Thread: EVOC Course

Forum Member

Question EVOC Course

My Deputy Chief has requested that I arrainge an EVOC course to be taught in my Northern Mass Department. I was wondering who people would recommend for a class like this. I'm interested in seeing who everyone else is using and what thier opionion(on the class and how worthwhile it was) after having taken the class, and whether or not you would recommend your instructor.
    Thanks for all your help.
    E

MembersZone Subscriber

We require all apparatus operators to complete the EVOC class.

New York State recently mandated this class as a pre-req to classes such as pump ops and ladder ops.

Permanently Removed

Where does one get the EVOC course. I would like to set it up for our departmetn too.

MembersZone Subscriber

The EVOC course is offered by NYS OFPC. It is also an outreach course as a train the trainer. You could then teach your own. Contact whomever does your state fire training courses.

If your department is insured by VFIS ( other insurance companies may offer EVOC training ) they will train individuals free of charge as EVOC instructors . Check and see whom your department is insured with. We just sent 2 individuals for training last year and are sending 2 more to be certified as EVOC instructors next month.

http://www.vfis.com/

Andrew J. Gnoza, III
    Certified Instructor ...
    Hazardous Materials
    Criminal Investigations
    Confined Space Rescue
    Weapons of Mass Destruction
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal
    Explosive Safety Consultant

Talking evoc

hello-
    I would recommend getting that evoc training as soon as possible. Depending what vehicles your training on will prelude what instrucotr to get.
    Check the web for new schools and even view this firehouse.com place for the buyers guide, they have evoc schools thier.
    Kevin

www.leonardmotorsports.net

MembersZone Subscriber

As previously stated VFIS does offer EVOC classes as does ESIP. I imagine the other insurance carriers offer similar classes.

New York State OFPC does accept these two carriers versions of EVOC for their pre-reqs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA 1002

NFPA 1002 has a lay out and set up for the personnel to accomplish before becoming certified apparatus operators or refresher thats required yearly for all apparatus operators. This course should also encompass a great deal of classrom time, plan on having it over two to three days in length or longer if needed but one day should be in the classroom with a discussion on laws and regulations governing Emergency vehicle drivers, response and legal ramifications for accidents in your particular state and or neighboring state. The second day should be all hands on with driving course overview allowing for practice and then followed by actual certification.

Hope this helps

TC,KS
    Brad Hoff, North Pole Alaska
    "Protecting the Defenders of Freedom"
    FT. Wainwright Fire & Emergency Svcs
    North Star VFD, www.northstarfire.org

DTRT, EGH, RFB, FTM-PTB, KTF

"Keepin it REAL in the LAST FRONTIER"

"Firefighter Extraordinaire"

"If a firefighter was buck naked and given three ball bearings, then placed in a round room with no windows and only one entrance, he or she would emerge with two missing and one broken".

Forum Member

The State of Connecticut Fire Academy holds classes for this and it is very informative. You should contact them to see if you can get a copy of the lesson plan. If you have to buy it then get a few Departments together to chip in. I think its worth it. Good Luck
    I.A.C.O.J.

SOME ARE FIREMEN
    OTHERS ARE JUST ON
    THE FIRE DEPARTMENT

Forum Member

It's the same way in Massachusetts. Our State Fire Academy has an EVOC course that the put on, maybe your deputy chief should contact them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by strikinbox57 View Post
    It's the same way in Massachusetts. Our State Fire Academy has an EVOC course that the put on, maybe your deputy chief should contact them.
    He posted that question in 2002, so I think he probably figured it out by now. But thanks for playing, here's the FH.com home game as a parting gift.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    He posted that question in 2002, so I think he probably figured it out by now.
    Dont you hate slow dialup?
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Thread Information