Thread: Bus training

Question Bus training

I am looking for some information on setting up a multi dept training exercise. We have been given two buses (1980 Orion 42 passenger)and right now we are playing with one. I would like to include other dept on the second bus as hands-on training with buses is quite rare. We are a rescue squad and I would be looking at including one or possible two volunteer fire depts with extrication capabilities as well as other dept without extrication capabilities. I was also think of asking the RCMP, BC Ambulance service and a towing company to attend.

I haven't thought of any specific senarios as of yet, I`m just looking for anyone's thoughts who may have put on something like this before. I would like to set it up as real call where the responding depts don't know it is an exercise until they arrive on scene, we have done one like that in the past and had a local high school drama class be our patients, complete with make-up and everything.

Any input would be appriciated.

Shane

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

there is a training drill you can download from the training zone at http://www.firehouse.com/training/drills/2000/cp2.html

i'm sure it could be modified to include a bus or two.

good luck, hope this helps somewhat
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

FIGJAM

Hey Nutty, going by what I've read in the last few months, you should contact Rescue101 and billy and get them up there for a BRR session!

I'm sure they could tailor a course around the bus...
    Luke

Forum Member

Busses make great training and are one of the featured events in Big Rig Rescue.We have had quite a few car/lt. truck vs bus accidents.Might be you should E-mail Billy,he provides a first rate training utilizing ALL the agencies you mentioned.T.C.

That could definetly be an option, my only concern would be the cost as we are a volunteer society which raises our monies privately. Cost is an optionfor us. Last summer (i think it was last summer) we sent three guys down to Kentuky for a heavy rig rescue course and it cost around seven thousand dollars. I would definetly like to talk to Billy, possibly I can get PM so I can more details.

Thanks
    Shane

Forum Member

I'd give Billy a E-mail,I think he could put on a program for around 30-40 responders at a reasonable cost.It's his program,so the only way you'll know is inquire.I CAN tell you it is a very good learning experience.T.C.

Thread Information