District Chief

Fred....

Good job...perhaps your inquiry stimulated some behavioral modification.

Question for you...are you deparment policies Standard Operating Procedures or Standard Operating Guidelines?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

captstanm1:

They are called APGs or Administrative Policy Guidelines.

District Chief

Fred....

I was just curious.... The fact that they say "Guidelines" offers the ability of the OIC to make discretionary decisions
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

AMAZING!
    I just read most (not all) of the notes on this subject - the search of single family buildings.
    Whew!
    I wonder how much you all would write and think about as the buildings you respond to and larger in area; taller in height; differing in combustibility; increasing in life load; and eliminating (by height) simultaenous access points???
    We lose 80 percent of our total civilian life loss in America inside of private dwellings and they die in numbers of ONE and TWO average per incident.
    All areas that I teach in say (in one way or another), "Our basic fire experience is a one story private dwelling!"
    Now you think that we would be better at this experience in that it should be ROUTINE & SUCCESSFUL!
    No wonder some of us get confused under the smoke!
    K.I.S.S.

OH sorry brothers -
    What is a "Purple Hydrant Award"???????????

(Please don't let it be for Injuries Received - please)

IACOJ BOD

111Truck

I will let Capt Stan advise on his meritorious "Purple Hydrant" awards. Suffice to say they are for valour in the forums.

While I agree with you that it should be "ROUTINE" each time, in relation to what the FF's are going to do. That can only occur where the station is used to dealing with these incidents on a regular basis, and/or drills for them regularly as well.

As previously stated, as a National Fire Service our techniques and training are the same acros the whole country. I would be interested to see if any study exists within the USA to show death rates in NFPA compliant states verses non NFPA states.

That might be an eye opener, as well as providing leverage for serious people to bring serious change.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information