Default Powerhawk Jaws and accessories

My dept just took delivery of the powerhawk jaws, we got all three blade attachments, as well as the sawzall and adapter for the 18volt millwaukee tools. Was kind of curious if anyone has any experiance with these, and your thoughts on them as well as any tricks or tips that the brotherhood has to offer.

Forum Member

Default Powerhawk

I disagree with "WLynch" as we have had the PowerHawk on our "First out Rig" for atleast 5years now, and haven't had a single problem with it. You need to know it's capabilities & limitations. Any time saved on extrication is very valuable. Having the PowerHawk onscene when we are, has been extreamly benefitial. We do not depend on the PowerHawk for heavy extrication, that job is up to the Hurst Tool and our crash team. I have stated in other posts that the PowerHawk is not the end all but it is good to have around.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

I am not out to bash any one's tool, but how much time is saved if the tool can't finish the job?

Default Our rational

Simply put time is important in extrication, one of the main reasons that we opted for the powerhawk was the quick deployment and the fact that u need minimal manpower to operate them. As for them not being real good on heavy jobs, i guess we will have to wait and see, there are several departments in our area using them and the 2 main cities nearby are bying 5 each, so there must be something good about them. OUr dept is not afraid to call for help if we think our tool is not going to be able to do or finish the job we have 2 hydrolic sets in the neighboring depts, so if we need more or bigger we will call and have the job started when they get there.

ONe thing about the powerhawks is that they can be used in some many locations and operations that normal jaws cant, another asset, only time will tell how we like them but after we looked at all our options that is the set we decided on so we are at least stuck with it for a while.

Where can these be used that hydraulics can't? Under water? No.

Explosive atmosphere, No, not that I would want to do anything till I took care of the atmosphere, but I damn sure would not use an electric tool. So where can you use your powerhawk that I cant use my hydraulic tool?

Default WHere can the tool go

Well, the tool CAN be used under water, second how about down into a ravine, boy it would sure be a pain to lug a whole hydrolic system down into a ravine. What about the other oppourtunities that the tool afords, like the ability to use it for forcible entry. THe tool can't be all that bad when there are city departments buying it, and it was used heavily at ground zero.

Forum Member

Default Re: Powerhawk Jaws and accessories

Originally posted by Funkyfire13
    My dept just took delivery of the powerhawk jaws,
    I know it sounds "petty", but it is one of my pet peves. There is no such thing as a Powerhawk "Jaws"... The term "Jaws of Life" is a registered trade name for the Hurst Rescue Tool. Jaws only refer to the Hurst Tools. All others are more accurately called "rescue tools" , either hydraulic or electric.

I have never used the Powerhawk, but don't see any need for us to abandon the hydraulic tools that have proven themselves in favor of a new gadget. However, if this tool does what YOU ask it to do and what YOU need it to do, I would say it was an excellent choice.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Originally posted by WLynch
    Question, have you ever used the tool underwater? Have you seen it used underwater? Why can't you operate a hydraulic tool underwater, it is a sealed unit, and there is not any type of electrical power that can short out, Roy did it in an episoide of Emergency! Do you have SCUBA divers at your station to operate this tool underwater?
    WLynch makes an excellent point. I have used a hydraulic tool underwater at the State Fire School in Ohio. I was assisting with tools and not actually taking the class, but I donned a wet suit and got into the creek up to my chin just to prove that I could do it.

This is a drill you all should try sometime if you have the resources to do it. We put a car in the water on its top. We removed the doors and cut out some posts to gain access to the interior. Basically, you are doing the job by "feel" rather than by vision. Of course, this is something you don't let a newbie try and you are EXTRA carful about hidden dangers. Still, it is a great confidence building when you learn how much you can actually do by the feel of the tool and not by watching it work. Not a whole lot different than in a dimly lit ditch at 3AM except you are not quite so wet there.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thumbs up

Greetings,
    I am a Lieutenant of a 100 man career department. The engine company that I am assigned to currently operate with the Power Hawk unit. All members of our company prefer the Power Hawk over the other tools that we have in our department (holmatro - combi and full set). The reasons are as follows:
    #1 The tools fits our already crowded compartment space
    #2 The straight blade combination tip cuts through anything that we have "asked" it to. It does not pinch the metal at the end like a combination tool does.
    #3 The swivel head gets us into places that the large tool will not go (around the pedals etc)
    #4 The weight of the tool is easy to handle
    #5 Spreading force is greater than the Holmatro combi tool.
    #6 If you need 40 inch spreaders the open a door, then why not cut the roof with the saw package.
    #7 It has NEVER run out of power. We have an attachment on both the engine and ambulance 'just in case it does'.
    #8 You can accually talk to your crew and the patient, because is is quiet
    #9 Yes we have had it under water, and yes it does work.

We are proud of our tool, and we will go against anyone with it. When we have a wreck, then we are very comfortable in the capabilities of the Power Hawk. When our department is called for mutual aid (for an extrication) then they send the closest engine, not who has the biggest set of tools.

The answer is training with your equipment. Know the capabilities and know the pitfalls. We use our tool at least a few times a month, and we always seem to get the patients out, in the same amount of time it takes the "big guys"

Be safe Brothers,
    Lt Troy Lare
    Bangor Fire Department
    Engine #6

We have had our Powerhawk for about 4 years. We have used it in over 60 entrapments. No problems to date. We have had some hard extrications and some easy ones. Our Powerhawk has always been able to "finish the job". We believe in training and drill with tough scenarios. I think this makes a real difference.

Forum Member

Must be they bend them different in Bangor than Bridgton.I've used the Power Hawk and it's a nice light tool.It will do an adequate job of extrication.But to compare it to the Holmatro line of Hyd. rescue tools is downright laughable.There is NO comparison!With equal training on both tools the Holmatros will win anywhere,anytime.I was one of the first people in this area to take an interest in extrication,long before it became a FD buzzword.I have used in my career every known type of hyd or manual rescue tool.I admit to not extensively using the PH on it's various functions but I have run it enough to know it's limitations and it has a few.If they work for you, great,but I prefer my big bad Holmatro.Faster,farther,and more powerful.And if I call for MA all the units in my first due will be coming with? Holmatro.Try to do a four car,serious PI with a PH without plugging it in,good luck!Best I've ever done was two complete cars,doors and roof without running out of battery.Now this was an early version and maybe they've improved it but it's still hard to beat gas.T.C.

At a recent accident we used our Powerhawk to remove 2 doors, pop 2 doors open, cut "A" and "B" posts to flap a roof back, remove a sliding van door, and perform a dash roll. The operation was completed in less than 26 minutes after arrival. (Including stabilizing 3 vehicles) As we all know, the key is training no matter what equipment you have.

Mr. W. Lynch seems to be taking this Thread personally. Is this the same W. Lynch that is the Mid Atlantic TNT dealer?

First Mr. Lynch I don't think you can judge a real life scenario by what may be "timed out " at a extrication camp. As you may be aware, there are other things happening when you have victims in the vehicles. We were very pleased with our 25 minutes.(there were 3 vehicles and 9 victims) I was responding to Funkyfire 13, that we are happy with out Powerhawk and it does everything we want it to do.

Second I beleve strongly in hands-on training and making drills as realistic as possible while keeping them safe. No matter who's or what tools you have.

Third Mr. Lynch I do not think a dealer for TNT equipment should post responses about other extrication equipment. There may even be a forum rule about this.

I am not saying that any tool is the answer to all of the questions. We have the "big bad hydraulic" tools as well, but we used the PH 2 days ago, and yes the big set was there (it came on the 2nd due engine), We used the ram from the hydraulic tool, and that was it. The situation called for very tight quarters (car was on its side wrapped around a guardrail) and we managed with removing the roof and then removing the car from around the driver's legs.
    Use what you have, even if you just have a haligan, just keep in the back of your mind what else is available in your area, and when you should call them.

We shouldn't argue about this, wasn't the first post for a brother looking for ideas? Drop me a line, I will be glad to talk to you.

Be safe Brothers,
    Troy Lare

Forum Member

Troy,no further than you are better chance of you looking out the window and seeing me drive in.Say hi to Campbell for me.T.C.

Thread Information