Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Year end review ?

Do any of you have a year end evaulation or review done on department members? If you do what is it like? A report card? what information does it contain or cover?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department is a combo department. We have 4 paid men and the rest of us are volunteer. Every six months we have what is called an efficiency vote.

During the first 2 weeks in January and July, we pass out a sheet with every members name on it paid and volunteer. Next to the name is a "Yes" column and a "No" column.

If you vote "yes" that means that the person is doing fine and you have no complaint.

If you vote "no" for any member then you list the reason on the back and sign it, and they receive a letter notifying them that they received one or more "no" vote(s) and the reason(s) listed. Any member that receives 20% of the membership voting "no" for them is asked to resign. I've been in the department for 17 years and have only seen this twice. The one receiving the "no" votes does not know who submitted it.

It's by secret ballot. You mark your ballot or roster and then put it in a locked box, a voting box if you will. After the 2 weeks is up, the officers open it up and see what the votes show.

Ed
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Thanks emsbrando.
    Ok so no one else has them.
    how about a guy that is in the dept...don't train, don't attend calls,
    Now... how does the chief handle it?
    Canned one time, three strikes.?
    We have a couple.. I was wondering how they would be handled in your dept?

To remain a member in my department:

Each member has to make a certain percentage of the fire calls (EMS related fire responses do not count)and drills.

My department answers approx. 2,000 fire calls a year and this is what is required of a fire member:

0 - 9 years of service 20% of fire calls & 14 drills
    10 - 19 yrs 15% " " & 14 drills
    20 or more yrs 10% " " & 14 drills

Example:

A member with 5 yrs of service needs to make at least 225 fire calls and 14 drills a year. If they do not make this total 2 yrs in a row they are dropped from the company. There are exemptions for a variety of things such as military committments, medical reasons, etc.

My dept answers approx 4,500 EMS runs a year and this is what an EMS member is required to do:

18 hrs of duty per month
    6 hrs must be from 2400 - 0600 hrs

As for performing up to standards....

These items are constantly discussed between other ff's and officers and formally discussed by the officers twice a month a officers mtgs. If the same member continues to have the same problems the training officer reviews the below standard tasks with the member in attempts to correct them.

No matter what type of department you are in you have every right to demand high performance from your members. Just like anywhere else, some people do the job better than others, but we should attempt to set a fair performance standard, improve someone's defeciencies, and make everything known to all that are involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

GPM:

In the efficiency vote, if you receive the 20% of members voting "no" then your out. The Department sends you a letter and you are asked to turn in your stuff. In the last round of the vote, we did have a member that received enough votes to where he had to quit.

The officers of the Department tabulate the votes, and issue a letter to the member. It is signed by all officers and then sent through the mail. This particular member has not shown up at any meetings or fires for quite some time, and with no reason.

There is no 3 strike rule or anything like that. If you get the required "no" votes, then your out.

We do have a rule that each member has to make 60% of all drills, and 40% of all fires as a minimum during the year. This is posted so you know who is responding and who isn't.

Hope that helps,

Ed
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Malahat Fire Rescue, Year End Revue:

"We got paged. We drove big shinny red trucks (and a little yellow one). We cut up some cars, put the water on the fire, and bandaids on the cuts. Then we came back and made sure the big red trucks (and the little yellow one) where ready to do it again."

Actually, our department is in the process of putting together a year end evaluation for our members, calls, training, etc. However, it is a little slow to get started... but there is always next year to shoot for...
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

emsbrando: Interesting system. It it works for you, great, but it just seems somewhat devoid of due process. 20% seems like a pretty small faction to oust a member might not have even been accused of something. Once in a while we have a little visible division in our company, I'd hate to see someone turned away because of it. Just my opinion...

Thread Information