Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Research Paper on Staffing

Im currently enrolled at J. Sergeant Reynolds C.C. Fire Sciences program. I am taking Intro. to Fire Research, and we have a 20-30 page paper due. I am doing my paper on staffing issues particularly in career fire departments that have a population between 20 and 30 thousand. I am seeking information on cities that size about the staffing issue whether it is career,volunteer, enigne and truck staffing as well as medic units. Also the number of career and volunteer personnel. If anyone could send any information I would really appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

First, if you need to write a 20-30 page paper in Community College you need to find a new CC, that's ridiculous. I never had to do more that 10.
    There are several communities around me that fit that description. All operate paid or combination departments. They usually run with 2 or 3 on the engines and 2 on their ladders. Almost all of them have 4 engines and 1 ladder and 2 or 3 rescue/medic units. The departments employ anywhere between 60 and 100 firefighters.

We have a population of 25,000 or so that swells to double that size in the summer months. We have a 48-man Dept. that runs 9 men per shift on three engines and a ladder out of 2 stations. 100% paid IAFF dues paying Brothers and Sisters. Email me if you would like more Info.

Forum Member

I am a career firefighter/paramedic in a town of about 21,000. We also serve a rural district of around another 5,000. We have a total of 12 career personnel, 80 or so city volunteers, and 20 or so rural volunteers. We operate out of 2 stations, 1 staffed 24/7 and the other that is basically just storage for reserve apparatus. We provide fire suppression and paramedic level E.M.S.

We have a minimum of 3 career personnel on duty at any given time, and occasionally have 4 on duty. We alway take 3 on a medical (sometimes 4 if available and the call sounds bad). We usually take 3 on fire runs, unless the on duty supervisor thinks only 2 people are required, mostly on grass fires, CO2 detector calls, etc. All this, of course, is dependent upon bodies being at the station. If the call is a second call, we roll out with whomever happens to be here. It's not uncommon to have a truck or ambulance leave the station on a second call with only the driver on it.

So, to answer your question, I guess we really don't have any "minimum" staffing requirements. To often, we end up just flying by the seat of our pants.

If there are any specific questions, let me know.

18000 pop
    37 man department
    4 shifts of nine men plus a chief
    6 men on the floor min staffing for calls all the time

We run a two ladder system 75' stick and 104' platform, each run with three men, we also run a rescue truck with two men when we are not handling fire calls.

2200 calls per year 68% are EMS

100% paid IAFF Department.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

We are a city of 30,000, 6 square miles, in the metro detroit area. We run about 2200 calls a year, and have three shifts, with a five man minimum. We run with 2 (lt & ff-emtp) on the squad and three (Capt, Engineer, ff/emt-p) on our engine. 100% full time, 100% IAFF.

Hope that helps.

Lightbulb

My dept. protects about 22,500 plus supply medic units to some others depts. when needed. We have 3 Stations, all career dept. : Hq: 1 three person eng. company,1- three person truck company,1 squad when needed staffed with third on the truck, 1-command unit with shift supervisor, 4 medic units 1 staffed with 1 EMT and 1 Medic all others take staffing from fire peices. Sta. 2 1- three person eng. company. Sta.3 1- Two person eng.company. Run about 4200 ambo calls a yr and 1400 fire and min. staffing is 14 per day and 65 member dept. any other questions fell free to email me about it

Thread Information