Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default getting in shape

Since my son, an explorer at the local firehouse, will be 16 next month, I know he has a way to go before qualifying for the academy. However, he is interested in knowing what he can do now to start getting in shape. He lifted weights for phys. ed. last year in school and will do so again this year.

I suggested he may want to start long-distance bike riding for legs and cardio strength. Jogging? I know there is a 6 minute mile or something as standard qualification at the academy.

Anybody have advice? Thanks in advance.

Cathy

Cathy,

Strength work is important, but agility is equal to it. He should be doing a lot of stretching routines with the weights anyway, but tell him to work on it.

Get a small strong back pack, put sand into plastic bags, usually 4 pounds per bag. Wrap the bags with strong tape and start packing them in the pack. Start at 16 pounds and work up.

Select a course with some good hills if possible, work up to a ten mile course.

On some of the hills walk up them backwards, it hurts like hell the first few times, but it is an essential exercise for some of the work done on a fire scene.

Also, anaerobic exercise, sprints etc, these not only work to allow longer sustained energy bursts they also aid recovery time back to a normal respiration/heart rate.

Let him develop a plan with one of the gym teachers.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Flying Kiwi:

Thanks so much! What a great workout. Unfortunately it made me tired just to read it - I had to rest before I replied Say, maybe Mom should get out there and keep him company.

Seriously, this sounds as if it would really get the boy in shape. And the suggestion to work with his gym teacher (who is the football coach at his high school) is a great idea!

Thanks again!

Cathy

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

woah, i might be able to use some of these ideas. I have atleast 2 1/2 years before i go to the academy, but its never to early to start getting into shape.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

thats a good idea, another idea might be let him play paintball a couple times during the summer. YOU RUN LIKE HELL!! im a lil on the bigger side and i play paintball every chance i get and i can run short disrances fast but anything longer than 100ft, not happening. just a thought

That's interesting, BFD!

He loves to play paintball anyway - now he has another reason to play (as opposed to doing math homework ).

Thanks, all, for the ideas!

Cathy

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Well I went to Home Depot and got a 60 pound bag of concrete put it in a backpack and walked! Doing this during the heat wave we had wasnt fun, but it did work on building cardio capicity and does tire you out fast!!!!

I dont suggest this to everybody,only those that can handle the weight.

Forum Member

Cathy,

Kiwi's advice was very good. There is also a good book out there called the firefighters workout book. I'd have to give it an O.K. rating but it has some good ideas. As far as what I've learned. . .

-Aerobic exercise, at least 30 minutes 4 times per week (aerobic mean that you should raise your heart rate to a predetermined level for a an extended period of time.

-Stretching and flexibility is the most neglected thing in any workout (in my opinion). It helps reduce injury.

-Weight training. Make sure he doesn't overdo it. You need a good day or two rest between a good hard weight session.

And if your son wants to get on a fulltime fire department in this day and age please stress to him GOOD GRAMMAR AND SPELLING!!! Don't let him think for a minute that knowing about firefighting and being strong is going to get him the job. That's isn't even considered in most fire departments up here.

Good luck.

Thread Information