MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Lessons learned as a kid

Just curious how you were taught lessons growing up. It seems like parents always seem to have a unique way of teaching their children. Having kids of my own, it makes my laugh......NOW!!!

I had a go-cart as a kid, one day my dad told me to put my finger on the top of the spark plug while he pulled the rope to start the engine........ you know the outcome

Same go cart 5 min later.. we took the muffler off and replaced it with a chrome extension pipe used for shower heads, it created a "MEAN" sounding little engine. Dad informed me it was hot then told me to grab the pipe.....it wasn't hot, it was DAMN HOT

Testing a light socket in the kitchen dad told me to hold his hand as he put his finger into the socket......buzzzzzzzzz

TODAY: I'm deathly afraid of electricity.... wonder why?

I'll have more to add later, as the trauma seems to be never ending
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ===================================

We all have stories like that. I think that is the reason we run toward the burning buildings, a mental malfunction created in childhood.
    Don't talk unless it improves the silence.

Life without danger is a waste of oxygen.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

My favourite story actually isn't from Mom or Dad, but from high school.

In the Auto shop we had an 6 cyl aircraft magneto, with the leads still attched. And of course, it being a full fledged shop, the tables were built of the finest ferrous metals, and being fabulous conductors of electricity...

Attaching an air ratchet to the business end of the mag, and giving it a crank or 6, creates a wonderful current flow through the leads. When you touch any one of them to the table, anyone leaning on the table is going to get a good shock. Of course the smart thing is to have a buddy at the table who knows what is going on, so that he can "reach out and touch" the person at the next table, so everyone gets to share the experience.

Of course I never did that.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

IACOJ BOD

My Father retired from the New Zealand Police after 29 years service. He is a heck of a guy and a great mate.

He always taught us this story.

When he got married he did not have enough money for a car, so his parents let him borrow their horse and cart to take his new wife on her honeymoon.

As they were going down the road a rabbit shot out in front of the horse, which promptly bolted. After some distance he got the horse under control, climbed off the cart, went and stood in front of the horse and said "Thats once."

A few miles down the road, the horse bolted again from another rabbit. Regaining control he went up to the horse and said "Thats Twice."

The third time it happened, he got the horse under control, went around to the horse, and shot it dead in the traps.

His new wife started shouting and crying, he turned to her and said "Thats once."

I have used this story myself in the military and Fire Service when people start fouling up. It is a great way to get their attention, all you need to do is say

"Thats once, by the way did I tell you that story?"
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

When I was somewhere between the ages of 5 and 7 my friends mom would babysit me after school, so one day when we got home she was waxing the floor. So my friend and I sat down near the kitchen table to watch. Her mom looked at us and said, "girls, I'm going to show you why you NEVER smoke or light matches when waxing the floor". She told us to get under the table, which we did, watching her very closely hehehe. All of a sudden there was this huge WHOOOOOOOOOOSH, hot air blew past us and our faces were blackened, her mom had lit a match and thrown it into the wax, or fumes caused it or something, I'm not sure what but that was DAMN SCARY !!! Needless to say, I personally see no reason to wax my floors hehehe.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Arrow Don't do it!!!!!

Never, ever......Pee on an electric fence!

Don't ask......

Jim

Forum Member

Don't pour the lawnmower gas on the grill to help Dad get the coals burning better!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Talking AVF&R.....

don't admit to watching cartoons in public!!! (Ren and Stimpy i believe....)
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

UAF

1) Don't make the first paragraph you write in 1st Grade read as follows:
    "I like school.
    School is fun.
    School makes me SICK."

(1st Grade teachers don't care much for sarcasm.)

2) Don't attempt to console male dogs who have just been neutered.

3) Have at least two, if not three, nine to ten pound babies without anesthesia. Even better, tell folks the last one delivered in 20 minutes, start to finish. You go straight to the head of the class in any female-bonding-story-sharing situation.

4) GI Joes and hotmelt glue guns are a flammable combination.

5) Be nice. Then they'll never believe YOU did it.

Forum Member

Actually,

I pre-date Ren and Stimpy by quite a few years.....

Jim

UAF

Quote from Kristen: "Not if you're a man! Then you go straight to a padded cell with a nice new jacket."

If you're a man, you should have the sense to be out in the garage or on the deck barbequing-- not in the kitchen with the women!

Looking for the Penguin that stole my beer.

Lightbulb my lessons

1) Never buy an electric lawn mower (Dad wanted to save the enviorment), you know the Black and Decker with a 60 feet of extention cord... use your imagination.

2) Making parachutes (for second floor window air drops) out of plastic grocery bags work well for GI Joes, not hampsters.

3) Sleding off a snow covered roof will break your friend's arm.

4) When a person says: "Trust me, the limb will hold", let him swing from the rope first.

5) A sprained wrist will heal after a month, after 6 months it might be broken.

6) If you were dumb enough to force your head through the bars in the railing at the luch line, then you deserve to get kicked in the butt by your friends before the luch ladies can save you.

There is so much more... but better stop while I have SOME self respect.

Be Safe all, Drew
    ---NO RETREAT... NO SURRENDER---

______Look Ma'... No Hands______

Talking what i learned was......

Never to trust a penguin....
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Never wash outlet covers with a really wet rag.

Never put used car oil in empty laundry soap bottles unless you're taking them RIGHT to the recycling center. (Oh,$#*&!)

Never lock your keys in a running vehicle and assume that the doors will still open with the remote. (Who can give me a quick ride home?)

Never leave a 750,000 watt spotlight plugged into your cigarette lighter, laying facedown on the seat overnight. (Do I smell smoke?)

Never assume you know exactly where you are when driving in heavy fog. (Geronimoooo owwwww!)

Never pull a live chipmunk's tail to remove it from a crack in the shed wall. (Hey, I can make a little Davy Crockett hat out of this!)

Never wear a short skirt with no underwear on a windy day. (Do I feel a breeze?)

Forum Member

Do not construct a zip line from third floor stairs to ground level trees with .05" weedeater line! Unless the friend who's idea it was volunteers to go first.
    One of the first lessons my father taught me after joining the fire department was on a side hill grass fire. I'd been busting my butt and making little progress. I began to blow chunks and feel REALLY bad! He took behind his truck, held my head and related the story of the old bull and the young bull and the pasture full of good looking cows a ways away from them. Lesson I've never forgotten when it comes to firefighting...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Talking More humor?

"A little boy needed $100.00 very badly and his mother told him to pray to God for it. He prayed and prayed for two weeks, but nothing turned up. Then he decided to write God a letter requesting the $100.00. When the postal authorities received the letter addressed to God, they opened it and decided to forward the letter to the President.
    The President was so impressed, touched and amused that he instructed his secretary to send the little boy a check for $5.00. He thought this would appear to be a lot of money to a little boy. The little boy was delighted with the $5.00 and sat down to write a thank-you letter to God, which read as follows:
    Dear God,
    Thank You very much for sending me the money. I noticed that you had to send it through Washington, as usual, those bastards deducted $95.00."

A father and son went fishing one day. While they were out in the boat, the boy suddenly became curious about the world around him. He asked his father, "How does this boat float?
    The father replied, "Don't right know son."
    A little later, the boy looked at his father and asked, "How do fish breath underwater?"
    Once again the father replied, "Don't right know son."
    A little later the boy asked his father, "Why is the sky blue?"
    Again, the father repied. "Don't right know son."
    Finally, the boy asked his father, "Dad, do you mind my asking you all of these questions?"
    The father repied, "Of course not, you don't ask questions, you never learn nothin'."
    Don't talk unless it improves the silence.

Life without danger is a waste of oxygen.

Forum Member

My personal favourite, and to be passed onto my beloved daughter "come the time"...

If you are going to drink in a bar underage, make sure its not the same one your old man uses... (He even brought that up 12 years later at my wedding).
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Never "ArmorAll" the vinal seats, steering wheel, brake and gas pedals, and floor of an ambulance.

mumble, !@#$%^ rookies nearly killed me
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

You know I do respect electricity now. Especially after trying to plug in a light after getting out of the shower and not drying off first. ouch. Maybe thats what happend to me
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by drkblram
    halligan, I had a heads up on that one. I was given the task of cleaning the cab for the state convention. then I remembered the chief say (he is a big guy) "They armoralled the seats one time, and then we had a run, well this car cuts us off, and I go sliding forward, and my knee destroyed the radio unit" obviously this happened before the days of seatbelts. so I was smart enough to leave the seats alone, other than a damn cloth wipe down.
    Well my partner and I were wearing our seat belts and my knees still bit the dash. My partner, all 115lbs., went right under the belt and landed on the floor of the rig. All this occured after I almost broke my neck climbing into the ambulance, the rookie armor alled the floor of the truck then placed the floor mats back in. He also did the back end of the truck (so much for non-skid floors )

Man I laided into him with a few choice words. But I apoligized later and explained to him the flaws of his theory.
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Default Never answer a classified ad that reads:

For Sale - Parachute
    Like new. Never opened. Small stain. Call 555-3476.
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

Sr. Information Officer

How I learned to respect fire!

The year, 1959. I was 7 years old. Second grade as I recall. What a wonderful time for a kid. You were still allowed to burn leaves in the backyard. Mom and Dad had finished raking the dried fragments and stuffed them into an old metal garbage can. One match and WHOOOOOF....a blazing inferno inside the can. Oh...what a wonderful smell, drifting through the neighborhoods.

Yep...that baby burned for hours and hours.

Then I got this bright idea. Don't know why...I guess common sense hadn't become part of my cranial functions yet. Okay...lets pick up this ol' barrel and move it back to the side yard.

One hand here..the other there....and LIFT! OH...HOT..HHHHHHOT...RED HOT!!!

No gloves, no fear, no brains. I picked that sucker up for about three seconds before the pain set in ...and SEARED into my brain!

The result? Second degree burns, blistered my palms...peeled off some skin. Wound up at the Doctor's office...bandaged every square inch of my hands. I learned...very fast, a respect of fire...that is with me til this day!

The only good thing was that I couldn't possibly write...or even hold things in my hands. School was a breeze for a few weeks!!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information