Question Cell Phone on Apparatus

I have been looking for a "mobile" cell phone to be mounted
    in our new rescue truck.

I have been told by the local cellular people the motorola was the last maker of a mobile type cell phone with the "horn alert" feature
    and that motorola no longer makes this phone.

Is anyone aware of a current production mobile cell phone with the
    "horn alert" feature?

Needs to be compatible with the "analog" cell system

Thank You

Ted Maczulat
    Chief Fire Prevention Officer
    Beaver Creek Fire Rescue

Forum Member

We have cell phones in every unit, but usually use them for outgoing calls - "Honey, don't hold dinner, I'm going to a fire." Or "Dispatch, where is that fire?" We don't worry about incomming calls, folks just call dispatch and they raise us on the radio. Your engineer can get into sensory overload with too many inputs - let him/her run the truck!

The only time our truck phone rings is when we are expecting a call and have given the number out. We use ours primarily as stated about to call the wife with an update or call dispatch for some chemtrac info our to talk with the Arson Investigators. Also be sure it is one of the old corded types so it does not disappear.

Stay Safe

Andy

Question What cell phone are you using???

To ask my question again in a different way, What phones are you using on your apparatus????
    The Celular people here are saying that all manufacturers have discontinued making the permanently mounted type mobile phone.
    Does anyone know of a model that is still available????

The primary reason for the horn alert in our application is we, on occasion, need to contact support agencies while on an incident scene. The contact is initiated by a call to dispatch to contact them. They will usually call the IC back and get details.
    So someone needs to stay by the phone to answer the call-back.
    Sometimes it takes a while for them to call back and it is a waste of manpower to have someone standing by for hours to listen for the phone to ring.

Thanks...

Ted

Handhelds. Nextels, specifically.

BTW, Nextel still has a mobile -- Motorola's C370 line (our local AMR outfit uses them in their vehicles)

Motorola has never developed mobile phones for the new technologies such as those used by SprintPCS or Verizon, nor for the Digital Cellular systems. AFAIK, they still offer legacy models for Analog cell phone systems -- but I doubt many companies are pushing to sell new customers the old technology, and even fewer still probably stock the equipment. Look for "Deluxe 3900" for Motorola's current mobile cell phone.

Thought of this after I posted...

1) Check with your company if they'll still support an AMPS phone (that's plain old fashion analog cellular technology)

2) Go on E-bay and buy one dirt cheap.

Here's an example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1376347049

Took me a few minutes of trying variations on "Motorola car cell phone" -- never know quite what someone will call it! Actually, look up "Motorola 3 watt" since all mobile cell phones are 3 watts, and no handhelds ever were.

I suppose the only risk is if it's stolen, maybe you can get the seller to email you the "ESN" (Electronic Serial Number, it's on a sticker somewhere on the base unit of the phone -- they need that to program it, and the Cellular company will have a database they check prior to activating phones to make sure they're not stolen).

My gut says you could probably buy and have shipped to you 2/3/4 phones for $100 and sometime searching.
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 08-27-2002 at 09:56 PM.

BTW, speaking of dirt cheap phones, any cellphone as long as it physically works and is within a service area can be used to dial 911, doesn't have to be activated or anything.

Not that anyone would ever have unactivated cellphones sitting in their non-frontline pieces of apparatus that they can use on the rare occassions they need to (more or less) confidentially contact dispatch.

And even though on activated phones 911 is customarily free I never, ever have known any firefighters or especially State Troopers who would call 911 on their personal phone but while on duty and ask to be connected to their dispatcher just to avoid being billed for airtime.

And certainly never would a 911 line be used to transfer a call to poison control or another outside agency!

(God, has it really been 1993 when I last worked for Bell Atlantic Mobile ne Verizon???)

dazed and confused

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    And certainly never would a 911 line be used to transfer a call to poison control or another outside agency!
    I do that all the time. If it's an emergency or at least in the name of public safety, it's fair game.

Now having officers call 911 from a payphone to conference them with their significant others...
    hehe

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Talking

heck, i've had a crew get pulled into another city to run ambulance calls and they called 911 so they could get directions.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are very few companies that are going to support a Analog phone anymore. This system does not have the capacity nor cost effiency for companies to continue to use them. There are two types of signals on a cell phone. The "mobile' or mounted phone has a 3 watt transmitter on it while the "handheld" phone uses .6 watt. On the lower analog freq the higher wattage wasn't a problem for the phone antena or the user. With the newer digital service and the 1.8 gHz freq range (i think this is the new pcs freq range) the phone and antena would melt and so would just about anything around it.

Just more food for thought
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

IACOJ Agitator

we have mobile phones with Cingular (I think).

Very shortly we are switching over to handhelds with Nextel.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Need a cell phone? How about three? This shot is from a new Saulsbury pumper/tanker/foam unit that went to Coram, NY:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

So many of our firefighters have personal phones, we actually haven't bothered putting mobile phones in our appataus as of yet.

Default Cellular Installs

Ted:
    dsblev is correct. I think you will find that the FCC will shortly mandate the end of analog cellular. The frequencies need to be freed up for other bandwidth use. Only digital will remain. Till too many digital formats to my liking, though.

Here, we have cellular on all apparatus to meet local EMS protocol. Regardless of situation, EMS personnel are required to be in contact with the hospital. The phone is in the cab when personnel are with the unit and with the EMS person when out of the appaaratus. If no call is required or anticipated, the phone stays with the apparatus. No horn alert is utilized any longer.

The old 3W cellulars (bricks) are gone to the cellular graveyard. We recently tossed a drum full of the old phones.

Respectfully submitted,

Tony

MembersZone Subscriber

Well somebody still makes 'em because we had new phones put in our 2 ambulances last year. Also had them add what they called a "chauffeurs kit" - this let us install a fixed handset in the cab & in the box. Works exactly like a extension phone in your home.

Next time I'm down at the station, I'll look and see who made the phones (I was thinking GTE), but I do know the service is through verizon.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

If you don't want to "have somenone standing by for hours" waiting to hear the phone ring, why not just have the people call your dispatch and leave a number and you call them back at your conveience, not theirs? Does it happen that often? Why buy 15 yr old technology? You wouldn't buy SCBA that were built 51 yrs ago would ya?
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Head down to the local phone dealer and see which phones they have that you can buy mobile kits for. Almost every manufacturer makes a kit like N2DFire described for handheld phones. There's a cradle to snap the cell phone into, then an interface box that has an amplifier to take it up to 3 watts, and connections for the corded phone extension, an antenna, and a hands-free setup too. Almost every digital phone has analog band in addition to one or two digital bands in it so that it can roam out in the middle of nowhere, where digital hasn't made it to yet. If digital is highly unreliable, you can force these phones to use only analog towers to avoid dropping calls as it floats between digital and analog service.

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

tmacz23

They will usually call the IC back and get details. So someone needs to stay by the phone to answer the call-back. Sometimes it takes a while for them to call back and it is a waste of manpower to have someone standing by for hours to listen for the phone to ring
    The IC should be observing the scene communicating with his support Officers. He would be able to have the phone with him if he were expecting a call-back for pertinent information, or have one of his other Staff Officers handling this. You have to figure that the IC would have the related information (of the related call-back) right at his disposal.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Forum Member

Just one of a few web sites out there that still sell them:

http://www.concentric.net/~Campagna/moto400bag.html

MembersZone Subscriber

In my volunteer department every apparatus from EMS response vehicles to the engines to the tower all have hard wired phones. The Chiefs vehicles have conventional cell phones also as well as a handheld cell phone being issued to them. I agree with the previous posts, the I.C. knows when he or she is going to be getting an incoming call. Either they have requested information and/or a call back from a 3rd party (Haz Mat team, Arson investigators, private clean up company, TNRCC, etc.) and are awaiting a reply via phone or its dispatch calling with some requested/related information. Either way it doesn't matter with us. The I.C. shall be in one location, usually their vehicle, and can take a call when it comes in. On large scale incidents, such as one I had a few months back for a fire in a movie theater, I had a member of my Incident Management Team handling phone calls, media, etc.

One suggestion if I may, use technology to your advantage and make it work for you and help you manage your incidents. Don't become to dependent on it and/or let it rule your fireground agenda. Fire Fighters still put out fires and cut people out of cars, not cell phones, PDA's or lap tops.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Thumbs up

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my query

I found a local cell dealer who had several new Motorola 4500
    bag phones in stock. They were able to substitute the bag/portable parts for the mobile installation kit at no extra cost.

The 4500 phone has the horn alert feature when installed with the
    mobile installation kit.

so we now have a fully capable 3 watt phone on two of our apparatus.
    In our area the local cell provider guaranteed that analog service would be available in our area for at least the 3 year term of service contract.

Again thanks for all your replys.

Forum Member

wow great posts and some info I was looking for ........ thanks !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I just met with our cell phone provider, they say that due to our remote and underpopulated area (just the way I like it), while they will start to offer digital service in the towns, the outer areas will still be analog.
    Any of you guys that want to discard your 3 watt analog phones, just let me know! All our current units have phones, but we have spots where neither phones or radios can get out.

Thread Information