• block one lane

8 38.10%
  • reley on the police

4 19.05%
  • dont know

0 0%
    Forum Member

Default traffic control to keep from getting hit

what are we going to have to do so that people will see us and not hit personnel while we work wrecks.
    any ideas
    2197 10-8 nc firefighter/emt-d
    this is in responce to a nc cheif being hit and killed today
    Last edited by mtnfyre21; 08-20-2002 at 01:33 AM.
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

IACOJ BOD

First off, it is Personnel. That is lots of us. Personal is just you.

Second off, I am leaning strongly towards Bar Mines. They really can stuff the day of any vehicle that messes with them.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

ok ok so i have trouble typeing some times
    i am sorry
    what is a bar mine??????????
    like a land mine or claymore
    2197 10-8
    hangs head and walks off
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Forum Member

Personally, if I am OIC of the engine at a road accident and we still have moving traffic approaching, I will shut the road and request an ETA for the police. The lives of my crew and the persons involved in the accident are more important that someone elses journey. Also, this stops the rubberneckers as occurred the other day; crew dealing with accident on one side road, drivers slowing down on other to see what is happening, 2nd accident occurs when drivers begin running into the back of one another. (I was'nt there to close the road!)
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Best theory. Block it. Now in NYS I do believe that something says that for us in order to shut down a highway/interstate/express the scene must be blocking the road. So this is how we do it.

To calls on the expressway we respond what we like to think of us a big ***** truck with lots of weight,called our tanker. We take the tanker and park it diagonally on the highway and just put signs and flares out in front of us (towards traffic) and then one man will stand there with a wand.

This way instead of baring into our scene with a surprise, they will buy us a new tanker and then come into our scene. Now grant it, we set the tanker a pretty good clip from the actual scene, so this is just a road block pretty much. So it gives fireman time to see it and realize that something just hit the tanker. This is the best way we have come up with because it sure beats have 12 guys in the middle of the road waving wands.

This is just the best way we have came up with. Because you want something sitting there that has a chance of stopping them. Plus you must watch your angle of your truck if you do it this way, because so if it does get it, god forbid, and it rolls, then you want it to get away from the scene and now into the scene.

Simple concept. Takes a bit to master it. But once you got it I think its the best way.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually use our engine to block traffic--it has more lights than our tanker We shut down just one lane if EMS is on the side of the road and not directly in the path of the traffic.

Stay safe those roads can be dangerous

MembersZone Subscriber

Found this on a web page a couple of years ago and changed some things to work in out department.

Standard Operating Procedure:
    Traffic Control
    PURPOSE: To help protect our personnel and the public from hazards when directing traffic.
    1. Before directing traffic, put on turnout boots, pants and helmet - day or night. Wearing of your turnout coat is optional unless required by the Incident Commander or Safety Officer. However, keep your coat and gloves nearby in case you are pulled off traffic control for an emergency that requires your full set of gear.
    2. All other VVFD personnel on scene, including all officers, shall wear their turnout gear unless the IC advises otherwise. Failure to do this is grounds for disciplinary action for anyone.
    3. Determine the safest and most effective locations from which to direct traffic. Remember, YOUR SAFETY COMES FIRST.
    4. Place apparatus between oncoming traffic and personnel with wheels turned away from work area and all safety and warning lights on. Personal vehicles (PVs) and apparatus should be on the same side of highway as work area or wreckage if at all possible. PVs shall not be park so that they will block warning lights on apparatus or law enforcement vehicles. If a staging area (parking lot, side street, etc) is convenient to scene, park PVs at that location.
    5. IC or Safety Officer shall make the determination if and when the highway will be closed to all or part of traffic.
    6. Secure the following equipment
    For DAYLIGHT operations
    o "Traffic Control" vest (your turnout coat is OK if reflective trim is in good shape)
    o Flashlight with orange directional cone
    o Flares
    o Traffic Cones
    For DARK operations
    o "Traffic Control" vest (your turnout coat is OK if reflective trim is in good shape)
    o Flashlight with orange directional cone
    o Flares
    o Traffic Cones

If you cannot get this equipment yourself (for example, when you arrive on scene POV away from the apparatus), then have someone bring it to you as soon as possible.
    7. Select and use a TAC radio channel.
    8. When directing traffic, drop your radio number ("4XX"), and use terms such as "Northbound Traffic", "Southbound Traffic" (or whatever names you choose based on scene conditions).
    9. Give priority to emergency vehicles arriving on scene and leaving. Listen and plan for their arrival and departure. Keep lanes open, and be assertive if you have to. IC should plan for arrival of other units (transport units, law enforcement, etc.) at arrival to scene.
    10. The Highway Patrol and Sheriff's Department have responsibility for traffic control, so work with them. We can help protect the scene, but remember that our primary functions are fire, rescue, and EMS. Do not let a law enforcement officer place you in an unsafe position. If you have a problem with a law enforcement officer, advise the Safety Officer or the Incident Commander, in that order.
    11. If traffic will be held up for a while, do the following if safely possible:
    o Give drivers a brief explanation of what's going on, and
    o Assure them that we'll have them moving as soon as possible.
    12. Be courteous to ALL drivers, regardless of what they say to you. You are already in control, so stay in control.
    13. Above all,
    o Protect YOURSELF,
    o Protect your fellow fire and EMS personnel
    o Protect your SCENE, and
    o DON'T ASSUME that all drivers will follow your directions.
    14. Note to Incident Commanders & on-scene Safety Officers. YOU are ultimately responsible for ensuring that your traffic controllers have the tools they need to safely direct traffic. Make sure they're equipped.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

I always try and stop the rescue where it is blocking the lane(s) of traffic the the accident is in. Big red truck between me and all the other morons that can't drive. Once more units arrive on scene, they would be positioned to protect the other side of the accident and set up traffic. Use all the cones you can. The farther over to the other shoulder you push the open lane of travel, the farther they are from you working on the car. This also forces them to slow down some.

If you have to close the road, the easiest thing to do is just put something big and red all the way accross the road. Make it on an angle so you can quickly move when an ambulance or tow truck arrives.

In peticular at night, use everycone and flare you can find Turn off the headlights of truck facing into traffic. Do not use scene lights that point right up the road at oncoming traffic. Those will blind them and they won't see you. are standing right at a truck directing traffic, put up scene lights but aim them down at you like a street light. It will light you up but not flind them

block a lane put your helment on and slap on your vest. (flares might help too)
    Rescue Squad 12 to FireAlarm!!.....Squad 12?.....Give Me The 3 Alram!!!!!!

IACOJ BOD

FF21 a bar mine will screw up a tanks day, it was a joke, I tink.

When parking the truck, we always make sure the pump operators panel is facing away from on coming traffic.

Mitch, that is standard for us to leave as large a distance as practical between the truck and the scene, this allows for the ambulance to park in the space, as well as for us to set up our staging area. 2nd due appliance, if used, will be placed at the other end if posible.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

I've almost been struck a time or two, and I'm betting that most of us have. Even had a car bust the roadblock once and drive under the rotating (at idle) blades of a CareFlite helicopter. He claimed he never saw that big blue, orange, white, and lit up 222 sitting in the middle of 377.

My opinion is firefighters shouldn't be used to direct traffic. That's what cops get paid for.

Block the road.

Park the apparatus to protect the scene, be sure to turn the wheels away from the scene just in case.

Stay inside the perimeter of the apparatus protecting the scene.

Besides, you get asked all those stupid questions like "is there a wreck?"
    www.gvfd.org

placement,placement,placement; put as much steel between the rubberneckers and the accident scene as possible. Also block as much road as you need to feel safe whether it's one lane or the whole highway

Forum Member

we have a special unit for traffic and also we do whatever we ned to to control it from shutting the whole road down to closing a lane ......but it sure does make us more aware out on I-75
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information