Forum Member

Default United States under the orange "High Level" of risk

Press conference by Homeland Security Director, Tom Ridge at 13:00 hrs. 9/10/02.

How does this impact your department? Are there changes to your routine?
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

That's a secret.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

MembersZone Subscriber

Hehe...

Nope, doesn't affect my department's operations.

Not really much to terrorize out where I live. Guess you could blow up a bridge or two, but in all likihood they need to be replaced anyway, so it would just speed things up...HEY! You think maybe them dirty terrorists are the ones bustin' up my mailbox every other weekend?!!

In all seriousness, I think the whole "Terror Threat" system is pretty much useless, as far as a national threat level goes. It needs to be broken up into smaller regions (like states or portions of states) or used for specific types of threats (truck bomb, dams, etc). Saying "We think that there's a pretty good chance that something might happen somewhere involving something" is so vague it borders on laughable.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Fill your mailbox with cement. Boy will the be surprised the next time they try and bash it.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Forum Member

Hey Silver City... maybe the baseball bat used on your mailbox can be considered a weapon of mass destruction (several boxes on the road), and you could get some funding to prepare against it (steel plate mailboxes).

Seriously though, I'll pray for the guys in the big cities that they keep their heads on a swivel and get home safe from whatever may come, hopefully nothing.
    Frank

P.S. I like your "unofficial" website
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Forum Member

Originally posted by Silver City 4
    Hehe...

Nope, doesn't affect my department's
    In all seriousness, I think the whole "Terror Threat" system is pretty much useless, as far as a national threat level goes. It needs to be broken up into smaller regions (like states or portions of states) or used for specific types of threats (truck bomb, dams, etc). Saying "We think that there's a pretty good chance that something might happen somewhere involving something" is so vague it borders on laughable.
    This makes good sense.

E6511

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, Frank.

Cement, huh? (giggles) You could make a mailbox full of cement and trade it out on the weekend nights. Sadly, I'm really thinking about it...

My brother and I had a plan to catch our little mailbox bashers. We had a plan to sit across the road in the woods (about 30 feet from the mailboxes) on Friday nights. The plan involved beer, a digital camera, and paintball guns. Fortunately (or unfortunatly I guess) that plan never materialized.

As for the terrorists, sucker-punching us in the gut again will only cause us to be that much more determined to wipe them off the face of the planet. Hide and watch.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Originally posted by Silver City 4

Silver city,

I think this is more of a media reporting problem. From what I gathered watching the news today. The agencies that get this "upgarde" act accordingly, notifing and providing information to Agencies, States and Departments as needed. We, the general public, are not really affected by this upgrade. Of course since the media has to report every time the Vice President does number 1 or number 2, we end up finding this information out, even though there is no particular reason for us to. It similar to them reporting that certain Military units are now set to condition Delta. To us it means little, to them(Military) it means wartime footing, lock and loaded. full battle dress.

Dave

Forum Member

Lightbulb hehe...

Fill your mailbox with cement. Boy will the be surprised the next time they try and bash it.

You could also fill it with bricks. After they have received their surprise, You can still use the box to receive mail...Might have to bang out the dent...there will probably only be one!!

Stay safe,

Jim

Forum Member

Dear terrorists:

Bring it.

Sincerely,
    America
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Lightbulb hehe...

You could also fill it with bricks. After they have received their surprise, You can still use the box to receive mail...Might have to bang out the dent...there will probably only be one!!

Stay safe,

Jim

Forum Member

AVF&R452 Deja vu all over again??

E6511

MembersZone Subscriber

Default nope

Doesn't change much for us here either; in fact, it changes absolutely nothing. Sometimes I think most of the brass has their heads so far up their *#$@# they don't even know what's up in the world . Anyway, everyone keep it safe tomorrow and let's pay our respects as best we can.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

HNFC FF/President

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    Dear terrorists:

Bring it.

Sincerely,
    America

Amen to that EastKyFF, my small little South Jersey Fire Company is ready just incase something does happen to a surrounding city like Philadelphia or NYC (which i hope doesn't happen) We're not going to do anything different, the only thing is that everyone is taking off from work (wish i could do that, i have to go to school ) But my dad said that he would pull me out of school if something did happen. So we have almost the whole Fire Company available for 9/11.

"Don't Tread on Me because i'll kick you @$$ Al-Quida (or however you spell it)"
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

nothing really changes for us here either and we have Bush's Ranch in our county. heck, i had to look up on internet what the orange meant? we're still doing the same thing today, tomorrow that we did last week and yesterday.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

HNFC FF/President

yeah, not much else that can be done. If something happens on the 11th and were needed, we'll go and do what were suppose to do. And if nothing happens or were not needed, we'll just go about our business.

Right now, our main concern is Our town. Protecting the Citizens of Hi-Nella, New Jersey. But we will help any1 in need, if needed. *

* My Statement only, does not represent what individual members might be thinking also
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

AVF&R452 Deja vu all over again??
    Sure would like to know how THAT happened!?

MembersZone Subscriber

I wonder if it was like this on December 6th, 1942?
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

IACOJ BOD

Whatever happens or doesn't. Morons will still crash their cars, and burn their houses.

So all of you, Stay Safe.

Kia Kaha
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

District Chief

Default Alert or not....

Since last year our operations have all been impacted even if ever so slightly.

Alert or not we are all on pins and needles and the caution flag is out.

I don't know about others...but as the time draws closer...I get more on edge. I just got a funny feeling in my belly about all this... Soemthing just does not feel right...

No matter where you all are tomorrow and what ever you are doing...please be careful.

God Bless
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I wonder if it was like this on December 6th, 1942

December '42 was an interesting month. It was a bit quieter than other months, and during it all sides would have had to concede the outcome was "doubtful" for their side.

Hindsight being 20/20, it was probably the high-water mark of the Axis powers -- the Allies had driven the Axis to a stop at Guadacanal, in North Africa, and in Russia. But Guadacanal would not be won until January, North Africa until May, and the Germans were just starting to realize they had been flanked in Russia not by the Army but by the weather, and they were now caught between the bitter Russian winter and Russian Army.

I have a feeling we haven't quite reached that mark yet. At the risk of sounding rather hawkish, a nice large base of operations (oh, say 169,000 square miles with substantial oil reserves) from which we could knock together the heads of Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Iran to let them know this crap just won't be tolerated anymore would not be a bad option.

We didn't want to be the world's policeman. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

It doesn't change much for us either, and I have to agree with my good friend Silver as far as how it works. All it does is put it in the front of your mind again, instead of the middle. We have several "high risk" potential targets in my area and just outside.
    I also was rather conflicted with why they elevated the risk level anyway. Its the homeland security 'terror threat' system, but everyo other word out of the Mr. Ashcroft and Mr. Ridge's mouths, were overseas, overseas, overseas. Silver, you should be appointed the IACOJ's Administer of Homeland Defense. The only thing I do understand is why the military hasn't upped their level of threat. They do not want to give any indications that they are beefing up anything they are doing to mimic a possible attack on Iraq. It is a common tactic to 'not to do' something that other intelligence agencies will pick up on. The former soviet union saw it as a direct insult when the military threat level was increased when President Reagan was shot, and ever since then the Defense Secetaries and Joint Chiefs have been extremely careful in regards to changing DEFCON, and threat levels.

Thread Information