Question Wanting to be a smoke eater

Hey everybody,
    I'm completely new here, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Lauren, I'm 20 years old, and I'm slowly but surely starting the process to becoming a firefighter.
    I've talked to many MANY volunteers, and they all say the same thing about Fire Fighter 1...."it's hard, but 'do-able'."
    I've gotten alot of harsh feedback from some other female firefighters as well....I guess it's because I don't look the part (I'm not exactly build like a brick s#*thouse, BUT I'm far from a girly girl). I've wanted to do this for well over 5 years now, so I'm not giving up now that I'm finally getting started.
    I just thought I'd ask you guys what you think it takes to make it through, and if you have any advice for a new 'buffalo' like myself.

Thanks,
    Lauren
    NJ

Can't really help you, because I'm going through the process as well. But I wish you the best of luck, and NEVER GIVE UP! If you don't make it this time around, try again! You'll have a jump start at the next one.

MembersZone Subscriber

What specifically are you looking for? I would be more than happy to help ya.

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Well,
    to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I wasn't raised in a firefighter family, so I didn't grow up around the equiptment or the lingo, so I'm really unfamiliar with it all. I know I don't want to be "venter", but other than that, I don't know what I want to do...just get in there and go.
    As I'm typing this, I really should be on my way to the fire house to sign up, but I keep putting it off because I guess I'm just really nervous about being the only girl on the team...I don't want to be viewed as a wussy girly girl, but I don't want to be ignored either.
    I know quite a few firefighters in my home town, and also in the surrounding areas...they all say that I can do it, but no one has given me any real specifics as to what I should expect at the acadamy. What should I do to prepare, what kind of activities will I be engaging in...etc. I'm just afraid, that I'll show up at the FF1 class, totally unprepared and behind the other applicants.
    So I guess what I'm asking for is "what to expect when I get to firefighter 1"

Lauren

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll email Ya.

:-D

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Cool

your hearts in the right place, now all you have to do is go to the fire hall, get the app. and become a f.f. Just dont be discouraged in your first year. I believe it is really hard trying to learn everything that is expected of you. We have a cadet program at our dept. and have two very good 16 year old firefighters that are females. If I could help you out any better dont be afraid to e-mail me, spankie
    spankie

Thread Information