Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Emergency Responders Overlook 3 Crash Victims

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

It has become an unwritten standard procedure that we use a TIC to search a reasonable perimeter around an accident scene (at night), due to multiple incidents where the occupant of a vehicle wasn't sure if anyone was with them. It's a good habit to get into. Would it have found the victims in this case? I have no idea. I like to think it would have helped, though.

Stay Safe

Our "unwritten" rule is to use your head with the TIC at an accident scene. If someone in the vehicle says, "Hey, there was somebody else with me" or "Hey, there was another vehicle" or something like that or if there is evidence of another occupant; i.e - baby car seat, more than one soda in the car, a purse in the car when it's a male occupant you're treating, etc., then it's time to break out the TIC and have a look around. Based on what information the article provided, I don't think the medics, firefighters, or cops had any reason to suspect they were involved an incident more than what they visually saw and had verbally reported to them by witnesses. Unfortunately, things like this happen. I think the on scene personnel did everything the could have.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

Forum Member

I've been on dark parts of the Turnpike or some of the long State roads at the edge of the Everglades before and you never can have enough light. Their might be someone 5 feet from you but it's just so dark that you can't see them. We do a search of the area but only to a certain point. We'll look about 100 yards around the scene and if we find any signs of other unaccounted occupants we'll look even harder. I was on a call one time in '98 when a car rolled over several times at a high speed. The only person we found was still in the car and could not talk. We saw no other signs of any other occupants, completed our search when we noticed a small brush fire starting about 100' back in the trees. We walked over, put it out and heard this crashing noise behind us. It was a second person from the crash falling out of the trees.(dead) She was smoking and when the cigar fell it started the fire.(Can't figure out how she kept the cigar). Now tell me who would have looked up in the trees for another patient? Thats just the way it happens, you could look hard but under the right conditions you could very easily miss someone.

Default DID NOT NOTICE

Sounds to me as if all responders to this incident performed to the best of the abilities, I do hope that this post was not suggesting that any responder should bear any responsibility for what happened.
    I have been there myself and so has every dept. around that I know of.
    JUST MY THOUGHTS ONLY, PLEASE FORGIVE ANY SPELLING GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think from reading the article that they did what most other departments would have done. We always look around, but a 1/4 mile away I think most everyone would have missed.

P.P.

Sorry - When I posted this here this morning I was in a hurry and didn't have time to add my thoughts and comments.

I was in no way trying to say that any of the responders involved were at fault. Based on what I read, I would have probably handled the situation exactly the same as they did.

My purpose was to simply remind us that we need to look for all the possible clues to what happened. I simply wanted to get your minds working and to think that maybe we all need to play detective a little more than we do.

For Instance -

Did anyone go back and look at any/all skid marks and would that have lead to finding the 3rd vehicle ?

Did anyone examine the shoulder of the road for fresh marks that might have suggested a 3rd vehicle ?

Did anyone notice paint marks on the other 2 vehicles ? Did the colors match the colors of the vehicles found ?

My heart goes out to these brothers and sisters because they will always have the question in their minds of "Could we have done more?"

Once again I am in no way "Arm Chair Quarterbacking" what was done here, just wanted to pass on a news story and stimulate a few brain cells.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Next county over,two cars a 1/4 mile apart a man sitting on the side of the road 1/2 way between the two. He looked OK but couldn't find any one in the other car--he was the driver was thrown free and not seriously hurt. I don't know about checking trees but victims can sure get (scatterd).

Thread Information