Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kitchen Fire demonstrator

We have been using a small trailer suitably lined and outfitted to demonstrate the hazards of, and correct response to kitchen fires.
    The trailer can be towed behind a light truck and has side opening doors with fold down steps to reveal a kitchen bench with a stove in the centre with a gas burner ring mounted on it powered from a BBQ cylinder mounted on the trailer drawbar.
    A large saucepan is placed on the gas ring with about half a pint of cooking oil in it and allowed to overheat to the point of ignition. A firefighter then demonstrates extinguishing the flames alternatly with a wet Tea towel, an oven tray and a chopping board also demonstrating how with no cooling effect the fire can easily reignite if the smothering device is removed too quickly. For a finale a long pole is used to tip a small amount of water into the pot to show the disasterous effect of the boilover that can result.
    It makes a great display for any public gathering and works well as a drawcard for other fire safety handouts. Anyone wanting more information could e mail me. jimthefireman@firehousemail.co m

Jim Maclean
    Auckland NZ

MembersZone Subscriber Firedog1's Avatar

Lightbulb Excellent Idea

This is an excellent idea...I was try to think of a way to teach kitchen safety tips to high school students in Home Economics classes. This idea fits the bill.

To serve and protect,
    Firedog1 AKA Chris Carpenter
    Last edited by Firedog1; 09-25-2002 at 07:39 PM.
    Lt C. Carpenter BS, NREMT-P

Forum Member

It would be cool to make a bunch of burn props and burn boxes to have public service announcements on tv to show what can happen when you dont practice safety.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

We have had what we call the "chip pan unit" for many years, its a great tool for demonstrating what will happen if you allow oil filled pans to overheat. I may have some photos somewhere if anyone would like them.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thread Information