55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Professional Recognition ?

Something that a few of us have been kicking around for a while is the subject of professional recognition. (if that is the correct term) Those EMT's who obtain National Registry are usually recognized as such ie: John Doe, NREMT-P or I or B or...well, you get the idea. This appears in correspondence, business cards, certificates, etc. and identifies the holder as having reached a professional goal. This is also noted in the top of Fire service leadership where the titles of EFO (executive fire officer NFA) and MIFirE (member,institute of fire engineers) are used by those who have earned them. My question on this issue is: How about those who have earned (and earned is the proper term, they don't give them out free) Certification from the National Pro Board. Many, and I consider myself one, will not make it on to the EFO program or anything higher, but, we are still professionals in our chosen field, salaried or not. I, and a couple of other chief officers who hold NBFSPQ certificates have started using "NCFO" (nationally certified fire officer) on our business cards, letterhead, etc. as in "John Doe, NCFO" What do you think, ladies and gentlemen of the forums, should we start a trend or can it??
    Last edited by hwoods; 09-02-2002 at 08:56 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it is a good idea, not just for recognition but a better national standard for firefighting would allow people to go from one state to another without a lot of bull. For an example Illinois has a firefighter 2 & 3 level, no FFI. FFII is firefighter 1 and FFIII is firefighter 2. I'm not sure why but it causes some confusion from time to time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question why

Personally, I feel that if you need personal recognition in the forms of letters, initials, etc.. After your name, you may be in the wrong field. Now, your job title under your name is pretty much traditional for business cards. When you call a plumber over to fix your sink & he hands you a business card, do you care if his name reads Joe Plumber, NCMP? You just want him to fix the problem right. Believe me, when you do your job right, those who serve will remember you and the impact you had on their lives.
    On the other subject, Yes, it would be nice if every state recognized and went by Pro Board or IFSAC.
    Just my little penny
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

MembersZone Subscriber

h woods, I think your questions have merit. I also feel that if you worked hard to earn something you should be given proper credit regardless what its on. Dr.'s are Dr.'s but they still put their speciality on documents, as well as other interesting groups they belong to. I hope to continue my schooling and receive my masters degree someday, in what I don't know yet, but beleive me, I want all to know I busted my gluetues maximus to get it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Clarification

I probably should have explained...Our area is growing rapidly and I spend a lot of time working with Planning and zoning issues, testifying at hearings on land use matters, working with architects, planners, zoning attorneys, etc. I have completed the Community fire protection master planning course at the NFA and have qualified to testify as an expert witness at planning board hearings. Most of the people that I work with are graduates/certified or whatever and use AIA, or CMP,or CLP,and even a couple of JD's in the mix. When exchanging business cards at a meeting it becomes noticible. Thats where the idea came from, and so far I havn't noticed any negative reaction.
    Last edited by hwoods; 09-04-2002 at 01:51 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information