Default Political Suicide

Tom Golisano a Governor canidat in New York State has just commited political suicide. He proposed a plan to eliminate ALL paid firefighters from the staet of New York, and have all volunteer companies, including FDNY. Nobody would go for this especially NY after WTC.

Golisano Offers Plan to Lower Taxes by 30%
    August 28th, 2002

By Karen DeWitt
    New York State Public Radio

In this year's governor's race, billionaire businessman from Rochester Tom Golisano says he's offering a conservative voice that he thinks has been missing from the political debate. Wednesday, Golisano rolled out a plan that he says could cut property taxes in New York by as much as 30%.

Tom Golisano, runs the multi billion dollar business Paychex, which is based in Rochester but has employees in several other states. Golisano says experiences with his own workers have further convinced him that property taxes in New York, among the highest in the nation ,are prohibitive for economic growth. He says he recently moved a sales manager from Atlanta Georgia, to Rochester. The man found property taxes on a similar house were three times higher in New York than in Georgia. The CEO of Paychex says he was forced to give the man more money to make up the difference.

Golisano is offering a ten-point plan that he says could bring property taxes down in New York by 20 to 30%. First, he would do away with full time firefighters in cities, and substitute volunteers instead. He'd eliminate legal loopholes that allow rich elderly New Yorkers to pass on their money, and let Medicaid pay for their nursing home stays. Golisano says he would offer younger family members money to take care of elderly relatives at home. Golisano would get rid of tenure for teachers, and force local governments to consolidate.

Golisano admits that some of the ideas might prove unpopular, in particular the elimination of paid firefighters in the wake of September 11th, but he insists that something drastic has to be done to turn around the moribund upstate economy.

The billionaire businessman says that because he is financing his own campaign, he'd be free as governor to antagonize powerful groups like unions, and other special interests that donate large sums of money to the political campaigns of other candidates.

Golisano is running in a primary against Governor George Pataki for the Independence and Conservative Party lines.

Thumbs up What an ***!!!

Ya Okay… Lets get rid of all the Policemen too and since were doing away with them how about we go ahead and get ride of all the snow plow drivers and Schoolteachers. We’ll just get the already overtasked Vollenteers to do everthing. These people crack me up. Unbelievable news, and on the heels of the September 11 anniversary. You got my Vote Tom.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Forum Member

Where does he propose to find 10,000 volunteer firefighters for N.Y.C. alone? I am sure he will garner many votes in a state that elected H.R.C.... I feel terrible for this guy,he had to pay an employee extra money to live in New York.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

...And his major campaign promise in all of his TV ads is how he will create jobs in NY. By elliminating 40,000? He just shot himself in the foot with this one.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, he's a bright one....I'll lower property taxes this way, but insurance rates will go up. I wonder if Mr. Golisano lives in a are protected by career firefighters. If he doesn't, I wonder what the last time he listened to a radio to hear how long it takes for his and/or surrounding area apparatus to get on the road.
    Somehow I think this might be a little blown out of proportion. But then again, if any of you have read the book Slander and how the media is run and owned by liberals, you'd understand why they haven't touched this story. If any of you get a chance, read it, it will shock you of how things you don't really pick up because we are so used to the way the press operates occurs and is run. It does get boring at points and you may only be able to read 5 or so pages at a time, but I found it excellent overall.

District Chief

Default RUBBING MY EYES..>Can't beleive what I read!

UNBELIEVABLE..

I think this may call for a IACOJ BMI investigation
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Captstan

Already underway

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Ok so let me think.
    I will make jobs by cutting 40-50 thousand of them that are not economy dependent,so that they cant spend money in the local economy so that I can lower property taxes for the large rich landowners like my self get a break. Yes and in that I will isolate the rest of my states popualtion,and being surrouned by rich landowners who want the same thing acourse there gonna say"Go for it"-----Dear god im exactly what this "state" needs!

There must be a Mutt magent in the middle of New York state,they seem to attract the cream of the mutt crop! Heck the reason they got the Clintons is no other state wanted them!

How 'bout we keep the firefighters and unload the politicians.

Originally posted by BLACKSHEEP-1
    How 'bout we keep the firefighters and unload the politicians.
    Great idea!!! Let him volunteer for Governor and put the Governors pay check back into the state tresuary!

And you would have to pay me to goto New Yuck state too-even for a vist! Just alittle shot from us on the good side of the Hoosac tunnel!
    Last edited by dfdex1; 09-07-2002 at 10:08 PM.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 09-09-2002 at 07:02 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

what party is this guy running for?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Angry

from his website that E40FDNYL35 provided, "Tom currently resides in Victor, NY"

I can't believe he is planing on this idea to even work. I do hope this is one of those promises that never get fulfilled.

also the site states this is his third attempt to run for governor.

why can't he be like the other self-made billionaires and just buy a sports team?
    Last edited by RyanEMVFD; 09-08-2002 at 10:48 AM.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

There is no email listed on his site. However, I did a little digging and found one for him

golisanocampaign@golisano.com

You'd think he'd get it after not winning the first two times

I noticed that the article referenced above is not listed on his site either. Imagine that... voters might have a problem with eliminating the FDNY. The only reference to firefighters is that he is going to increase incentives to gain more volunteer firefighters.

I referenced the article above in my email to him, should I actually get a response I'll post them both.
    Last edited by Temptaker; 09-08-2002 at 04:22 PM.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

You'd think he'd get it after not winning the first two times
    No way, he has the Ross Perot Syndrome!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

I live near Victor NY, it is a very wealthy community, and it is an all vollunteer FD.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FirstInLastOut
    I live near Victor NY, it is a very wealthy community, and it is an all vollunteer FD.
    And I'm sure that Galisano is a member of the Victor Volunteer Fire Department!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

It seems to me that this person needs to get the dollar signs out of his eyes and look around. I'm a 16 year volunteer FF, but this is absolutly stupid. Volunteers could probably handle the job if they had his money and spare time. Some of us volunteers have to work for a living. Not sit in an office somewhere, thinking of ways to save my company money.

Let me count to relieve some anger.

1 ... 2 ... 3 ...

5001 ... 5002 ...

Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

Talking

This guy is too funny. Are you sure that there wasn't some typo leaving out the punch line to this joke. Not for nothing, with the amount of time and energy it takes to keep our little 150 call a year fire dept operating I can't imangine what it would take to run some of these big paid depts as volunteers.

On another note if anyone finds the recipe for what this guy is smoking, please post it. I could use to spend some time completely out of my mind.

Have a safe one, and take a couple of minutes on Wednesday to remember what we are all here for.

-J
    "The person who says it can't be done, is ALWAYS interupted by the person that JUST DID IT!!"

FIRST IN ....... LAST OUT

It is not all glory, I roll a lot of HOSE!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

"Plans" such as this are yet another reason why the volunteer vs. paid war goes on and on and on...

Don't worry Brothers, most of us Volunteers wouldn't take him up on his offer.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Buy a sports team??

why can't he be like the other self-made billionaires and just buy a sports team?
    Tom is trying that route to get voters in the Buffalo area!!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...07/1047841.asp

Chad

Well I said IF I got a response from him I would post both my email to him and the response. I doubt VERY much that I'll get an actual response.

My email to him:
    Mr. Golisano,

I can't believe that you would actually consider eliminating the jobs of the FDNY! Do you have any concept of the amount of call volume these firefighters have on a daily basis?

"Golisano is offering a ten-point plan that he says could bring property taxes down in New York by 20 to 30%. First, he would do away with full time firefighters in cities, and substitute volunteers instead. He'd eliminate legal loopholes that allow rich elderly New Yorkers to pass on their money, and let Medicaid pay for their nursing home stays. Golisano says he would offer younger family members money to take care of elderly relatives at home. Golisano would get rid of tenure for teachers, and force local governments to consolidate. "

How exactly do you think that you are going to find enough volunteer firefighters to staff a dept like NYC?

I find it rather interesting that you campaign site doesn't reference this particular article. Why is that? Do you think that maybe the voters might have a problem with you ELIMINATING the firefighters that risk their lives on a daily basis? Do you think they might have a problem with not knowing whether or not a full compliment of firefighters are going to show up to put out their apt building when it's on fire?

If you want to do something to help the state why don't you try implementing standards that are required for ALL depts, paid or volunteer so that tragedies like Lairdsville wont happen again. Do you even know what happened there sir?

A Volunteer firefighter who was in a command position was allowed to run an evolution without the necessary safety measures in place. He placed a rookie firefighter (3 weeks on the job) who was not SCBA certified into a acquired burn structure to be used as a LIVE victim. There were no hose lines in place, there was no secondary means of egress, and RIT (rapid intervention team) didn't even know how many victims were inside (2 incidentally). That young man, whose name was Bradley Golden is now dead because of the negligent actions of Alan Baird III. Yes there are others who were also at fault, however prosecution hasn't been pursued thus far with any of them. If you want to do something try improving the safety of the state not decreasing it!

There is no doubt in my mind that your campaign will fail. Maybe you'll figure it out the 4th time around.
    The form mail response:

Thank you for your interest in Tom Golisanos campaign for governor.
    Currently, we are recording Tom's positions on all the issues that are important to New Yorkers. As soon as it is completed it will be posted.
    If possible, I would suggest that you periodically log on to www.golisano.com where we will have Tom's positions on the issues as well as "The Golisano Plan" to build a New York that all New Yorkers can be proud of.

Thank you again for your support.

The Tom Golisano For Governor Committee
    I didn't tell him that I am not from NY, never mind another country. Perhaps if he gets enough emails depicting the outrage of the people he will rethink his mandate. I doubt it, but miracles do happen.

My reference to Lairdsville was not meant to be disrespectful to any volunteer firefighters.
    Last edited by Temptaker; 09-09-2002 at 01:15 AM.

Personally, I think you guys are all worried over nothing. Even if this clown did get elected, do you really think anything would change? Just because he has a "plan to decrease property taxes..." doesn't mean anything. Did you guys know that I have a "plan for world peace?" Haha...see what I mean? I'm not worred about my job. NYC taken over by vollies? I can see it now: "Yo homie, I'z gonna bees me a firemans. Then I could turn on the pump anytime, G." (Note to my bretheren NOT in the GHETTO: "turning on the pump" means opening a hydrant.) For some reason, the fine citizenry of the five boroughs (read: lazy mutts) love to run around like animals in the street with the hydrant open full bore. I don't understand the attraction, but believe me it's there. Oh, yes, we put sprinkler caps on them, but they get taken off as soon as we turn the block. Our "customers" (remember that word?!?) don't care if we have no water to put a fire out down the street, they want the pump open, goddamit!

Forum Member

Satire only.....
    -------------

Golisano Smoking Compound

Serves 10 (if you're not greedy)

Ingredients

1 lb. Clinton cannabis, finely ground
    1 lb. dried Hallucinarificus mushrooms
    1 qt. grizzly bear ****
    1 cup correction fluid

Mix cannabis and mushrooms in large bong. Er, bowl. Well, heck, go ahead and put it in the bong. (Dude, don't touch the keyboard, I'm typing! )

Huh-huh, where was I? Knock it off , dude! Quit trying to type on my compuHEY WHAT'S UP PARTY DUDES IT'S ME BILLY!

Quit, dude! Huh-huh, let me type this recipHEY DUDES, I WORK IN HARLEM NOW! MY OLD LADY IS IN WASHINGTON! I PARTY ALL THE TIME! COME OVER!

Stop it, dude! I gotta finish thI GOT LOTS MORE OF THIS CRAP WHERE THAT CAME FROM! ME AND WILLIE NELSON WERE TOKING YESTERDAY! I'M ON THE ROAD AGAIN! HUH-HUH! HE PLAYED MY SEXYPHONE, ER, SAXOMAPHONE!

Um, just like, mix everything up and smoke it.BYE PARTY DUDES! I WAS SERIOUS ABOUT YOU COMING BY! MONICA LIVES RIGHT UP THE STREET!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

I have been a volunteer for a few years and all I can say is good luck. If I was volunteering with that kind of call volume I would starve. My opinion is that there is a place for volunteers and a place for the paid guys. Anything with more than a working fire a day is too busy for volunteers. That is why the paid guys are there is too keep the volunteers from starving.

Be SAFE
    D308

Thread Information