2' 1/2 Fog and a 3 inch line smooth bored. Of the back we have 2 500' 1' 3/4 Preconnects of a discharge that is off a gated 'Y' Then we have 1000' of 3 1/2 hose, 1000 of 4 inch suppy line and 500 feet of 3 inch attack line which is smooth bored

The ladder is almost the same but the front has a 2 inch trash line and a 1' bumper line. The pump is located in the middle which is a side mounted. The crosslay is the same as the engines then off the back we have 500' of 4 inch supply line and 500 2 inch line
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

The engines are 1996 E-Ones Cyclone and the ladder is a 1991 E-One Hurricane/Hush 75' Rear Mount ladder
    I forgot that the engines carry 750 gallons of water and has a 1500 gpm pump and the ladder has a 1500 gpm pump which carrys 500 gallons of water
    Last edited by WestvilleJr73; 08-22-2002 at 12:31 AM.
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Talking come again??

you mean to tell me they make ladders with pumps and hose on them?? ewwww, yucky!! o, wait, i ride on one hehe, my bad!
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Forum Member

our new pumper has 2- inch and 3/4 crosslays 150' on those preconnects. 1 three inch preconnect with the "widow maker" nozzle on it. these are located directly behind the cab. we have a rear mount pumper with the panel in the back on the drivers side of the truck. it is rated at 1000 gpm. with a 1250 gal. poly tank. its a 2002 international but still has the old style body.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information