MembersZone Subscriber

Default OK...On to Round 5!!!!!!!!!!

Well, now that round 4 is done and the winners have been annnounced, I propose that we start a pool to guess when the next round will be officially announced. Side bets are allowed on number of awards and total $ amounts......
    Let the wagering begin!

Willie
    Station 43

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?? To Webteam

Webteam,

In watching the awards given in the area around my dept, it seems the that one award is going to each congressional district. Can you ask this question to FEMA??

Has anyone else seen this to be the case???

Administrator

exmrvfc

Not sure what the question meant, but they are listed (in the list we get) by Congressional District. However, there are many districts getting more than one award and many districts not getting any this round. It doesnt appear to have anything to do with the awards process, although in New York specifically it does appear a certain group of Districts were awarded but that only seems to be the case for this round. We'll ask...but it seems somewhat random.

Forum Member

Congratulations to all the winners in Round 4! However, I would like to address what I see as a disparity in this last round of awards. I will keep things general as possible as not to “bash” or blame any other departments or our brothers and sisters since no blame can be attributed to them. They have just done what they were supposed to do, apply for a grant. In my state where approximately 1 million dollars was awarded, one department received approximately 41% of the money. Do the math. Yes, this was only one round and could not be considered representative. Yes, I know the arguments. It was a paid full-time department so what do we volunteers care under the current rules. They respond to x number of calls. They protect x number of people in y number of square miles. They have x types of calls that require special y. You can go on and on. The fact remains that this grant program should be for departments that NEED help and NEED equipment. What could they possibly NEED that their tax base (which I’m assuming is the size of a small country) could not manage on their own? Granted, I do not know the specifics about this grant or this department, nor do I care since this is not about them, but looking in from the outside there seems to be some questions that need to be asked about the grant process. Do all departments NEED what this one has? No. Do all departments need to be brought to an even playing field with regards to safety, operations, and equipment? YES! It is frustrating to see departments with 3, 4, or 5 stations so much better equipped than your one station. I know of departments that would kill to have what many departments consider their worst piece of equipment. I am not trying to decide who should get what but am just trying to raise the awareness of FAIRNESS to all. Once again, congratulations go out to ALL who have received awards. Make the most of it!

Stay safe!

Forum Member

Default Get over part 2

Here we go again!!!
    Your state had over a million funded this round? My state wasn't funded this round you do the math.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Forum Member

wellsfr

You are right. My intent wasn't meant to focus on one particular area or State and never to anger anyone. If I have, I apologize. My intent was to point out some of the problems still inherent in the process as a whole and the fairness in distribution for ALL. Your state not getting any funding this round would have served the purpose as well. Does one department deserve it more than another is not for me to say but if we don't talk about things that we perceive as problems, we can't make an attempt to fix it or make it better. Does that mean we will whine and complain that we didn't get funded? No. We will have to try someting different next time or try harder. Will we be disappointed that we do not receive a grant? Yes. Will we blame other departments because "they shouldn't have gotten that, we should have." NO! As long as the grant is benefiting fire departments across the country, then it is a Godsend. I am thrilled that any department is receiving aid. Lord knows it's been a long time coming!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Why

Congratulations to all the winners thus far. However I would like to say that those of us who are posting on these forums appear to be taking things too far. Seems that there has been alot of over analizing going on. Yes, I also applied for a grant, and yes I'm curious as well on when or if we'll get funded. But in the meantime I think all of this "if you do the math" or "compared to" and all these other posts about infamous eXt's is going to far. It seems to give others false hope, make phone calls, and other things strictly out of some people who have energetic minds get everyone else thinking too hard. I'm sorry if I may have worded this wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone. It is nice to see that theres those of you who care enough to analize things, and keep others informed. However I think the wrong type of thinking is going on when FEMA asks for input on how to make the process better.
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

Forum Member

Default kprsn1

great reply I feel that this is a great program. Though it is only designed to last three years, I think it can be continued as long as we all support it and can show need for the funds. The key word being need. Yes I agree there are flaws to the system and though it will improve we have to face the fact that it will never be perfect. I do hope that everyones questions are answered, but in the end not everybody will be happy no matter what the results are (just human nature I guess). And yes we should try to help the process, but in a possitive mannor.

negative reactions will only breed negative responses. Just my opinion.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Forum Member

Default COFire, wellsfr

There's truth to what you say COFire. You can definitely over analyze things. That "ext" thing has driven me nuts and for what? Hasn't helped us a bit although it's fun to dream!
    Wellsfr hit the nail on the head with the POSITIVE feedback. Being disgruntled and resentful solves nothing. Hopefully (to paraphrase wellsfr) positive reactions will bring positive responses!

Exclamation Next Round A Big One??

Doesn't FEMA have to handout like 150 mill by the end of September???
    If so the rounds have been only going off every 3 weeks and only 76 mill so far been given out, means that in this month alone they have to give out more then 73 mill in grants. I think this is correct. Can anyone enlightin me on this???
    Be Safe

Administrator

Yes, FEMA must give out $150M by the end of this month. As far as anyone can tell, they will (or basically they'd be throwing away millions of dollars which REALLY wouldn't make anyone happy), so you can presume the next rounds will come fast and larger to hit that number.

WebTeam

Forum Member

I would think that the next rounds will have a large number of depts., large grant awards, or both! Unless they start doing them every week, there is only time for 2 more rounds at the rate they have been going. So, that is at least $36 million per round?
    Congrats to all the winners and good luck to everyone still waiting!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Default Illinois Grants

KPRSN1 and all.... As an Illinois round 5 wannabee.... I take a little offense to this second guessing and how did this happen crapola. Jonh king, and Wellsfr have agreed with me in different forums on this subject. Here's my suggestion....
    The same dept in IL, that got, for arguments sake almost a half million, recieved a grant last yaer fora brush truck. I wrote for an ambulance last year and didn't get it. I know of the town; and do they need a brush truck... who knows? Thier tax base high... you bet. But they did it, and good for them. This year I toned down my request and ask for 10K in fire prevention, this round a town very close to me got the same $ in the same category, yet nothing yet for us. Call them, ask for the primary involved and touch base with them. They usualy share everything and use this as a LEARNING EXPERIENCE. I have, last year and today. Even if my town dosen't recieve the grant this year, there is other funding out there. Be happy for those that succeeded and learn from them.
    Good Luck to all who are still in FEMA limbo.

Forum Member

Default ffpm43

Yes, your point is very valid as well. I want to reiterate that I, in no way, could ever say that one department deserves something over another because I do not have ALL the information. And I am extremely happy that ANY department is getting funding. Who knows how that funding could affect us? We might be passing through this particular town, staying at a hotel, visiting friends/relatives, etc and require the assistance of the fire/ems service in that area. I can betcha I will be glad they got that new pumper, rescue, ambulance or whatever it may be. We are in the same boat as everyone else for funding. We apply for numerous grants as well, sometimes you win sometimes you lose but you must learn from each attempt on how to do better which involves asking "why?". And that includes, like you say, speaking with the ones that received funding and even ones that didn't receive funding. I believe this is a great program and for being in its second year has made fantastic strides and will continue to get better with input from fire service members from across the country. We are all in this together.
    Good luck to all still on the bubble!

Forum Member

Question Anything Happening

Has anyone heard anything yet for round 5? Just wondering if they have sent out any more of the 5 questions or 1199 forms. Have not heard a thing on our app one way or the other.

Oh well, sitting here and hoping for the best. Good Luck to all. Congrats to all the winners so far!

Huck

Default 1199 form

We are part of the original 1199A forms that was sent out on July the 9th. Got our five questions about 3 weeks ago. The lady from FEMA told me we will be hearing something after the first of the month this being the first of the month we are still waiting. We applied for a Pumper Tanker since we cover 108 square miles with only less then 1 square mile of this having firehydrants with only 5 out of 12 of them operational.
    Be Safe

Forum Member

Default Grants Awarded without 1199 & 5 questions?

Hello Webteam and anyone else that can answer,

Has anyone out there received a FEMA grant WITHOUT getting the 1199 questions AND the 5 questions??

Forum Member

Default huck 3040

We heard word of a nearby department receiving the 5 questions about 2 or 3 weeks ago and they were not listed in Round 4. Haven't heard anything since then.

Haven't heard a word so far. I am waiting to hear one way or the other along with the other 9,000 or so departments. mjboom, I have heard a couple of people say that they didn't hear a word from FEMA or their Rep's. until after they saw their departments on an announcements.
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

some depts. that have put in for and at least one that received the award was going to buy equipment anyway but thought" hey if we can get the govt. to give it to us for free why not do it?" and the money saved was used for "frilly stuff" and this was told to me to be fine according to the rules. this is what I don't like.
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Forum Member

There is a question on the application that asks why this request cant be funded locally. sounds like a little fudging on the app. But I dont think it is fine with fema.
    wellsfr

Forum Member

Default phone call??

Can anyone tell me if they have received a phone call from FEMA? Did they say they were from the "FEMA National Emergency Training Center"? To make a long story short I was on vacation and came back to find a voice mail. However the voice mail was cut off. The only thing there was a female answering saying..."FEMA National Emergency Training Center". Then she hung up. <only if I had been home to answer the phone....dang it!>

WWW.PVFD.NET

Forum Member

Wink

JamesBennett-

We received and responded to the 5 questions e-mail, but never did get the e-mail about the 1199a.

We were announced as a grant awardee in Round Three.

We were never called by our State Reps, nor Senators, nor the State Fire Marshall's Office, prior to, or after the annoucement. Nor have we received a written congratulatory note from anyone in the political arena.

The only congratualations we have received so far have come from a multitude of equipment manufacturers, who coincidentally, asked us to consider them while making plans to spend the money.

This grant thing maybe becoming "old hat" to the politicians. Maybe it's not as big a deal as we thought it was.
    Grant me the strength to change things I can, accept what I can't, and to know the difference.

Default Well Let Me Be The First!

CONGRAT'S ON YOUR AWARD!! I don't realy think it's "old hat".
    I called my Sen. office after the fourth round notices were sent to them and the lady I spoke with told me she was calling everyone on the list the day she recieved it. Of course her next words were "YOUR NOT ON THE LIST!". The Congressman from my area has voted against this "God Send" every time he had the chance, so I don't expect a call from him for this reason. O' Well enough of that, congrat's again on you guy's and gal's award! I know the feeling about the venders though, the guy who I worked with on the spec's for the truck we applied for has called me at least once a week since they started announcing the awards. I guess he missed the part of our conversation when I told him we would taking bids from everyone if we got the grant! Stay Safe and thanks for the feed back!!
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Question

Does anyone have any idea when the next wave of Dear John's will be going out? There are about 7,500 more of those to go out.

Thread Information