Thread: Mass decon

Default Mass decon

I am interested in communicating with anyone who has been involved in a true mass decontamination (>100 victims) effort.

Default any decon effort?

Has anyone on the site been involved with any type of true mass decon of more than say 25 people?

Default Mass Decon

I have been involved in a mass decon greater than 25 less than 75 was do to a unknown product at a federal facility here in maine Suspected to be anthrax. Glad it was not! It was the first in the state so did it by the seat of our pants actually. Turned out excellent! but alot of work!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

At the fire works this year they had a mass decon tent already set up and ready to go with tech sitting in suit ready to go and we had the State ISU thier. Thank god it was not needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bolt only in training have I been involved in more then 25..One was 25 and another I believe was 40. And to be honest with yout here wasn't much to it other then trying to ensure everyone got deconned. Both were on a military base I was stationed at...one was my military job related and another was with my vollie department that got invited to one right after I got out.

MembersZone Subscriber

At a drill we discussed an idea that I think would work out well.
    In the past we have practiced setting up a mass decon corridor using a ladder truck. We drapped tarps on each side of the ladder and set up several streams along the length of the ladder. It took a while to set up but once running it worked fine.
    Now the idea that came up in drill involved going into a near by building setting off several sprinklers in the building and then walking the people in need of decon through. The idea came from a guy from a Federal lab by us. It is quick, you can maintain privacy,the weather isn't a factor and even if you can't decon the building who is going to argue that a building is worth more than 25 or more people. Heck, even the lives of 5 people (less we could handle with normal emergency decon).

No one is willing to give us a building for drill

I disagree with using the ladder truck and sprinkler heads some what in just one part how to contain the waste water, thats is supposed to be hazardous until proven otherwise I may be wrong but a sprinkler head is what 15 gal a min? Havent looked in a long time but still will be kinda hard to pump it off No offense is made and under some mass decons the above methods may be great Just a thought I had Besides that water can get cold!

MembersZone Subscriber

In you case of suspected Axthrax I would have no problem letting the waste water get away. Think about it, some people have some anthrax powder on them and you flush it with several hundred gallons of water, what are you going to have left? Nothing that is going to hurt anyone. For an anthrax call with multiple victims I'd probably find a school bus and take the whole contaminated lot of them to the hospital to be deconed. The bus can be deconed, and anthrax isn't going to get them right away.
    When you think about it, anything that is contaminating a living pt will be safe if flushed with enough water. So in a mass decon senario run off isn't a problem. The environmental damage can be delt with at a later time.

Now if you are worried about pt's getting cold or containment then a decon trailer would probably work well. I know Kohler had an ad for one recently.
    Last edited by ADSNWFLD; 10-01-2002 at 10:21 PM.

Oh I agree with the discharge on anthrax but not with all suspected products Then lets throw some other variables outside temp and the worst problem we has the reluctance of the potential victims. Trust me it is hard to get people to shower we fortunatly had some showers in the facility blocked off the drains baged thier property had them shower clothed them in tyvecks transported them to a larger facility and secondary decon we pumped off the waste to a folding tank outside. seconday decon also allowed for medical monitoring (never forget that step with civilians) you have major stress for all the victims (We had to transport several) arainge for meds for the pt it is a major undertaking that all the training in the world will never be the same as the real training we learned and got thru during the real thing Another thing was learning to improvise! Guess thats something we are good at as we didnt have all the fancy equipment that we all dream we have in our rigs My thanks goes out to all the departments we had there 5 fire 99% were vollunteer local state and county PDs and our county ema director We up here have only 1 tecnician level hazmat team and most departments only got to operations level the prior winter alot still at awareness
    also alot of this happened in the pre guidance days of anthrax. The feds are 3 1/2 hrs away driving (driving real fast) Maybe we helped write that chapter

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had the thrill of doing mass decon here in emergency settings and also on a few occasions in training with Feds. Most of this training was involving nerve agents or WMD's. You talk about some cool stuff to work with, you can tell who has the deep pockets when it comes to getting all the toys for sure. I will be glad to tell you more about it in some details if interested, however I am afraid it would take up too much space in the forum to do so here. If you are interested or would like to hear some of the experiences learned and tasks done then please feel free to mail me; hazmatroz@go.com and I'll be glad to relay the information. The one thing that I can say from all the experiences is--- if you think you have thought of everything, think again.

Thread Information