MembersZone Subscriber

Question dayton air bag explosion

can some one tell me where i can find a copy of the tape where the two firefighters were injured when the air bag system deployed while they were in the process of an extrication.

i would like to have a copy for training purposes in my dept.

FIGJAM

Check out Ron Shaw's website, Extrication.com

Click here to take you directly to the video listing...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

The Dayton Airbag Incident videotape program, documenting the events that took place during the August 1995 crash, was produced by the Fire & Emergency Television Network (FETN). I was the writer of the video and appear as the on-camera host.

The 25-minute video is available for sale from FETN. Ron Shaw is an authorized vendor for FETN materials and as such, the take is available from him as well.

Ron is at <www.extrication.com> and by going to <www.pwpl.com>, you can contact the FETN sales staff directly.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

If you contact me via private e-mail I'll give you an address to send me a blank tape and return postage.

I'll make you a copy that I have that is not FETN's and will not cost you anything. It's only 5 minutes long but it shows what you need.

Even though we are always taught not to show the wrong way to do things when we teach I use it in my airbag classes. It's a great way to show students the consequences of ignoring the rules when it comes to air bags.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

For any of you who have viewed the Dayton Airbag incident, especially those who teach with this video; do you know what the real cause of the airbag deployment was?

When analysts talk about the "error-chain", what was the root cause or initial error that set in motion the chain of events that led to Dayton airbag deployment?
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Default No wood...

All of their cribbing left on the truck - no vehicle stabilization done. Attempts to pry open the hood to disconnect the battery shook and rocked the unstabilized car causing pain to the remaining occupant. The IC called off trying to DC the electrical, and 20 or so minutes later the bags were deployed.

Forum Member

Ron:

kbud hit the nail on the head. Basically they ignored all the rules.

The video I have also has an interview with the "victim" who said that after the incident they investigated airbag systems and you should hear all the dribble he had to say. Most of it is wrong and I don't know where he "investigated" the systems but it wasn't by talking to any of the vehicle manufacturers, you or me.

As far as "touchy-feely" instruction goes, drkblrm has obviously never been to an instructor's seminar and didn't understand the full meaning of my sentence. Your math teacher didn't teach that 2+2=5 is wrong, they taught you that 2+2=4 is right. Presenting the video shows the results of doing things wrong and that is a good thing as long as the students don't take away the bad things that occured that night. We don't teach to ignore all the safety rules. That's what I don't want my students to get out of the video.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

thank for all the responses this will help me greatly in teaching classes in my dept.

FIGJAM

My understanding is that they didn't disconnect power and disregarded all the rules when working with SRS.

To top it off, I beleive they actually placed the spreader tips against one of the SRS command modules and spread off from it, which may have lead to an electrical short, causing the airbags to deploy....
    Luke

Thread Information