Default Holmatro? Hurst? or Amkus?

Just curious...which do prefer Holmatro?, Hurst? or Amkus? And why?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default this will be an interesting thread after a couple of days...

well, since my department doesn't have jaws yet, i like which ever set gets there first.

but of all the ones i have used i do like amkus.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

FIGJAM

Hey Engine21, shouldn't the title of this post say, "Holmatro, who and who?"!!!!

There is no other brand worth mentioning, other than Holmatro!

Now this thread is sure to stir the pot with a few people....!
    Luke

Forum Member

Talking Stir the pot?

Stir the pot?You Luke?I find this hard to believe!They are all good tools but I'll cast my vote for Holmatro as well.My prejudice is based on product familiarity and reliability.We've had a set for a long time and they've always done as we asked with no downtime.T.C.

dazed and confused

Default "Fighting for lives, We're in it together."™

I know hurst was big a few decades ago.

What's a holmatro?

The World´s Most Advanced Rescue Systems

AMKUS

Tough tools, not back-breakers (why do holmatro tools seem so darn heavy?)... an overall quality product that will not let you down. We used Lukas tools prior to switching to Amkus 5ish years ago. From my experiences with all of these tools, I'll take the Amkus systems any day. I like the controllers, how the tools are designed, and I most of all like the Ultimate system.

The Westerbeke/XRT unit is also kind of neat.

Supposedly TNT has a pump out that will kick the Amkus Ultimate System's *****... I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by Resq14; 09-13-2002 at 01:22 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used Hurst, Amkus, Lukas, and Holmatro, pneumatic tools, K-12 and several others over the last 20 years. Right now I prefer Amkus. I had some power issues with our Holmatro tools a while back and have not been merciful enough to prefer it since. There is however a lot of simplicity in their tools, as well as their light weight technology. I need another good experience (perhaps in another TERC competition) with Holmatro in order to be pulled in to the holmatro fold again.

JW
    Last edited by NB87JW; 09-13-2002 at 01:41 AM.
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

FIGJAM

(why do holmatro tools seem so darn heavy?)
    Hey Resq14, you must be having a lend of us! Holmatro heavy- I don't think so! You must be mixed up with Hurst!!!!
    Luke

Ok, I need to come clean. I am a Holmatro fan as well. I just wanted to see where everyone was on the map, so to speak. The tools are high quality, light, and the company is outstanding to work with.

Just my two cents.

Warning
    Danger

Facts & Figures About to be Introduced...

Amkus 30CX Spread: 32" Weight: 47.5#
    Hurst ML-32 Spread: 32" Weight: 52#
    Holmatro 3230 Spread: 33-3/8" Weight: 45#

Most of the tools are competetive when you compare apples-to-apples (or as close to that as possible) for spread and force. Hurst will always tend to weigh more, since they use low pressure (5000psi) and subsequently a little more bulk in their tools from using bigger pistons/hydraulics with more surface area to achieve the same forces (remember, pounds per square inch) as high pressure tools running at 10,000psi.

We're a Hurst department, can't justify the cost of junking our existing Hurst equipment to switch to a new company. Holmatro however I've cross-trained on with a neighboring department, and they'd be very competetive if we sat down and did a complete comparison to buy an all new system.

dazed and confused

oh my.

I said, "why do they seem so heavy" not "Amkus is the lightest tool ever made." I don't know if it is the way the tool is balanced or what, but imho, holmatro tools "feel" heavy. Maybe I was using an older model tool (I think it was relatively new though)

I was well aware of the weights... but it was nice to read them again anyhow.

These questions always get me.

"What's your favorite..."
    "Which do you prefer..."
    "Who makes the best..."

I like stirring the pot as much as the next guy, but there are always people that take it a little too seriously. New Scott Aviation SCBAs make you a Scott fan. New Pierces? Pierce fans. We're all biased here. Those who have been able to truly use the greatest variety of tools have more to draw on than those who have exposure to only 1 system (or none) in forming their opinion. Each manufacturer has its pros and its cons, ranging from performance, reliability, and construction down to service after the sale. You pick what you feel matches your identified needs and go from there.

The better question is, "What would you look for in a HRT system designed to operate X tools on Y trucks in Z department for $ dollars.

You want a spreader that will open while under a full load in 2 seconds? Write it into your spec. I'm not saying a manufacturer will be able to deliver on it, but you get the idea.

Then match your needs with the manufacturer who can deliver on them. If what you get fails to perform as spec'd, promised and/or advertised, then that is a different issue entirely.

All HRT systems work. The challenge is finding the one that will work best for YOU. Define your needs, then bounce them off the people here.
    Last edited by Resq14; 09-13-2002 at 12:55 PM.

Forum Member

Who's prejudiced?Mwah?My other dept has Amkus,can't sell me.Familiarity is what works with your tools.Those Westerbeke's are sweet though.T.C.

Smile

I still stand behind the Hurst rescue tools. I have used the others but yes I still remember the old 32-A Jaws and used them a lot. Die hard Hurst tool user I guess. the air lifting bags are great too!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

i am sorry you have it all wrong TNT is the only choice!

Thumbs up

For safety, durability and performance I choose Hurst. The others are just wana bees.

IACOJ Agitator

We have two sets of Amkus tools in service (actually, I think the older set might be Lukus...but that's the same thing, different company). We're going to have a third set in service in a month or so.

I've used Hurst, Holmatro, Amkus, and Lukus. I prefer the Amkus tools. I did like the Holmatro but at the end of my advanced vehicle extrication course, the cutters were completely dinged up. Of course, after I got home stupid me realized I forgot to take a picture of that.

I still like the Holmatro though, but I like Amkus better.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Thumbs up

I have used Hurst, Amkus, Phoenix, Lukas, TNT, and some even oldie but goodies, overall I like Holmatro for dependability, weight, strength, Service and it is a US made tool. User preference has to be a factor, try them all then decide... :cool:
    "Trust in Traing, Faith in God"
    "09-11-01 I Serve today for the living,I serve tomorrow for those who Died..."

Forum Member

Never had my "orange"tool bog down.'Course I use dedicated tools with a dedicated pump not a combi but for power I'll go against your TNT any day.I've run TNT's,find them to be a very nice tool.But I have yet to find any reason to abandon my faithful Holmatro set.I've yet to find a spreader that has as much power start to finish as my good old orange tool.Yeah, my tools heavy,Holmatro doesn't make one bigger.But if you want in,you'll get in!Our company does heavy Rescue A-Z and opening any vehicle we've ever come across has never been a problem.Bogged down,NEVER,smooth performance start to finish.I don't think there are many "bad"HRTs from the major players,but I'm not sure I'd say the same about the operators and salesmen.Use what you are comfortable with,but in competition there doesn't seem to be a consistent winner,varies year to year.Indicates to me that tools are evolving just like the people who run them.T.C.

kirbyjr,

Before you start pointing fingers, you should check up on your history. Where did TNT get the ideas for their spreader and cutter? You weren't a distributor for TNT yet in 1995 but if you go back to 1995, you'll see that their patterns for the TNT spreader and cutter match what Lukas already had on the market as the LSP40B spreader and the LS300C cutter. Better get your facts straight before making accusations.

Forum Member

Phoenix all the way!
    Last edited by HF&R_H28; 09-16-2002 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member

Phoenix - The true rescue tools! Zero to 60" in 3 tools!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

dazed and confused

Lightbulb

Originally posted by drkblram
    they SEEMED heavier
    Warning... Danger... Caution...

Where's the Facts and Figures Police when you need 'em?

KIDDING

Like I said, just because it weighs a certain number doesn't mean it FEELS heavier/lighter when you hold it in its intended manner.

FIGJAM

just because it weighs a certain number doesn't mean it FEELS heavier/lighter when you hold it in its intended manner.
    Is there an intended manner to hold a rescue tool?

The tool should feel comfortable, balanced and easily operable in any position because that's the nature of rescue- we don't know how they're going to be used next!
    Luke

Question San Antonio change over?

Hey Kirbyjr,
    You mentioned that after eight years of Holmatro usage, that city went over to another brand.
    You posed the question & i believe suggest that Holmatro are are no longer an acceptable comparison to the new purchase that city made.

Do you know the particulars of the deal that was struck? Was there a service contract for the city thrown in? Was the new gear discounted so much that the city couldnt (in thier right minds) say no.

Where im going is that some company's will do just about anything to gain a foot hold in the "international market place" and gaining a lucritive account such as an entire city's supply, is a feather in thier cap no question of that.

The big orange H has been around for many, many years as has Hurst and Lucas. All three has a very established market position in "Planet America" and on the international market.

All three offer excellent after sales service and i believe an inovative approach to thier own R&D which at the end of the day benifits all rescue workers and patient's world wide.

In case you haven't picked up on it i am a Holmatro operator and have been since 1988. These HRT have stepped up to the line and met every challenge we have presented them too in the last 25 years my squad has been using this brand.( im not saying that our gear is 25 years old either):-)

In closing
    for my money, if i was to spend $500,000.00 - $100,000.00 on hydraulic rescue gear, i would want to know, that the manufacturing company was still going to be there in 10/20/30 years time. Still doing thier R&D, Still providing there excellent after sales service etc, etc.

Also as a point of note on the odd occasion that a part of our gear has had to go "Back to Base" for an over haul or whatever. Holmatro Australia has always gone out of thier way to loan us a set of gear or ram, spreaders, shears, pump, whatever until our owned gear is back in operation.

No i do not work for Holmatro, Yes i do excellent service and it's a pleasure to use thier product and to deal with them.

"Never forget that your safety comes before that of the people that you ar attempting to rescue"
    Mr.Rhys Mags - Director
    Victoria State Emergency Service

Forum Member

Podman,1 word.Amen!T.C.

dazed and confused

Originally posted by lutan
    Is there an intended manner to hold a rescue tool?

The tool should feel comfortable, balanced and easily operable in any position because that's the nature of rescue- we don't know how they're going to be used next!
    I simply meant that when you pick up a tool by its handles, it can feel heavier/lighter depending on where the weight is in relation to where you are holding it. That is my only point... don't read too much into my simple-minded thoughts...

Thread Information