MembersZone Subscriber

Default Overturned Fueling Truck

Here is a photo I took of an overturned fuel truck that hit a bridge abutment and fell off the bridgedeck on to the bank of the river spilling a lot of it's cargo into the river. The DOT placard was "flammable #1203". I was first arriving officer and IC throughout the incident. The driver was seriously injured and had to be extricated. The fuel that had flooded his cab saturated him after he rolled over with the truck. The driver did live and the incident went over without any other property damaged or other people injured. This was a pretty complex incident with multi-agency cooperation (federal, state, county, local and private). Even though this incident occurred several years back I just thought I'd share it with you all.
    Any similar experiences?
    What would you have done here?

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Forum Member

We had a fuel truck collide with a cadillac back in 1990. I was first on scene at that and will never forget the sight of it. The truck had rolled on it's side and looked like an open hydrant flowing gasoline out the top. Truck driver was able to walk away, Caddie driver had a heart attack which we believe led to the accident and was DOA. By luck, our Town crew had just been finishing a project and had a front end loaded and 3 dump trucks full of clean dirt, so we had them come on scene and dump the dirt in 6 or 7 storm drains to help stop spreading of the gas. We used an old high expansion foam nozzle and flooded entire area with foam for about 4 hours. Coast Guard was requested to check lakes for any seepage, but they got the message that a tanker overturned and thought it was an ocean going tanker...4 boats and 2 helicopters responded. Oops. The engine on the truck had quit, but the driver did not shut off the ignition. We had a spectator come up and yell at us as we were not cutting the battery cables on the truck. For some reason, I was not really comfortable in standing in a knee deep puddle of gasoline cutting battery cables. Hazardous waste company came in cleaned up mess, dug up road, removed dirt for about 6 feet down in whole area. For about 2 years after that, when we had a heavy rain, foamy bubbles would appear in the area for some "unknown" reason.

FIGJAM

JW, the cabin doors appeared to be reasonably intact- could we not simply pop the doors and extricate through there?

As for the fuel spill, I'd dam up what I could with sandbags, etc and apply a nice layer of foam over it...

What'd you guys do?
    Luke

Forum Member

JW,I'd waited until you were done with the operator and then proceeded to make some fairly serious "coin".That's a good straightforward vehicle recovery job!T.C.

Thread Information