Question volunteer going paid

Hola from New Mexico. I am volunteer fire chief for a small community of about 2500. Our town borders a larger town of about 80,000. Our call volume is around 300 calls a year, which includes EMS. The town officials would like some input from myself on going to a combination paid/ volunteer department. The town is a tourist town which relates to an increase in population during the day to around 7000 people. The department is responsible for inspections, fire prevention, some codes, etc. Enough background and on to my question.
    **I would like some input on similar departments**
    pay, schedules, how they work with career vs. volunteer, what sold the town on the idea?

Thank you,
    Chief Chad Zecha

Forum Member

Lightbulb

how far away is the larger town? How spread out is your community? Do have a County dept.? Contact the the Taft, Ca or the Cambria Ca. FD's. They are both small towns that I know. they have one station. and it works for them. I don't know the phone #'s, sorry. Some dept. in this area have a full time Capt. and driver, and the ff are volunteer. They get the trucks there in quick time, and the volunteers just go to the scene. I will email you with the phone #'s of the 2 towns above.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Mesilla41, You might check with State Fire Marshalls office they might can give you some examples to follow, The only town on my side of the state about like yours is tucumcari they are paid on call but do not provide EMS that is a private for profit agency right now. Good luck and hope the info helps

D308
    Last edited by d308fd; 09-22-2002 at 06:15 PM.

The town is 5 square miles and the larger town next to us is right on our town limits. There is a county fire department, but they are broke up into 16 volunteer districts. One of the idea's on the board is to have two paid officers (chief and asst. chief)that work monday through friday 8-5 and 6 paid firefighters that work 2 man crews 24 on and 48 off. That way monday through friday the town has a 4 man crew from 8-5 and then the two ff's after 5 with back up from the volunteers.

Forum Member

I used to work for a small town with a population of 5000. I was one of two full time firefighters hired. There were part-time paid firefighters and volunteers. One of the big sellers on going paid for the city council was the fact that there were two school districts in the city limits that needed a guaranteed response during monday through friday during school hours. At the time it wasn't possible with volunteer staffing. We worked 8am to 5pm monday through friday and were on-call the rest of the time. This was one of the reasons I left for a larger department. Now, I work 24 on and 48 off, have better pay and benefits, and I am not subject to being on-call. That little town now has 24 on and 48 off shift personnel. So, if your little town has a school district with hundreds of children in attendance, a hospital, nursing home, or high occupancy operation going on, that would be something to use for leverage in going paid.
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Thread Information