Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default SANFORD NC. FIRE FIGHTERS NEED OUR HELP

As you may or may not know the City of Sanford NC has fought hard against the Sanford IAFF local in order to keep them from conducting a boot drive in the streets. Jerry Lewis denounced the actions of the city during the MDA telethon, NOW IT IS OUR TURN. Write the City of Sanford a letter and tell them you disagree with the actions they took against the fire fighters.
    HERES THE ADDRESS
    city@sanfordnc.net
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Here's what I sent to the City of Sanford, North Carolina

To who it may concern:

I am a Fire Captain with the Marlborough Fire Department in Marlborough, Massachusetts. the members of my Union (Marlborough Firefighters Local 1714) have been conducting an annual voluntary toll road for the Muscular Dystrophy Association since 1984. In the 18 years we have been doing the "voluntary toll road, we have raised over $216,000 without incident and without compromising the safety of our personnel or the public we serve. We have the support of our Mayor, City Council, Police and Fire Chiefs in conducting this worthy endeavor.

I find it appalling that the City would interfere with their firefighters conducting a charity drive to help others on their own time.

I would hope that you would keep an open mind and reconsider this decision for next year. The firefighters of Sanford would not compromise their safety or that of the public.

Sincerely,

Ron Ayotte
    Captain, Engine 1, Group 1
    Marlborough Fire Department

Feel free to edit, copy and paste to fit your needs!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-05-2002 at 02:49 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Elsewhere too!

Prince Georges County, Maryland has done the same thing. A letter from the Fire and police chiefs was circulated thru the stations, sent to the Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association, and local 1619 IAFF, quoting passages from the State law on impeding traffic, as well as the county law on PANHANDLING! in an effort to stop boot drives. At this time we in PG county are close to a very bitter primary election. If the right Democratic nominee wins we can go back to doing something for Jerry. If not, life will be hell for all firefighters here (the republicans support public safety members)as the others have no use for us, career or volunteer. At least 1 democrat wants to cut staffing, close stations, bill the public for services, etc. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Chief, check with any police officers you know either at your station or ones that stop by for fuel. I think there is a loophole in that law. On the other hand, I would be willing to give up boot drives for the sake of not having teenage basketball players and Nation of Islam reps. banging on my Window at every intersection inside the Beltway looking for handouts. I like doing boot drives and think they are a good way for your community to support you and get to see the people who are providing the service to them and keeping their taxes down. We actually utilize the shopping center on Woodyard Road where they put the new Wal-Mart. Some of our more Dedicated members have raised quite a bit of donations in that location. I was wondering where all the MDA boot guys were this year, I usually donate to them versus going to the softball tournament. I wish the PCVFRA would get in on the MDA Tourney every year along with the IAFF local. Might help improve realtions and it could raise even more for this cause by having double the amount of people out there raising money. As far as Jerry Lewis goes....well, thats for another thread.
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Captain Gonzo, may I have your critique before I send this.

To whom it may concern,
    I knew someone who died of Muscular Dystrophy on Christmas of 1999. His name was Brandon I knew him through Little Leauge,since he was wheelchair bound he could not run and hit like the other children on the field.
    However Brandon was never let alone,he was allowed to be the asistant coach of the team. This chance to help made Brandon very happy,and let him expierience the fun of baseball and gave him a breif retreat from the pain and helpless feeling that he had being wheelchair bound.
    Upon his untimely death of only 19 his borther David spoke at his funeral and broke down in tears when he said that all Brandon ever wanted was to be able to get up and hit a home run and run around the bases like the other kids.
    The firefighters that you are choseing to deny the right of public assembly,are not willing to sit around and watch these children die and suffer from this disease. These firefighters are willing and trying to make a difference in the lives of children and young adults.
    It is the instinct of a firefighter is to help there fellow man,either by hoseing down a persons house, on a ladder rescueing a child. These firefighters are helping people like Brandon play baseball, not with a hose or a ladder but with a boot and a big heart.
    I would hope that you would keep an open mind and reconsider this decision for next year. The firefighters of Sanford would not compromise their safety or that of the public.

Sincerely,
    Chief Jesse L Mazzie
    Fire explorer post 3334

The contents of your letter are straight fromn the heart...but...you have to do something with the spelling and punctuation if you want to send it and be taken seriously.

Jesse, I would retype this on a word program and do the spelling and grammar check... don't change the wording!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Captain, email sent, advice taken.

This one is just for the Captain.

Who is the instructor over there at the MFA that wheres the blue construction helmet,yells alot, and last name begins with a B ???
    Last edited by dfdex1; 09-06-2002 at 10:53 PM.

Thread Information