Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Apology

Forum Member

Exclamation My Apology

recently, I participated in a thread relating to 9/11. I was wrong. After a couple of emails, some chats, I know for sure I was wrong. The fact was not the mistakes of 9/11, the lives saved. Something obviously worked, and lives were saved.

Its an honor to be called and respected as/a fireman. My junior "status" ended a year ago about. Now I am under Limited Duty Status. However, I do not deserve to be anything. Maybe some day I will again recieve your respect and trust as a member, however if I dont it will be understood, even though I beg for your forgiveness.

I will continue on for my goal to be a fireman. Hoping that we all can just get past this, even though I know it will take time. I also hope that there will be no further action taken, I am sorry, and now I will not stick in where I don't belong and know nothing about.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Temporarily/No Longer Active CAFFBOU's Avatar

Thumbs up Ok...

I dont remember what you wrote, but it takes a better
    person to stand up and admit a mistake was made. I
    repect anyone a lot more after they do.

And look at it this way. I have been in the fire
    service a long time and made WAY MORE mistakes than
    probably most people in here. I admit it and guess
    what, I learned from them.

PS- What does the 180 days thing mean???

Forum Member

I am glad that it all finally got thru to you. Boucka is right, it takes quite a person to stand up and admit they are wrong. The forums are a funny place. Sometimes, what you are saying in your mind doesn't come out of your fingers the same way. Anyway, you have made a good start....

Dave

Smile One other thing...

Now that you took the first step, dont forget the
    Krispy Kremes and maybe some ice cream. ROUND STUFF,
    not square stuff!

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

There's probably not a person on the forums that hasn't stuck their foot in their mouth at least a time or two. Some more than others, while others still have done it a whole lot more, and with an incredible degree of regularity.

You've taken the first step towards resolution of this issue. Time will help take care of the rest. Without getting into details, you may be a firefighter in your state, but you are also young. Learn from all of this and move on. A lot has happened, and even more has been said since September 11th, with even more likely in the future. Regardless of anything else said, this was the largest evacuation of people in history. They moved a small city, in a relatively short period of time. Of those there on that fateful day, 343 lost their lives trying to do their job. They did it right, and with honor. Don't desecrate their memories.

Before you post anything potentially controversial in the future, preview the post before you put it out there for all to see. If you have questions about what you really meant, rest assured that others will too.

If you have questions, you can PM any of us. We'll try to give you a little help and guidance. All you have to do is ask.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Mitch...

I read some of your comments in other posts. Not all of what you said is to be apologized for. I think some of what you said was intended well...just maybe not voiced well. If I read between the lines of some of your comments, one thing you were trying to do is say that we are all brothers, regardless of rural vs city, or regardless of paid vs volunteer. If you're a firefighter, these titles mean nothing. It's what's in the heart. Are you willing to give your life to save the 12 year old and give them an opportunity to live? If you are, are you in it for the glory or because you want them to live? If you want them to have the chance, you're a firefighter. If not, quit.

We're all brothers. I feel you have this desire, you just need to focus on your own personal beliefs and not on what the 'old timers' in your department believe. The best part of your comments.... you're at least willing to speak up and take your lumps. Mine is a small hammer.

originally posted by stroutkristen:However, has anyone ever said that a fallen firefighter got what they deserved?
    This was the result of a poorly phrased thought. This has been discussed with him. Maybe you should re-read the first line of the apology.
    originally posted by mitch_rfd_ny:recently, I participated in a thread relating to 9/11. I was wrong. After a couple of emails, some chats, I know for sure I was wrong. The fact was not the mistakes of 9/11, the lives saved. Something obviously worked, and lives were saved.
    He realizes he was wrong. He has apologized in a very public way, and understands the consequences. No disrespect intended to mitch, but he's a kid who made a mistake, has realized it, apologized, and is trying to make amends for it. He's been publicly flogged already.
    originally posted by stroutkristen:I'll just have to look forward.
    That's probably a pretty good idea in this case. Give him a break. He's trying to make amends here.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Why bother?! It's late, and I'm tired.
    Last edited by Steamer; 08-24-2002 at 03:16 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT

Originally posted by Stroutkristen
    IT'S NOT MY PLACE TO CALL THE SHOTS
    I was going to let your previous comments go, that were directed at this young man. However, it has become painfully apparent that you want nothing more then to start a debate where NONE is needed.

Originally posted by StroutkristenI know it's not right to place judgment
    So why then do you insist on doing so? He understands the way his comments were viewed, which was not as they were intended. He has apologized, and shown great maturity in doing so. I believe that his apology is genuine, he NEVER meant to desecrate the memory of the fallen, it was a poor choice of words.

If you chose to hold a grudge against this young man that is entirely your perogative. However, there will be NO debate with you.

Given your past history on these forums, and the number of times that you have been suspended I find it somewhat humourous that you have taken to 'pointing the finger' here at this young man. Who has not only shown that he is willing to admit that he was wrong, but accept responsibility for his actions, and proven that he is teachable by doing so.

Originally posted by StroutkristenI think the only people who can truly decide if an apology should be accepted, or not, are the FDNY.
    You are entitled to your opinion, however, there are were a lot of firefighters from several countries that were equally offended. It is each persons individual right as to whether they chose to accept it or not.

As I said before there will be NO FURTHER debate with YOU on this matter. You may think what you like and you may post what you like, that is your RIGHT.

Forum Member

When I made the statement "they got what they deserved" it was not intended towards the firemen that did there job and saved 25000 lives. What I meant by it I honestly don't even know. I know I was wrong in saying it and I have learned one important thing with the forums... I should read what I write before I post, and if I did, I probably would have caught it and not offended all of you, which I do not want to do.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Default Mitch

You don't need to keep explaining yourself. We've all had times where things we may have typed while meaning one thing, have been construed as another. The fact that you stood up and said "I was wrong" says a lot about your character, and I applaud you for that. It's never easy to admit we are wrong, and it takes a big person to do so. Don't let anyone make you think that you need to continue to explain. You've apologized, admitted the error of your ways......... 'nuff said.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Very nice Mitch, that took a lot of guts to admit you were wrong.

Kristin,Steamer,& Temtaker
    Why can't you three just get along?! Reminds me of when I was a kid and my little sisters would fight and I'd have to bonk thier heads together! Of course they'd then band together and come after me!
    Last edited by SPIPER; 08-24-2002 at 09:45 AM.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Well Mitch, you have taken a step in the right direction. Keep heading down this path and you will be just fine. We all had our PUP moments!! As long as you don't make the same mistakes again, this too shall pass.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

Mitch, I didn't read your original post, however anyone is entitled to a slip of the tongue once in a while. Good man for the apology. Life is a lesson everyday, your learning.

Mitch, that took some good moxy to apologise.

Respect.

My respect for you, now.
    Your repsect for yourself and others.

Well done.

PS it just goes to show, even when you do the right thing there are still people who will chew on your leg. Don't worry about it.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Well mitch, just keep in mind, this warm fuzzy cyberlovefest is not exactly the same as if you run your mouth off in the real world. Words can make an enemy for life. Grow up.

Talking LOL....

..."warm fuzzy cyberlovefest." That is too funny
    Rudy, I have to laugh...Thanks, Cali-Boy.

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Thumbs up

Mitch, I didn't read your original post, however anyone is entitled to a slip of the tongue once in a while. Good man for the apology. Life is a lesson everyday, your learning.
    I agree whole-heartedly with Smokeetr4.

ps Don't forget the "Review Reply" button
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Just as a few others have said, I too missed the post in question. However, I do respect Mitch for what he did. Not many people (including myself at times) stand up and admit they were wrong.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Mitch,
    I too think you took a great step in posting your apology. I had particpated in the orginal posting and prior to you comments I went on vacation. I'm happy to say I saw the apology posting first prior to catching up on my threads or you would have the recieved the same attack from me as everyone else.

It takes a bigger man to admit when he's wrong and a true brother to forgive and forget.

Thanks Brother.
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

Thread Information