Thread: Seagrave info

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seagrave info

My company is going to be specing out a Seagrave Engine for delivery in the next few years. We have begun doing our research and are looking for input form Dept.'s or Company's that have recently put a Seagrave into service. Please post any of the folowing info.
    1. Any info on equipment you like
    2. Any info or things you would not do if you could do it over
    3. What options you were given and which ones you added
    4. Any after market items you added
    5. Any other advice we can use

Thanks for the help!
    B Holmes

Forum Member

My dept. switched from all seagrave to saulsbury and have never looked back. Is a seagrave a good truck Yes! we did not have too many problems with them either but the reasons we switched were
    1) The price for a seagrave for a Vol. Dept. is very high
    2) Seagrave delivery time is a lot longer than any other mfg.
    3) the spartan cab is more modern and up to date looking than the seagrave cab.
    4) our last seagrave that was delivered we felt we did not get the same support from the factory. they claimed it was due to the large order from FDNY we got the feeling we came second

I would seriously along with seagrave look into and consider saulsbury call your dealer im sure they will take you to the factory you will be impressed as I was
    when I was at the factory I saw a number of trucks I believe they said there were 5 in all being built for coram NY which I think is located by you in NY
    Seagrave is a good truck FDNY uses them they also use saulsbury
    Seagrave and Saulsbury I belive are the two best trucks on the market check into both its always good to be talking with two manufactures
    If you have any questions for me please ask
    cp

Thumbs down

Our company bought a new Seagrave engine with a gaveneal body in 97. Wthin 2 years, we had rust developing around the compartment door handles. We notified our dealer, a small western PA operation, and basically got the run around for some time. We finally made contact with Seagrave (good luck here, they don't return phone calls)and a regional guy finally arrived to inspect our Rustgrave. He admitted it was an assembly problem (they did not remove the plastic covering the glue on the door handle gasket, which held moisture and caused the rust). By this time, we also had paint bubbles around the windshield gasket and a couple other places. The rep told us that since we did not notify them sooner and we were "years" into our warranty, they would replace 1 door (not painted) and we would have to foot the bill for the other repairs. We accepted the door and paid for the repairs,(it was looking like a rustbucket)and now our Borough Solicitor is dealing with them. Unless you are a "BIG" department, good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had a seagrave quint for two years now and we love it. The dealer in our are went out of buisness and any problems that weve had(nothing major)has been taken care of by the factory with no hassel. I think seagrave is the best on the market there has to be a reason fdny has seagraves. Prior to 9/11 there was talks of FDNY swithching to Seagrave heavy rescues and were working with A capton from Rescue 1. If you are looking for a truck that will outlast and out preform the competition than Seagrave is the Truck for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't be to fast to jump at a Saulsbury. At one time Saulsbury made exceptional rigs, but now under it all it is just an E-One. E-One has made a steady decline in quality since the 80's. Todays E-One is just slapped together.
    I just hope that for FDNY E-One hasn't ruined Saulsbury yet, Otherwise the five heavy rescues will be replaced in just a few years.

We haven't had new Seagraves since the 70's and I know they had some tough times since then, but if it were E-One or Seagrave I'd pick a Seagrave.

Why not go with Pierce and be done with it.
    Go with aluminum body and cab.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am asking you, why go with Pierce? Do you have expirence with both? What's so good about Pierce?
    B Holmes

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Saulsbury Fire Apparatus was purchased a few years back by Federal Signal Corp who also owns E-One, Bronto, Superior and Plastisol. I'm sure there have been administrative changes made to eliminate duplication and create some streamlining of back office functions. However, the Saulsbury product line has not changed. Both Allen and Eric Saulsbury continue to work for the company and spend a vast amount of time on the road meeting with both prospective and current customers. Having met with both of them I know this first hand. Bottom line, the Saulsbury Truck is built no differently today than it was years prior. It's still a formed stainless steel body supported by a stainless steel subframe. Saulsbury still fully customizes the body to your specs. Yes, you now have the option to purchase a Saulsbury body mounted on an E-One Cyclone II chassis. As did FDNY with their recent purchase of 5 new Saulsbury Heavy Rescue Bodies mounted on E-One C-II Chassis. You can also purchase Saulsbury – Pumper and Rescue bodies mounted on Spartan as well as other Mfg's of custom and commercial chassis.

Bottom line -- Seagrave, Saulsbury, Pierce, E-One and ALF build quality Rigs. These trucks have been purchased by Large, Medium and Small depts. both paid and volunteer across the US. Just do your homework when developing specs and reviewing proposals. Do not accept drawings that have not yet been approved by the mfg’s engineering dept, otherwise, you open the door for last minute changes that may not meet your original design specs. Make sure you get everything in writing, don't accept verbal promises.

Don't start your search with just one manufacturer nameplate. Take a look at 4 or 5 different mfg’s rigs and after careful review narrow down your search to 2 or 3. Visit a couple of neighboring depts that have Seagrave's, Pierce's, Saulsbury's, E-One’s and ALF's. Take note of your likes and dislikes along with the feedback from the members of your neighboring dept's. Don’t just look at the new rigs. Take a look at the 5-10 year old ones and note how they’re holding up and performing. Remember, like people there are no perfect trucks. Every mfg has made mistakes and had their share of problems. The true measure is how did the mfg respond when issues arose and what type of dealer support did the FD receive. Most new rigs require some minor adjustments or repairs soon after delivery. Just make sure they were minor, and note how the local dealer responded.

You should perform similar research on the local mfg’s dealership. What type of reputation do they have and what are the character traits of the employee’s (from the proprietor to the technicians and sales staff).

Another item that must be looked at when researching new apparatus is the financial stability of the apparatus mfg. If one of your members has a degreed financial background have them perform some research --- take a look at financial reports and run D&B’s on the mfg’s your considering. If you have no such individual in your dept., reach out to the attorney for the fire district--dept and have them perform this research for you. A few apparatus MFG’s go out of business every couple of years and you do not want to be the one stuck with one of their rigs.

Obtain a copy of the Fire Apparatus Purchasing Handbook written by Battalion Chief Bill Peters of the Jersey City FD. You can even hire consultants (Harry Carter -- Bill Peters) to help review the specs and bids submitted by the Apparatus mfg’s you’re considering. I’m sure it would be well worth the consultant’s fee, considering that you’re probably going to spend between 350,000. – 500,000. for the typical Long Island Custom Pumper.

Bottom line ---- do your homework up front and reach out to those who have the credentials to render opinions that are based upon facts and years of experience rather than hear-say.

As far as options, and all apparatus mfg’s offer them. Do the same research when selecting them. Hydraulic generators, MIV’s, TRV’s, pressure governors, flow meters, pump panel mapping, foam systems, scene lighting, top or side mount pump panels---the list goes on and on. The question is what type of budget does your dept have and are these options necessary. You’ll be able to answer that question yourself by doing your homework.

Don’t forget about safety – low hosebeds and ground ladder mounting. Side mount pump panels -- try to keep pump panel intakes and discharges away from the pump chauffer –especially LDH. Has the Chassis MFG performed crash testing successfully meeting or exceeding ECE regulations/provisions?

Sorry for rambling on and on. I didn’t even touch the surface, nor do I proclaim to be an expert.

Good luck on your prospective purchase and stay safe. Port Jefferson’s a real nice town.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks TJS,
    Great post alot of useful info. I agree looking at a number of companies products is where we will begin. Although we will be getting a Seagrave. We currently havd a 83 Seagrave Ladder, and an 85, 97, and 98 engines. We are replacing the 85 engine. Although I originally posted this thread for info about Seagraves and options Dept. had come up with for use with their Seagraves, the info you have provided has been a great help.
    Guys please keep posting, but no need to debate which brand is better. Thats been done to many times in the forms. Please keep the info coming. Thank you.
    B Holmes

Thread Information