Lightbulb getting on a department

Since last year i have been looking into the minneapolis and the st.paul fire departments. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips they could offer me on getting on either of the department or any department in genreal. I want to go to a department that has their own acadamy.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

Forum Member

Best I can tell you is to practice your interview skills and research into whatever department you are applying to so that you know all you can about them. If the department requires that you take a CPAT test, prepare yourself physically. If you have never heard of CPAT you should be able to find a video on youtube. Its a 10min 20sec physical agility test with 8 events that is timed. Go to www.eatstress.com for some sample oral board questions. NEVER be late to any portion of a hiring process, in fact be early, that is an easy way for departments to cut people. If possible visit a fire station at that department and talk with career firefighters, this will help in learning about the department and your comfort level......hope this helps......good luck

Forum Member

Just looked at the post date of your thread....im guessing its a little late

MembersZone Subscriber

Take every fire department test you can, even if you don't really want to be on that FD. You can always turn a job offer down. The more tests you take the better you will get at taking them, practice practice practice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Little late for this but as of this year both departments are on a hiring freeze.

Thread Information