Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Default Can we spend the money before we get it????

My department, among a few other items, has applied for new portable radios. We are wondering, and don't really know where to get the answer, if we can purchase them now and if we get a get, use the grant for reimbursement? We are planning on purchasing them either way, so it is not like we would really be "out" the money...just a little ahead of the game either. Webteam, FEMA, anybody, do you know the answer to this or can you point me in the correct direction to find out the answer to this question...

Administrator

We will verify this, but we're relatively certain you can't 'spend' the money until you're awarded.

Forum Member

I believe there is a clause in the federal registry that say something of if there were an emergency and this can be proven you may buy the supplies and be reimbursed if you get the grant if you get permission from fema. Check the federal register to get the final say so on that.
    Firefighters are Crazy!! But God bless each one of you all!!

Forum Member

Default Question ?

SWFD94
    It seems that a little clarification may be necessary. If you have the money to buy them anyway, why did you apply for a grant ? I'm sure there is more to the story, like those other items you mentioned may be the big portion of your grant.
    Good luck to all of us still waiting for Round ???.

Forum Member

Extrication tools and training materials make up the bulk of our grant app. However, the radios were added in close to the last minute per instruction/order from the chief. Yes, money is being budgeted this fiscal year for new radios if the grant is not succesfull. We applied for the grant because, like other departments, funds are limited and this would free up money to purchase other needed equipment.

Default emergency radio purchase

I was awarded 2 grants last year. One of them included the purchase of all new radios/pagers for all members. Due to a recent change in radio system & location of County Fire Dispatch, my voluteer department was missing calls. I was advised by FEMA that I would not be reimbursed for any purchases prior to award. FEMA was made aware of this emergency, and even after knowing of grant award, was not able to purchase radios until funds were recieved and in bank. I hope this info was useful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Forum Member

Yes, that helps. Thank you to all who responded!

WEB TEAM??? Please define awarded? Does that mean awarded the grant or untill the money actuall hits your account? Thanks bvfdchief

Thread Information