Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Call to Action:REstore the Funds!!!

I had opportunity to speak with someone from FEMA this AM regarding our application. We had gotten an e-mail, asking us to call them. I though it was about the "5 Questions" and called several times until I got through to the contact. Unfortunately, FEMA didn't want to ask me the questions, but was letting us know we were "on the bubble" for funding our request. (And for what it's worth, this did not seem like an OFFICIAL call, just a friendly advisory.)
    Basically, we were in the money, until the $5 Billion got vetoed. Seems that FEMA had already graded out applicants for this funding as well and were only waiting for the funds to be released....And as of now, it looks like no funds. There is a pretty large group of departments in this "never, never land" and they all could use some HELP...

What I am asking is for every fire department to contact the office of their US Senator and US Representative and ask that the FY2002 Supplimental Fire Act funding be restored, as soon as possible. This is not political, just demand, beg, plead, cajole, whatever etc. so that they take action, before they adjoun at the end of the month. It will take EVERYONE to get this done. While it will not help every department that has an application pending, it will help some of us...

LET THE BROTHERHOOD RISE AND LET OUR VOICE BE HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you
    Willie
    Station 43

Thumbs up

It does not get any easier than this. All you need to know is your zipcode. Lets put our typing fingers where our mouths are.

http://www.congress.org/

Firefighter
    & Board President
    New Market Volunteer Fire
    Non Volunteering Volunteer (Retired)

How about someone quickly developing a form letter that everyone could use to request restoring the funds? Any takers? Webteam?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sample Letter

Here is a draft I used for the basis of my letters:

Dear (insert Representative or Senator name here):

I am writing you for your assistance, in reference to the United States Fire Administration (USFA) FIRE Act grants. As you may be aware, the response to this program has been unprecedented and the number of fire departments that well receive grants is dwarfed by the number of applicants.

Recently we have learned that many department applications are “on the bubble” for funding. This is the result of the recent veto of an appropriations bill that included, among many items, a $150 million supplemental allocation (FY2002) for this important FEMA program. While we do not want to enter into the political arena, we feel it is absolutely necessary that something be done to reinstate this funding. The importance of this program to the nations fire fighters cannot be understated or ignored.

Simply put, I am writing the request your assistance in restoring the supplemental application, not only to assure funding for our grant application, but also for the many other fire department applications that find themselves in the same precarious position. As these supplemental funds affect this fiscal year (FY2002), your immediate attention is necessary. Should there be any questions, or need any additional information, please contact me at__________ or via e-mail at____________. Your assistance is appreciated.

Sincerely;

Fill in the blanks as necessary. I e-mailed copies to all our our REpresentatives (we have 2) and Senators, and faxed copies to their offices as information was available....
    Lets bury them in PAPER>>>>>>It an ELECTION year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willie
    Station 43

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OOOPPPSSS

Please note that the word "well" in paragraph one should be "[b]will[b]"!!!

Willie

Smile Emails vs. Call and Snail Mails

Hey guys,
    I would like to offer a word of advice when contacting your reps.
    I have been told, by numerous people and associations, that in order to really get your reps' attention you should write a letter and send it by snail mail, or you should call and talk to the them direct. I have dealt with reps' for reasons other than the fire grant and I know from my experience that they were much more responsive on the phone or by snail mail. I nomally call, but if you must write a letter ask them to call you back as compared to writing you back. Now don't get me wrong, some reps' may use email more than others, but in my experience a phone call worked best for me. If they are anything like me, "yup, read that email, will get to that" and then you, unintentionally, forget about it.
    A letter is always nice, because they can compile them, and quantify them for their arguments..such as, " I have 345 letters from fireman.." waving them in his hands as he makes his case to the audience.

As displayed in other posts, whether you call or write, choose your verbage wisley. Willie did a nice job with his letter. Good work Willie!

Let's get this back on the floor brothers and sisters.

Stay safe and god bless,

Pete

Thread Information