Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rescue boats

Question rescue boats

has any one got any thing to say about the Rescue One Boats
    like to hear from you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

we have a couple here in montgomery co. and every one seems to love them they are very versitile, light wieght, easy to manover in swift water due to they are a flat bottom boat with a 40 horse turbo style prop so you dont have to worry about loosing your prop during flood conditions, when you have a lot of trash and debrie floating in the water.

We dont use them, but I have heard great things about them. I dont recall reading any bad reviews of anykind about them.
    Wes Kirkpatrick
    Amory Fire Dept.
    Firefighter

Cool Rescue One Boats

Would that be Rescue One Connector Boats?
    That being the case, it is my personal opinion that these are good boats for departments with low budgets. The advantages of the Connector boat are that the vessel is inexpensive, lightweight, flat bottomed (good for shallow water operation), relatively stable for a jon boat and multiple boats can be lashed together side-by-side and end-to-end.
    The disadvantages of the Connector boat are that they have a 1300 lbs. maximum carrying capacity, have a maximum 40 HP engine rating, they are a flat bottom jon boat which is unsuitable for any rough water operation and they are designed to be powered by a submerged prop. The submerged prop motor is unsuitable for flood rescue operations due to the prop and engine cooling system being subjected to underwater debris. Also, when the vessel encounters water depths shallower than the length of the lower unit the motor must be raised and the boat either polled or pulled. In addition, deployment of the vessel requires a launch site. If no suitable launch is available, deployment of the vessel is very labor intense.
    Ideally, a good vessel for rescue operations is one that requires no established launch site for deployment, has sufficient carrying capacity to deliver rescue personnel and remove evacuees without subjecting them to the elements and the contaminents contained in flood waters, has sufficient horsepower to execute rescue missions in an expediate manner, is flat bottomed and has a non-submerged (above water) propulsion system that is not hampered by submerged debris and is stable in torrent water.
    Yes, such a vessel exists and if you are interested in learning more about it feel free to contact me or attend the Texas EMS Conference in Austin.

Exclamation

H2o:
    You are wrong about this boat being a prop job most of the ones that I have seen in the Houston area are jets and run very well in swift and or shallow water 4" to 5" drag better check your info be for you go and say things. They also have a new 60hp engine with a jet prop. They also run very well in swift water they stay on top unlike a v hull that can be pushed around in very swift water.

Cool

Wow! Sounds like an awsome boat that will work everywhere for everyone. I'll bet it slices, dices, chopps and can be yours for $19.99.
    I guess that you just can't beleive anything that a manufacturer tells you. Also, it just goes to show you that even when you have owned and operated watercraft for over 30 years, are a boat captain and a safe boating instructor you can learn something new.
    Thank you for correcting me on this matter. I guess that I will have to go back and repeat boating school 101.
    Last edited by H2oAirRsQ; 10-29-2002 at 07:41 AM.

B-Post what part of Houston are you from? What Dept has one of these boats. I haven't scene one on the North side and Houston Doesnt run any>

Thanks

Andy

The Woodlands
    and yes ther are 5 boats on the north side for you to see if you would like to TimberLakes,Eastex,Northeast,R iver Plantation,and Montgomery Co SAR along with boats at Highlands, Jersy Village , Dear Park and many others.

B-Post thanks for the reply. I have worked with Spring, Klein, Cy-Fair, Tomball, and Ponderosa during flood evac (Allison) and have not scene this brand of boat. I will make a point to check em out.

Thanks

Andy

Thread Information