Thread: Pass it on down

Forum Member

Default Pass it on down

Well we all got a little discouraged by the Dear John letters and the 150M disappearing act. Now it is time to work together and try to make the most out of our resources. To those of you that have gotten grants to upgrade equipment and supplies, your old stuff may be able to help another community. My company is trying to replace a 1965 tanker. I won't get into the sad stories but its a full time job just keeping it running. If a company that was getting a new rig could donate us something better--we would all be winnners. I see complaints about companies getting funded for new gear to replace 10 year old stuff. Fact is there are places in this country where 10 year old stuff would be considered new. Passing down this equipment is how we can raise the bar for the whole system. This is what was intented in the FireAct-to raise the minimum level of responses. Lets work together and show the politicians how resourceful we can be.

Very good thinking. There is a group of Firefighters in Mo I think called helping our own, they refurb old gear and trucks to bring them up to working condition. Don't know if it is free or if they sell for just enough to cover the expense.
    Be Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are in a department that has under a $15,000 per year budget you can apply for assistance from helping our own. I'm not sure if you have to live in a certain area.

Default Re: Pass it on down

Originally posted by jbrandy
    My company is trying to replace a 1965 tanker...
    You know, my department is trying to locate an old tanker. At this point, anything is better than nothing. I'm sure your district is as water-less as ours. Please email me more details!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Great idea

We have plenty of departments in our area to which we have passed equipment.

If you are in an area with no departments that need your surplus, you can get it where it will be put to good use through Helping Our Own.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Forum Member

Default Getting this stuff where it is needed???

Hello All,

I sent the Web Team a message 6 months ago on starting a link that would get equipment that was no longer used to those that needed it. There must be someone out there with resourced enough to allow all Fire Dept. the ability to communicate with one another and get GOOD Equipment to those that need it at a very honest price. There must be piles of good equipment around that isn't in the correct area. Anyone with interest and idea please sign on. For Example my Dept in Vermont has a number of older equipment that is piling up that I'd like to see used by someone.

Examples:

Complete 500 gal. skid tank, pump, booster real
    1975 1500 GPM Maxium
    1984 2000 gal. Chevrolet Tanker
    1986 200 gal. Chevrolet Tanker
    Hurst Equipment
    Scott SCBA 2A

Stay Safe!!!
    GB

MembersZone Subscriber

640SATFD, check out Helping Our Own. See link above.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Default "Helping Our Own"

Hey KillerB,why not post this on the other "forum" on firefighting.com
    Seems we all have heard about these horror stories about vollies not having equipment. The word needs to get around somehow about helping our own. Someone posted a message about a department in Texas getting a big grant and they already had lots of equipment.Maybe they would like to help someone in bad need. I for 1 still don't understand how the "rich get richer and the poor get poorer".We sure can't affort a grant writer as we think the money would be better spent on equipment.
    Just Remember The only Real Dumb Question is the ONE not asked.

Forum Member

Thanks for the plug guys,
    Helping Our Own,Inc was formed 2 1/2 years ago by Mark Warnick in Missouri. HOO has moved approximately 16 million dollars worth(used value) of donated firefighting equipment and gear, all on a very limited budget with receiving depts covering most of the cost of moving the donations. Just recently HOO has partnered with the National Fire Safety Council and now has the backing to move tons more of donations to depts with an annual budget of $15,000 or less,and only ask for the receiving dept to ask the people they protect for small donations to help cover the cost of transporting the donations to them.
    There is an estimated 1 BILLION dollars worth of used and surplus firefighting gear and equipment that is either destroyed or shipped to other countries every year. Some research done last year by some independent groups concluded that there are at least 30,000 firefighters in the USA that dont have ANY BASIC Personal Protective Gear, and at least 5 to 6,000 fire deparments that dont have or have very little basic gear and equipment. Many only have brush trucks as a first out pumper. The more we see, the worse it gets. This problem is not only in the small rural states, but in Every state in the USA.
    HOO is now taking applications from departments that need help on our website at www.helpingourown.org . There is a link at the bottom of the front page that says, Now Apply for assistance online. Just click on the link, fill out the form and submit it. It is sent to HOO's main computer where it is then routed to the state coordinator for the state the dept is in.
    When a state has gathered enough applications , a trip will be planned and a load of donated gear will be picked up and delivered to that state. In the near future , all of the donations will be sent to a warehouse, checked for damage, and cleaned and processed for distribution.
    Just last month a load worth 1.2 million (used) dollars was delivered to Texas to 27 needy departments .
    HOO is still in the process of getting to the point where we can move donations all the time.
    Many thanks need to go out to the depts all across the country that have donated their old and surplus gear. There are also many depts that have donated their old gear to other depts in their area and to them we say Thank You as well.
    Any depts that have surplus gear can email Mark at mark@helpingourown.org
    The HOO mission statement is - To get help to the depts that need it, spread the word about this problem, and to Preach Unification among all of the fire service.
    Thanks for your time,
    Capt Tyler Sitzer, Weiner Vol Fire Dept, Weiner ARK &
    Arkansas coordinator for Helping Our Own,Inc. a 501-c-3 non-profit organization.

Default Helping Our Own

Greetings All,
    My name is Mark Warnick, and I am the founder of Helping Our Own (www.helpingourown.org). I apologize for some confusion in reports, but I will hopefully straighten them out.
    We help ALL fire departments that have under a $15,000 annual budget. It doesn't matter where you are located (in the US) we will try to help you. We can't guarantee you will get help tomorrow, but if you are registered with us, we will give you help as soon as we can.Thanks to a partnership with National Fire Safety Council and a not yet released (until now)sponsorship with Firehouse.com, there are no longer any charges for our service. The original charges I speak of, were just enough to cover shiping costs, so we could continue our work.
    As far as deliveries, it is easier, and cheaper, if we can deliver to 20 or more departments at a time. For those departments in need, work with your neighbors, and get them to also apply for assistance on line at http://24.199.159.119/HOO/form.asp. Also, we are looking for volunteer representatives NATIONWIDE, to help us find departments that need help, and departments that can help. Please feel free to contact me if you want more information at mark@helpingourown.org.
    We have been delivering a truck load per month recently, and plan to continue this track from now on. We will be making a pick up trip in September to VT, ME, NH, NY, NJ, DE, PA and a few other possible places. It appears as if this load will go to Alabama. The October trip will most likely go to California (Northern), with the November trip most likely going to Arkansas, and a trip to Eastern Missouri for December. If we can gather more equipment, we will make two or more trips per month, so please spread the word, WE NEED YOUR EXCESS EQUIPMENT.
    Thanks to our recent partnership and sponsorships, we now own two trucks, a 24' box truck and a 53' lowboy trailer pulled by a tractor. We can and do move all equipment FREE of charge. We have helped over 200 departments with over $16 million in equipment. The truth of the matter is we couldn't have done this, without the help of you, and others like you. Almost every department has some kind of excess.
    Through a very expensive insurance policy, and some legal papers filled out by the receiving department, there is no liability to donating departments.

If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me, ... Mark

Helping Our Own, Inc. is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization. Donations to Helping Our Own, Inc. are tax-deductible as allowed by the IRS.

Make sure to buy one of our new T-Shirts at www.helpingourown.org

Mark S. Warnick (Founder and Program Manager)
    Helping Our Own (TM)
    Firefighter helping Firefighter
    www.helpingourown.org
    e mail: mark@helpingourown.org
    Phone 417-679-2828

Helping Our Own
    Rte 1 Box 8
    Gainesville MO, 65655

I cant but agree with you more that if those departments that recieved grants this years even as much offered there equipment in which they are replacing within there area or state, it would make the program even that much stronger. We are a small fire dept. in Northern California and we rely on other and others relyon us to assist when ever possible.

Cool Possible Web site for Help

Hi There:

I read your post and thought I would pass along this web site:

Helping Our Own, Inc. = helpingourown.org

Mark is the CEO of this organization and operates a non-profit which scouts all over the US to connect fire depts. getting rid of used equipment, supplies and apparatus and then connects other fire depts. needing those things. You might try e-mailing him to see if he can connect you and help supply your need for another fire engine. Good Luck!

Also as a Grant Writer I've come across grants out there which give funding for vehicles. If you have someone in your dept. who writes well you might try that or do an article in your local newpaper asking for a volunteer to help participate on a Grant Wrting Committee to submitt your RFP. That is how I got involved with our local Fire Dept. However, I had already been a professional Grant Writer for a number of years but saw an article in my local paper asking for volunteers to help draft and RFP for an ambulance.

I helped on the committee, doing most of the writing due to my previous grant experience and they were awarded a state-of-the-art ambualnce and a yearly contract of $60,000 annually to operate an Advanced Life Emergency Support Service out of the fire dept. From that experienced I made contact with people who then asked to hire me for my grant writing services.

You never know who might be out there within your own community who would be willing to donate their time and expertise to help your fire dept. obtain the equipment it needs.

Let me know how it goes. Everyone living in any community should care enough to become involved for not only their safety as a resident who lives within that community but for all who live within their community as well. "Okay" I've preached enough now! So go get your fire engine!!! Good Luck!

Linda
    aka: TALL TREES!
    Linda E. Maag - GRANTS-R-US!

Thread Information