Administrator

Default Post Questions For Firehouse.com Usfa Interview

Firehouse.com's News Team will be meeting with FEMA representatives at FEMA headquarters in Washington later this week to get some more in-depth information about the process.

If you have specific questions you'd like to know, please post them here, and we will consider asking them along with the many we already have from the Forums.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Default FEMA Questions

Please ask them why they ask for you to fill out a direct deposit form and take it to the bank and have them sign it then to just tell you all they are doing is collecting information on your department. And also why they call with the 5 questions then tell you it doesn't mean you are getting anything. These things can really work up a small department into a frenzy just to have them kick you in the gut and tell you that you didnt get the grant later on. Would make more sense to me to have them ask you the 5 questions then at the end of the phone call tell you you are an award reciepent. And to ask you you to complete some more information on the web site and tell you what it means before you have to call them and ask. Just my 4 cents worth on saving a bunch of axiety out here in rural america.
    Be Safe

Default Question

First of all let me say thank's to the webteam for listening to our grip's and questions. You all have done a great job of addressing issue's that are brought up here in the forums with FEMA and that can only searve to help this grant program become better as it grows in the future.

My question is about the "Dear John Letters". So far they have announced that about 7,500 letters were sent out. That left almost 11,000 applicant's(minus winners)still wondering. Will there be another round of letters sent out, before the long wait until the end of the process. I understand that they are reviewing the application after every round and that some may not know until their name is not the list for the last round. I would think that they could at least notify everyone that didn't make the "Peer Review"
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Forum Member

Compliments to the web team, for the {ONLY} information site on the Fire Acts grant. My question is how many and what geographic areas is the country divided in for the evaluation process. And how many evaluators are in each area?
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Thank you, web team, for such great information and coverage on this.

My question is in regards to the first round of eliminations. I am curious to how these grant requests were eliminated. Were the narratives ever read or did they get declined due to ommissions or discrepanciencies in the app itself. Perhaps they didn't answer the app questions as favorably as some of the others. Also, how much eliminating was done by computer?

I also think it would be interesting to know if when they are asking people the 5 questions if any of the departments no longer have the matching funds or no longer qualify for the grant.

I too would like to know when the next Dear John letters will come.

Thanks again

Forum Member

Question 5 questions & 1199

I was wondering why some depts never heard anything from FEMA until they seen there name on the anouncement list to recieve a grant. Yet others are recieving the 5 questions and 1199 form.

Huck

Forum Member

Default Question

First of all, thank you Webteam for this opportunity.

My question is in regards to continued grant funding. What work is currently under way in an effort to ensure that the Fire Act will continue to be funded to aid needy departments in the years to come?

Thanks again.
    SFPD

Webteam - thanks a bunch for the support on the grant and the opportunity to ask FEMA officials about the process.

My question is this: There are a number of departments "on the bubble" in regards to this years funding. If a department received a grant for - say a firefighting vehicle - and negotiated a price to a point that they had additional funds left over after equipping that vehicle - could those funds then be turned back to FEMA to assist other departments without a penalty in this round or future grants.

Again, thanks for the opportunity.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for making the space available for a dialog about the grants and to the webteam for providing a continuing source of reliable information.
    Like LB101 my question is about the first round of DEAR JOHNS. My understanding is that the first round was eliminated by the computer and the narratives were never read .... is this correct? If so, how were they able to determine need? What was the formula the computer used to eliminate or rank applications?
    BB

Question

First, I join every other member of the Fire/EMS community active on these forums for the job that you are doing webteam, to try and find at least a few answers for a very confused population. With so many of us new to buracracy, your service is really invaluable. I have two questions, one that has been widely asked and a new one, I think.

I would like to no what no contact from FEMA is supposed to mean exactly at this stage. I hve not been rejected, but nor have I been given the 5 questions and the 1199. Nor have I read or heard anything else.

The other question draws the political battleground in, which I would think as journalists you would need to. The question is would it be possible for FEMA to specify to departments that get rejected late in the game if they would have been approved had the additional 150 million not been eliminated. I know that if I were to be rejected and able to say that, the political pressure would immediately multiply.

Thank you webteam again for the work that you have done in relation to the ongoing Fire ACT grant soap-opera.

Permanently Removed

As I understand it, the first round was scored by a computer. Are the requests then reviewed in descending order as a result of the grading. That is, does the best score get read first, followed bt the second best score, and so on. If this is the case, Why is it not possible to publish the results of the computer grading showing each department where they ranked in the first phase?

IACOJ Agitator

Trying to be general here...

Say you put in the grant that you want X number of items at a cost of Z. You go out to bid and are you find that for Z you can afford to get more than X number of that item.

Can you purchase a higher quantity of items for the same price you specified in the grant, or can you only get that number of items?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know if it is too late or not but here goes:
    1 - Can the primary scoring guidelines be more clearly defined. I know that a statement like "if your newest truck is not older than 1960, don't even try" may not be possible, but anything to clear up what will qualify and what won't would be a great help.
    2 - Is having two old trucks falling apart given the same score as having one old truck falling apart? Are we scoring lower because we have managed to piece together older equipment we have obtained. If this is true, the lesson is to get rid of one of the trucks.

Please keep up the good job of keeping things easy to simple. Only by keeping the application and rules simple will departments like mine be able to compete.

Thank you webteam !
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Fire Chief - Hardin FPD
    Hardin, MO

Administrator

Thanks everyone.

FEMA answered many questions today and we'll be featuring the answers in a story that will run likely next Wednesday.

The good news is two rounds of funding are being announced in the next two weeks, a total of over $50 million at least and somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 departments.

Stay tuned to the main page for more details. Round 5 will go up Monday morning.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thread Information